Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania - early Jan? (or Courcheval 1650 or Tignes/Val Claret).

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are keen to go to 3V. Very mixed group - 2 expert skiers (one better off piste, one better on piste)but basically both are excellent - and get bored so the two weaker skiers will have lessons in the AM.

The weaker skiers are: me - happy to putter along on blues, panics on reds (but I can mostly do them) and a technically excellent blue run skier who seriously lacks confidence and skis very slowly and doesn't like going places that she hasn't already been with an instructor.

I'm keen to go to La Tania as I've heard good things about it (and we can't find accommodation easily in 1850). Expert skier 1 not keen as concerned about snow cover early in season to ski back.

Due to lack of availability in 1850 we are considering bailing and going to either Val d'Isere or Tignes (Val Claret). We have been to Tignes before 4 years ago which was the weaker skiers first ski holiday in years. Hopefully the issues we had with not being able to ski home / being quite limited in where we could go will largely have resolved as we've got better.... The other option would be 1650.....

Any thoughts? Any support for La Tania that I can use as a counter argument (I fancy posh chalet which is the option there more than posh self catering, but the price difference allows posh self catering to become restaurant dinner every night so we won't actually be cooking much).

Other resort wise: Les Arcs and La Plagne are out as they have been over skied in recent years by the two good guys. Other suggestions would be considered.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
katyn wrote:
Expert skier 1 not keen as concerned about snow cover early in season to ski back.

He's 100% wrong.

I've done at least 20 weeks in La Tania in December/January over 11 of the last 13 seasons and you will not have any issue with snow cover whatsoever. The blue run home, Folyeres, has snowmaking from top to bottom and they start building it up from early December. It's also sheltered in between trees so it doesn't get windblown. The bottom half of the red, Moretta Blanche is often a bit sketchy and can be closed but it doesn't matter because Folyeres is always open. There's also a green all the way down which crosses both runs so you can bale out if the red is too tough or you don't fancy the last section of the blue.

And if all that doesn't convince you, you can also take the gondola down!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
katyn, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Would agree with Raceplate, - I can only speak for the past 5/6 seasons and skiing into the village is always possible on one or other of the home-bound slopes. Should the worst happen, the gondola is there. The Folyeres is a lovely run and brings you out at the top of the nursery slope and straight into the village for lunch or some apres before heading home.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Tania is a superb base for skiing the 3V. Folyeres is one of the best blues ever and what is more you are only one gondola from the heart of the action in Courchevel. La Tania is also very reasonable for prices compared to some places in 3V and is quite a nice little community. Can't go wrong.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Tania has a huge thumbs up... Love the place and would buy somewhere there if I could afford what I wanted... Sad The runs back home are great runs for those 'last of the day' Usually quiet and can really burn your thighs if done in one go...

La Tania has some great little bars and eateries as well... A really cool little base for the 3V, nestled in the trees... Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Love the place ,been going there for 24 years .Try Sweetsnowsports for lessons . If you do go ,ENJOY
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm. Thanks all.

I got overruled. We are off to courcheval 1650 as the only accom. we could find in 1850 involved us all sharing a room!

I WILL get to La Tania at some point.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I got overruled. We are off to courcheval 1650 as the only accom. we could find in 1850 involved us all sharing a room!

I WILL get to La Tania at some point.....
New post Mon 26 Nov, 12
08:20 Reply with quote

You in particular (as you say "happy to putter along on blues, panics on reds ") will love 1650, it is almost all blues cruising. But I will also add my vote for La Tania, only once have I ever found that I could not ski all the way to the gondola and that was at the end of the 2011 season, when you couldn't get within a mile of meribel, even then it was only broken from under the bridge, the last 20 metres. In normal seasons it has been excellent all the way down folyeres which along with bouc blanc is a delightful run at the end of the day. In fact on a slushy end of March day the run down to La tania keeps about the best snow in the 3V. IMHO you did better with 1650 than 1850 although I would happily even stay there again if the "price is right". When are you going to 1650, I'm sure you'll be able to slip in a sneaky trip to La Tania some other time in the season snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
katyn, You may still be able to get across to La Tania to see what we're all talking about Laughing Have a fab time and hope we'll see you in LT one date - PM me if I can ever help
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
katyn, you don't say exactly when in early Jan you're booking but I probably should have mentioned earlier that the first 2 weeks of Jan are the 'Russian weeks' which is why you're struggling to find accommodation. Russian New Year next year is Sunday Jan 6th so the valley will be full of them until the following weekend when most of them go home.

In preference, they all go to 1850 but it's now so popular that there is an overspill to the other Courchevel resorts and Meribel. La Tania has not been particularly affected in the past but last year I had Russians in the apartment next to mine for that week and I've noticed that my apartment block is already fully booked for the second week of January which is officially low season - that has to be Russians. You're unlikely to find them in a mixed chalet though (if that's what you've booked) - IME they only book chalets as sole occupancy groups.

I've never had any great problem with them personally other than they seem a bit ignorant of western public niceties (but that's their culture - you can't really blame them for how they're brought up). In fact when I worked a season in Meribel as a driver they were always extremely polite to me and were always very interested in my Land Rover; they did upset the younger and the female staff, though. If they do pi55 you off just remember most of them are fluent in English! When I go back now I just do a passable impression of a grumpy Frenchman wink

Hope this doesn't come across as trying to put you off; it's just a bit of a heads up. 1650 has lots going for it - easy skiing, getting 'Mutzed' in the Signal bar, chilling in the Schuss, live music in the Funky Fox, cheap lunch in the Bubble or the Boulangerie and lots more. Enjoy and go across to La Tania for lunch one day in Pub Le Ski Lodge (it's only 3 lifts from 1650 - Ariondaz/Gravelles/Coqs or Plantrey) - I recommend the Chilli Burger Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thansk all. Yes we are going Russian week! We knew about this. I'm quite looking forward to the Fireworks..

Having eyed up the piste maps now I really think 1650 is going to work well for us and the deal we got was really good with inclusive flights from Edinburgh. Next year I'm based in London and will do my utmost to persude my second ski trip buddies to book La Tania. They have kids and he has been before so I suspect it won't be too hard....

I'm not sure if they speak grumpy sweary Scots... I'm sure I'll find out when someone cuts me up in a lift line.

In a shared chalet with what sounds like interesting bathing arrangements...... (we have a private bath but not accessible from our room). Friends have a shower but not an ensuite loo......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
katyn, There's some lovely easy runs skiing into 1650 and its less Russian oriented, they tend to stay in 1850.

La Tania has the prettiest tree-lined skiing in the Courchevel valley! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
katyn, You will enjoy 1650 but at least you can try the run down to La Tania for yourself. It has snow cannons all the way down so snow cover shouldn't ever be a problem until very late in the season when it gets warmer. I would say though that the Folyeres can get pretty icy and some beginners actually get freaked out from trees on either side of the run. I personally love that run - I hope you will enjoy it!

Lots of easy, wide blues in 1650, the only piste there you should avoid is the Roc Mugnier red run - bumpy and icy! There are some lovely, easy blues around the Pyramide lift! Have a great time!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy