Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Years Eve at a Ski Resort

Poster: A snowHead
ok... this might be a silly question... but do people dress up for New Years Eve at Ski Resorts? I don't mean the fancydress skiing during the day... I mean in the evening? In the UK, whenever I've been to a Hotel for NewYearsEve, people tend to dress in Black-tie and Party Dresses... but having never been to a skiresort hotel over NYE before, I don't want to go and find everyone else is dressed up, and I'm still wearing normal apres-ski clothes... equally, I don't want to pack "posh frocks" only to find it was a waste of the precious baggage allowance!!

Help?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not in the resorts I go to they don't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamescollings, depends where you are staying, I've noticed in some of the TO brochures some hotel descriptions say something like 'New Year gala dinner, jacket and tie required' so if you've booked with a TO you could check that. We usually stay in a chalet with our own group so don't, but one year we were in a nice hotel in France and did dress up but not black tie, just party dresses and nice shirts if I remember correctly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent new year in Tignes one year, and it was good fun, but relaxed. I'm not sure what hotels you're going to but I've never seen anyone getting dressed up in black tie at the dos I go to. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef wrote:
I spent new year in Tignes one year, and it was good fun, but relaxed. I'm not sure what hotels you're going to but I've never seen anyone getting dressed up in black tie at the dos I go to. Smile

That's all we wear at my do's!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Not in the resorts I go to they don't.

+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you are dining where you are staying then practicality outweighs sartorial elegance any time! Long Johns and D-J anyone?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lot of resorts have fireworks on at midnight so it's wrap up warm time. Although I usually try to find a nice sparkly woolly hat to make it a bit special Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In all the resorts local restaurants I`ve been at no one has dressed up in a formal sense. Younger folk have often had silly hats on, and I usually managed a slightly glittery jumper of some sort. Fireworks at mid night are common so its the full on keep warm gear to go and watch.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I put my nice top on! Was the only time I wore it all season. Still had Sorel's and Jeans on though wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your name is James, and you are talking about packing frocks? Dare I suggest you are on the wrong forum Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cstreat wrote:
Your name is James, and you are talking about packing frocks? Dare I suggest you are on the wrong forum Shocked

Wink I was posting that aspect on behalf of the Mrs! Infact... she was the one who had the crazy notion of people dressing up (we were in Cumbria last year, and that really was black-tie).

Thanks for the replies everyone... normal clothes it will be!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Without stating the obvious buddy, depends where you are going and what your idea of a night on the town is... Most bars I have done on NYE have been pretty grungy, hot, sweaty, rammed, loud and amazingly full of drunk people Very Happy Very Happy Just the way I like it...

Def no black ties in sight Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For many years New Year's eve was a black tie / ball gown affair in Wengen. It all ended about the turn of the millennium. No idea why, it just suddenly died out.

I used to enjoy it, but as others have mentioned above, it's not the most practical clothing for watching the fireworks after dinner. A lot of extra stuff to pack too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When we've been out at New Year it's always been an outside job so full thermals, strong bottle and an immunity to fire.
This year it's Matrei and last time was like the Somme in the market place.
ski holidays
Normally make a bit of an effort, wear a shirt rather than tshirt, or blazer over the tshirt. Generally see a mix, from black-tie to baggy jeans and hoodies, and everything in between. Wear what you want.

Obv if going to a very upmarket restaurant you may want to dress up more, but most bars tend to be a mix of whatever people want to wear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy