Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - Which level?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Thinking about going to Les Arcs this year. Which is the best level to stay at for aprés ski and piste access? Thanks for any advice!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Piste access is generally good in al the villages although that will obviously depend where in the village, but plenty of places offer ski in/out. Arc 1800 probably best for more lively apres-ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you want from the Apres? If you want night clubs dancing then the best place is Arc 1800, 1600 has live music at the Abrevoir, restaurants, a cinema but not much else. Bourg has all the amenities of a large town including an excellent swimming pool. There are fairly lively bars in 2000 and a new bowling alley complex. I haven't stayed in Arc 1950 or Villaroger and it has been so long since I have stayed in Vallandry it wasn't called Vallandry then, so I cannot comment on them. There are nice bars in each of the villages

As to slope access I will rank them as follows:

Arc 2000,
Arc 1950
Arc 1600.
Vallandry
Arc 1800 - much of the accommodation is below the bottom stations of the lifts
Bourg

Though I have walked back to 1600 after a night out in 1800 the other villages are really too far apart to contemplate a night out in another. (I had better put a health and safety warning on that. "Bearing in mind the number of British skiers who have died returning home while drunk please do not do that walk while intoxicated")
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE, nicely put. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice! That's really useful. Thinking about going later in the season so probably the higher the better...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends on what you mean by "later in the season" I take it you mean mid to late April.
The only time I have any problems were both at the very end of April: in one case they closed Arc 1600 on the very last day of the season and the other when we had one day descending to Arc 1800 on the chairlift before the snow returned with a vengeance and that was over 20 years ago. They really try hard to keep the runs to the resort open so it doesn't really matter how late in the season it is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's good to know, thanks johnE!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stay in 2000, couple of hours in 1950including singing at George's wine bar, then back to 2k for a late one
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1800....I was in les arcs last dec and stormy weather closed the resort a fair bit esp the links between 1800 and 2000. People in 1800 got the best deal, usually still able to ski 1600, 1800 and Peisey Vallandry. But people, in 2000 were confined to 2000 and quite often just 2 or 3 runs. (just enough to avoid refunds on lift pass!!!!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Despite good lift system Les Arcs not as easy to move around as eg 3V or EK. 1800 has best access to all areas as well as quick access to Vanoise cablecar to La Plagne. If you are looking to join advanced or off-piste group you can only do this in 1800 outside peak times. You will have extra 30m trek to slopes which won't be a dealbreaker. I normally stay in 1600 because we like hotel cachette which is good for kids but takes longer to get to lots of places
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We stay3d at 1950 last January. Seems great access to slopes. Straight out of door, walk up tiny hill for 10secs and ski to first chair lift which just opens up all the runs. Took about 30 mins for us to ski to big lift taking us over to la plagne but because the way la plagne is we could only get as far as belle plagne before we had to start skiing back. If we were staying in other heights we would be closer to L.A. plagne lift so could get further into la plagne, but don't think would get that much further (ie couldn't ski all of it when staying les arcs) 1950 is quiet but really pretty fora ski resort/area. V picturesque in the snow. Good pools etc, spar is quite expensive as are the restaurants, but that could be les arcs in general. We loved the area for skiing. Best place we have been to (but we have only been to a few resorts). Here is one of my vidsfrom skiing and some 1950 footage
http://youtube.com/v/THPQYcCzDRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jon Ford wrote:
We stay3d at 1950 last January. Seems great access to slopes. Straight out of door, walk up tiny hill for 10secs and ski to first chair lift which just opens up all the runs. Took about 30 mins for us to ski to big lift taking us over to la plagne but because the way la plagne is we could only get as far as belle plagne before we had to start skiing back. If we were staying in other heights we would be closer to L.A. plagne lift so could get further into la plagne, but don't think would get that much further (ie couldn't ski all of it when staying les arcs) 1950 is quiet but really pretty fora ski resort/area.

blimey - you must have been going at new year week, or ski super slowly to only make it to belle plagne. Only 2 lifts required to get from 1950 to the vanoise express, Marmottes & arcabule and then the long run down to plan-peisey. a few years back there was a snowHead challenge to go from villaroger to montalbert and back - IIRC it's around 50 minutes from villaroger to the vanoise express and c. and hour from the VE to montalbert, and pretty much the same times in reverse...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Indeed it doesn't take that long to get to La Plagne, Last Christmas we went over Champagny for lunch on Christmas eve. It is only 2 lifts from Arc 1600 and one from the other centres to the Vanoise express. In normal circumstances you can get to anywhere in La Plagne from anywhere in Les Arcs, but why you should want to is a bit beyond me.
bertie bassett, the only lift you need to get from 1950 to the Vanoise express is Bois de l'Ours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are cruisy blue skiers. We take in the sights, do a bit of filming, stop for a.hot choccie. All the things that make skiing a joyful holiday (well, for us anyway)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit off topic but is the Flying Squirrel bar still operating in Plan Peisey ? Had a few happy evenings in there - including quiz night. I heard Will had moved on....
snow report
Jon Ford, I think you should do 1800. The main run back to 1600 is red (cachette) but quite steep. 1950 and 2000 access some great but all difficult mogully blacks. You will probably enjoy the skiing most around 1800. Personally I think Les Arcs is not good for cruisy blue skiing, most of blues on map are flat or linking runs. La Plagne would suit you much better
latest report
patricksh wrote:
Personally I think Les Arcs is not good for cruisy blue skiing, most of blues on map are flat or linking runs.
In many resorts some of those runs would be green, but I've never understood why Les arcs doesn't use that grade on its piste map. Lots of the reds, especially the glorious ones through the trees down to Vallandry, are pretty tame and well suited to blue-piste cruisers.
snow report
Arcs 1950 is well located for skiing access (a piste goes right through the village), although I did find it a bit like a Disney set (well it was built by Intrawest). Nightlife when I was there was v quiet v little apres and for our after dinner beer there was only us i the pub.

Andy
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think we will go with 1800 this year and try to explore the whole area from there. Sounds like it is a pretty good base and accommodation looks reasonable.
ski holidays
Dubaian wrote:
Bit off topic but is the Flying Squirrel bar still operating in Plan Peisey ? Had a few happy evenings in there - including quiz night. .

No - not as you remember it - a couple of years ago Will sold it too some frenchies to run as a wine bar, no idea whether it will have survived through to this season

Dubaian wrote:
I heard Will had moved on....

Last seen hanging out in norway I believe..

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 25-11-12 21:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

The main run back to 1600 is red (cachette) but quite steep.

To get onto the Cachette piste from elsewhere in Les Arcs is actually quite tricky. You have to either go up Combourciere from Pre st Espirit or take the slow Clocheret lift and Clapet to the start of the piste. This is one of the reasons that the Cachette piste is usually empty. The normal routes to return to 1600 are: Sources, Gollet and now Mont Blanc all blues. Remarkably since the Chantel lift closes around 17:00 we often arrive back in 1600 along Gollet in the gathering dusk. Beautiful.

Charlie_B, I think 1800 sounds ideal for you.
ski holidays
johnE, I think he was talking about the lower half of the cachette piste which you join from the blue run coming back to Arc 1600 from the Arpette resturant. He is correct, it is steep and can be very icy as they use the left side for race training. Everyone gets put over the right side and it gets very skied out. But you are also right, you can get back on the blues the whole way, so it has something for everyone. Me, I like going through the trees and coming out almost in ARc 1600 when there is fresh deep powder like last year. Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy, Do you mean turning off on the cachette piste where Source crosses it? If so Roulles (which is red on my old piste map) or that lovely cuttoff down the footpath to the top of the drag lift are perhaps more fun. If you want to go down the Cachette then stick to the left hand side and down the gentle bumps.

Cachette itself is definitely worth doing in its own right. It is often almost deserted and has great visibility so you can charge really fast. We often do it as the first warm up in the morning.
snow report
johnE, yes there are loads of ways to get back to Arc 1600, it just depends how well you ski and what you like. I know some people who only ski pistes, others that prefer off piste like me and some that just enjoy crusing everywhere. That is what is great about skiing a place like Les Arcs, you can do loads of everything in one ski area. Even in bad weather we have more skiable forest areas than most resorts.

If you like skiing back country and you are out in Les Arcs this season, send me a PM or post me a message over on my facebook page and we could meet up for a beer or even a ski in the powder if we are lucky. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy