Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Villa, San Cassiano or Selva for a cautious learner -recommendations sought

Poster: A snowHead
Having skied arabba myself for several years I'd like to introduce my partner to the Dolomites. She is a cautious learner and so I'm looking for somewhere more suitable for her than Arabba. La Villa, san Cassiano and Selva all look like possibilities. Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Vigilio. Mira is the perfect run to learn on
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
San Cassiano. Nice warm gondola lift to start the day, loads of blues all about, Las Vegas for end of day drinks and then a slide down a nice blue to end the day. Also has benefit of slopes being mostly v quiet - steer cautious learners well clear of the Sella Ronda. Nice relaxing village too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks JohnHSmith, don't know the place so will look into it.
Likewise, cheers DoubleBombardino, I've skied through, but never really taken much notice . Seems popular with a number of s/h's and is top of the list for the moment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at Alba (can personally recommend Hotel Sassleng). Take the Ciampac gondola to ski blues and easy reds, on the opposite side of the valley to the Sella Ronda, as far as Pozza. Also only 5 minutes on ski bus to Canazei, with more easy-ish reds in the Belvedere sector.

Also thinking of Moena. The Trevalli/Lusia area has some fantastic blues and easy reds; the pistes are wide,superbly prepared and extremely quiet. San Pellegrino area just a little further along the valley,(with regular ski bus service),looks good too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for San Cassiano. You can ski all day on nice easy blues and there are plenty of charming huts about. No drags. Mostly quiet slopes.

The Alba suggestion is also a very good one. A gentle sloping sunny bowl with nice huts on hand. Progression to Canazei and the lovely area up the busy gondola from there is only a short bus-ride away. Selva is busy and a bit more expensive. La Villa you seek out for La Risa.

Nice range of choices.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alba is a very sweet little area, but I'd recommend being based there. The bus from Canazei is a bit of a drag and the single bubble out of Canazei is an even bigger drag during busy periods.

Off to Selva myself in 18 days. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for San Cassiano and the Alta Badia area for a cautious learner, the rolling blues from Pralongia towards Armentarola are fantastic. Also the other way from Pralongia toward La Vizza is very quiet and wide, easy runs. The blue variant off the Corvara Boe gondola is a really long sweeping run down through the forest, just a little narrower steep bit at the top to negotiate.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the suggestions. Going to narrow it down to San Cassiano & Alba for the moment & see what flights & accom are available for march. Off to play in tignes next week & schladming in jan before then without worrying about entertaining the o/h snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Going to narrow it down to San Cassiano & Alba for the moment & see what flights & accom are available for march.

You could do worse and book in on this

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html#4

Great location (50 yds uphill from the lift, genuinely ski in/out) in San Casiano, accessible from both the blue and the red, decent accommodation (not luxury, but perfectly adequate),
great instruction - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93725 and really good at buildling confidence
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks bertie bassett, know the guys from a couple of Hemel visits to them. Not sure the o/h's skiing is up to the minimum level required for the course - pity as I like the idea of some gourmet spring skiing !! snowHead The accomodation, however, is currently my most favoured as it sounds as though the location & pistes would be eminently suitable & I've seen it recommended on s/h's a number of times before
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH wrote:
thanks bertie bassett, know the guys from a couple of Hemel visits to them. Not sure the o/h's skiing is up to the minimum level required for the course - pity as I like the idea of some gourmet spring skiing !! snowHead The accomodation, however, is currently my most favoured as it sounds as though the location & pistes would be eminently suitable & I've seen it recommended on s/h's a number of times before

In that case book her in for a 'building confidence clinic' @ hemel on Jan 13 or 15th (places going fast) and get a tune/up and assessment of whether she'd be upto it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, not a bad idea, though a bit of a slog from bristol . Will think on that
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
of the two (alba/san) i would go for San. the area is bigger and linked to others - alba is out on a limb, most uk tour operators are based in Canazie. Of your choices, I think Selva has the best/extensive learners slopes. Also, whilst considering your partner is admirable, you want an area suitable for your own standard of skiing............!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
Of your choices, I think Selva has the best/extensive learners slopes. !!

I agree with this. But I will point out that getting to the learner slopes can be a real chore. The slopes are on the edge of the village and will involve a long steep walk if you are staying in the main part of the village near to the main street. Not something you want to do in ski boots & carrying skis. If you are booked with the ski school then they will transfer you to the slopes via mini bus from the ski school offices. There is also a village bus that takes you to the learner slopes but it is not a frequent one. Third option is to take the chair lift up and ski down to the valley station of the Dantercepies gondola which is very near to the learner slopes.
snow report
albob, good point about Alba being out of it a bit, hence my current preference for San C. Having had my couple of weeks play on my own before the trip it will be somewhat sacrificial on my half, but having skied out of arabba a number of times it'll be good to have a different base & I've yet to check out Kronplatz, which I might be able to from there.
jimmybog, thanks for your thoughts, rather confirms what I thought of Selva & hence my preference for San C as being probably much more low key &generally quieter which will definitely suit her more.
snow conditions
nickH, new for this year we are running three coaches on the upcoming trip to San Cassiano to accomodate an improvers group. If she is a level 5 on our scale she would be fine and fit in real well with that group
latest report
Hi skimottaret, am seriously considering it, but suspect it touch and go with the 5 rating. On a good day she probably is, but as a late-in-life learner she is struggling somewhat with fear, confidence & fitness. Last year she didn't complete the weeks ski lessons ( mind you it snowed much of the week &it was heavy going ) &spent the days out walking which in many ways she enjoyed as much. Thinking I might come on the course & let her walk - though I shall feel some obligation to see something of her sometime !! snowHead
snow conditions
nickH, the coaching is half days and she could duck out in pm so may not be too intense, drop Rob an email as he is coordinating the groups for this trip to see if it would be sensible...
latest report
skimottaret, was already on my mind, so will do.
snow report
nick - there are two Michelin starred resturants in San : if the other half hates the skiing, you can always do penance for your skiing all day by treating her............................! Wink
snow conditions
albob, now decided I'd better not show this thread to the o/h !! Laughing
snow report
albob wrote:
nick - there are two Michelin starred resturants ...
There are indeed. Here's a Telegraph article about them.
snow report
rob@rar, ok, now I definitely won't.!! Smile
ski holidays
nickH, Laughing
snow report
nickH, here's the deal clincher for your mrs - George Clooney hangs out in San Cass - job done.
snow conditions
DoubleBombardino, Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy