Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TNF soft shell with layers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm staying up near Oxford for the weekend and got dragged to Bicester Outlet Village. Thankfully they have a North Face outlet shop. I found a TNF Apex Valkyrie for £117 and a TNF Parabolika for £69. The former is clearly a soft shell, while the latter seems like a hybrid soft shell/fleece. Its water/wind resistant and breathable. The guy in the shop thought that with it being water resistant then it wouldn't work we'll as a mid-layer - is he right?

Cheers

S
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SpiderJ, I'd imagine it wouldn't be as breathable as a normal fleece. Nor as "lofting".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not much point buying something wind or waterproof as a mid. A normal fleece will be less bulky, lighter and warmer and much more breathable so it won't turn into a sweatbox when you warm up. It'd make a nice outer layer for milder temperatures, something that a normal fleece wouldn't be nearly so useful for.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is the Parabolika: http://www.tetongravity.com/gear/product/the-north-face-parabolika-14-jacket-mens/TNF6797/ (although the one I'm looking at is full zip)

It's very light, not bulky, and claims to be warm and breathable. I just can't figure out how it can be good as an outer layer AND a mid-layer under a soft shell? I don't need it for the former, just the latter.

Cheers

S
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll work as a mid, but no-one suggested it'll be good as one. Softshells of any sort are intended to be worn on the outside, after all. If you don't want or need a lightweight outer layer, don't bother with it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Smile all new to this layering lark.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy