Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can Someone Give Me The Low Down On Meribel??

Poster: A snowHead
I fancy trying Meribel, did 3V last year but stayed at Val Thoren and didnt see any of Meribel town. Busy looking for accomodation now and want to be close to all the apres action and pubs which I believe are in Meribel Centre but we also like to be close to the lifts. Is this possible in Meribel? Everything i can find is 800m+ away from a lift if it is near the centre? I understand the valley is also split up into lots of little villages, which area is best for close lifts/piste with out being too far out from the apres scene? Alot of accomodation claims to be next to the dicks Tea Bar, where is this located?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

the dicks Tea Bar

Laughing got it in one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd stick with VT.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just pop down to Guildford town centre - similar vibe, generaly better snow Twisted Evil

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-11-12 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gav_in59,

Meribel is the main village which is where the action is, and includes places liked Dicks, Barometer and a fair few others. It's quite elongated however so if you're staying down by Dick's it a good walk to where the lifts run up/down aka la chaudanne

winding up the hill from meribel is a road that runs up to 'rond pont des pistes' which is where the Ronnie (apres bar) is located. It's possible to ski back from the rond pont intowards the town and down to la chaudanne

Further up the valley is meribel mottaret, which I'm sure has a bar or too. Spread further down the valley is places like Les Allues, Raffort and Les villages which may (or may not) have a decent bar - Lodge du village in les villages spread to mind. These are lifted linked but then but back after apres is bus or taxi (28 euro last season from villages to les allues)

there's a map here which pretty much sums up the valley - but if night lift is your thing then you want to be in meribel itself.

This thread adds some more colour - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2147320&highlight=meribel+seasonnaires#2147320 I especially like the comment

Chris198 wrote:
If you don't mind the large number of "too cool for school" seasonnaires that dominate the Ronnie, then you'll have a great time

Sums the place up completely
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Full of Brits and stones
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the feedback, doesnt look like Meribel is too popular with most snowheads ha. We are just looking for somewhere new, large ski area and average/good apres. We have done the resorts listed below but like to try a new one each season, any suggestions welcome for ths years trip?

Tignes
Pas de la Casa
La Rosiere
Pila
La Plagne
Alpe D'Huez
Val Thoren
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ever thought of Austria? If you like après you'll like Austria!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gav_in59 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, doesnt look like Meribel is too popular with most snowheads ha. We are just looking for somewhere new, large ski area and average/good apres. We have done the resorts listed below but like to try a new one each season, any suggestions welcome for ths years trip?

Tignes
Pas de la Casa
La Rosiere
Pila
La Plagne
Alpe D'Huez
Val Thoren

Looks like you need some Austrian - take yer picky from Ischgl, Mayrhofen, St. Anton and probably quite a few more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gav_in59, if you've skied Val Thorens- and you like to try somwhere new - then forget Meribel. You've been there already, you just didn't realise.

Verbier might suit
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lib-banana wrote:
Just pop down to Guildford town centre - similar vibe, generaly better snow Twisted Evil

Genuinely one of the funiest things i've read for a few weeks Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The clue is in the thread title ...

it's a little bit too low down
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gav_in59, given that list, and if you want to stay in France, the obvious gap is Val D'Isere. But the Austrian suggestions sound like more of a change.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meribel Village is about 2km from the centre of Meribel

The Folie Douce opens up the mountain in Meribel and is going to be a fantastic apres ski bar, far better than the Rond Point, or as it has become know the Ronnie!

Alpine Action have chalets and an apartment in "Meribel Centre"

We offer holidays with flights and transfers or accommodation only, please call 01273 466535 for further details, we know all there is to know about Meribel and where to be!

www.alpineaction.co.uk

sales@alpineaction.co.uk Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gav_in59, There is the Inghams chalet hotel (Les Grangettes) right by the lifts if you are looking for a package deal. It is pretty basic but the location is great.

If not then most chalet companies offer a minibus service and will drive you to and from the slopes. There are many cool bars in Meribel and it is a fun resort. The snow might not be the best in Meribel itself but you can easily access the other valleys.

If you are keen on a big resort then you could try Val d'Isere or Tignes in the Espace Killy or Les Arcs in the Paradiski. You also have Morzine which has a decent aprés-ski offering and the Portes du Soleil will keep you busy for sure.

Of course you can try Austria for a change or Switzerland - Zermatt is great fun!
ski holidays
Went to meribel last December, stayed with alpine elements in a chalet near the rond pont. Had a 50m walk to the slope to ski down to the chaudanne lifts, could ski pretty much back to the chalet. It was a 10-15 min walk down to all the main bars or the ski bus went from pretty much outside the chalet. Loved the ski area as you are right in the middle of the 3 vallees. Couldn't see much the week we were there as it was a white out pretty much everyday but the snow conditions were the best I have experienced. Definitely will go back.

Try Soll in Austria if you want great après, the ski welt is also a great ski area.
snow report
gav_in59, If you wanted to go back to the 3V area, and specifically the other side to VT, then I would suggest La Tania... Ok so the place is 'a lot' smaller and is on the whole a family area, but from wherever you stay, you are pretty much at the lifts and piste and there a couple of great, very lively, bars in the village... Not to say it is a beautiful village nestled in the trees...

http://www.publeskilodge.com/photogallery.html
http://www.easytaiga.com/ - Had some very good nights in here...
http://www.enimages.net/visites/savoie/la-tania/hiver/commerces/la-taiga/visite.php

I have ridden around Meribel a couple of times visiting my cousin, who lives and works in a place at the La Chaudanne and despite what has been already said, I really liked it... Stayed down in Les Allues, which is a great place with good access, via bubble or very frequent bus, and in good snow you can ride all the way back down at the end of the day... However, if you are after 'big' pares then there is only one bar here (which is still a cool little bar for a beer, run by a scouse bloke I think)

http://www.tsaretta-meribel-lesallues.co.uk/

Hope this is helpful buddy... Enjoy your trip, wherever you decide...
snow conditions
I went to Meribel a few years ago and had a great time! Skiing down from the Ronie was fun but dangerous... Smile The snow was great as well but I guess that's down to luck as well!
snow conditions
Val d'Isere huge area, something to frighten anyone I promise you. Or as suggested La Tania or La Praz both give entry to 3V, Tania good for OP back of Meribel or if OOmpah is more your bag St>Anton plus Lech
latest report
I've lived around Meribel for years and can assure you it's a great resort to base yourself in to get the best from the 3 Valleys. Après wise there's a massive new Folie Douce bar/ restaurant opening this winter on the sunny Saulire side of the valley, après will never be the same again. If you know VT you'll probably have an idea of what to expect.
ski holidays
I never quite understand some of the negativity about Meribel. I love the place.

Yes, the Ronnie is full of "daddy's credit card' types but also there are some pretty cool people there too. We end everyday skiing there, have a couple of beers then ski or bus (depending on amount of beers) back down to the centre.

La Tavern is an awesome place for some decent food and a beer during the day, Barometer is ok too (but I think they are getting a little above their station with their prices.... sheessh, who do they think they are??? Le Poste?!).

If you're lazy, you will find the full-fledged English spots, but put a little thought and there is plenty of options!

Love skiing too!

#AllezMeribel

#yesididjustuseahashtagonapost
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy