Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should TO ski guides be banned if they're not wearing a helmet ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think the title of this thread says it all (OK, OK, asks it all).
But I honestly don’t see the point in em.

So on the negative side:
Most of em can’t ski very well.
Most of em have no idea what to do if things goes wrong.
Most of em are operating illegally (and no it not the same as you taking your mates around and you know it)
Most of em have no worthwhile training to do the job their being paid for.
Most of em aren’t insured to the job their doing (as they've neither been trained nor assessed as being competent).
Most of em ... well you get the idea

OK then, on the plus side:
Most of em make it unnecessary for their paying clients to look at a piste map (yes you are paying for it)
That’s about it on the plus side

The lucky thing is the some people in France have decided to put a stop to this absurd situation and not be bowed by the threat by some TO’s to pull out of various resorts.

PS. I'm going to organise a flash-mob in Admin's kitchen if anyone is up for it Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-11-12 17:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't this going to be an exact duplication of the other thread?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK your right - I have change the title
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you book with a TO and want this service, then accept it.

If you don't book with a TO, does it matter?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ooo the goalposts moved while I was typing.

If someone doesn't want to wear a helmet then so be it. Maybe their insurance should reflect this.

My personal view is that anyone supervising children where children must wear a helmet to comply with law, then the supervisor must also wear a helmet. Any instructor whilst teaching should perhaps also wear a helmet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought the point of TO ski guides was to use them as a human piste map, have the opportunity to meet up with a group of skiers rather than go solo and get some insider knowledge on where the best value eateries etc are?
If I want to learn technique I'll pay for lessons.
I like the guiding model based on my understanding of it and I think it is well worthwhile having it available.
I would expect something altogether different from a qualified guide I was paying for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Fox wrote:
Any instructor whilst teaching should perhaps also wear a helmet.

Ahh, but does that mean TO hosts should wear helmets? Because after all, they aren't teaching Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only reason they should be banned is if their customers are confused about what they're getting. Do they think they're getting somebody prepared (able and willing) to take responsibility for their safety? If yes, there's an obvious problem. If not, there's just as obviously not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The helmet seems to be a red herring no Puzzled

I don't use TO's anymore but when I did I never used the ski host service as I was always skiing with mates. Not that the latter rules the possibly out. Neither is skiing alone ruled out. I find it quite pleasant to a point, though obviously it limits much off piste activity or makes it markedly more risky. But then a ski host shouldn't really be taking you off piste anyhow. Anyway, despite my personal lack of use (I'd rather investigate and get to know the area under my own steam) I don't see much harm in them. I think most of your negs can be countered and there are more positives: such as people can ski more sociably (in bigger numbers), there is someone neutral to try and do the best for the group, etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne wrote:
Most of em aren’t insured to the job their doing
of course they are. Do you think the likes of TUI offer hosting without having liability insurance in place?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

OK then, on the plus side:
Most of em make it unnecessary for their paying clients to look at a piste map (yes you are paying for it)

we're often on limited ski time -having to get back to ski school at certain times, so a good guide would be useful in planning a route that would best suit our time constraints. Hate getting to ski school that bit early, but with not quite enough time to squeeze in another run. Having said that, never used one and doubt -I ever will. Im on the side of those that think the argument against guides is just job protectionism.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne wrote:

rolling eyes

You see, the funny thing is when I use a TO and go and stay in one of their convivial chalets, complete with fireplace, I realise I am probably paying for several things that the TO isn't actually providing themselves.

For instance, they don't rear the livestock that is eventually cooked and served up as wholesome, welcome food. But I kinda know that and happily accept this.

They probably didn't build the chalet nor do they manage it. Someone else in the chain gets their slice and, you know what. I am entirely happy with that too.

Regarding the Ski Host. Well, it wasn't advertised as part of my package. Neither was the service offered as a specific "nice surprise extra" when I tipped up at said chalet.

It was, however, offered as an opportunity to meet some fellow skiers, to have an informal show around the principle areas of the resort. All ability requirements clearly described. All opportunities to bow out clearly offered. Just a very informal arrangement

Now, the funny thing is, is that I sort of suspected that I might have paid for the Lead Rep to be there - after all, they seemed to be vaguely in charge of us poor leaderless holiday-makers. So the very informal Ski Host was probably being paid somewhere in the chain of things, along with everything else that formed part of my ski holiday cost. But as this was never part of the contractual holiday offering, I fail to see that the above comment has any relevance to be honest.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy