Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA - Which is the besttt?

Poster: A snowHead
im 75% sure im gonna book a UCPA holiday as seem such good value for money, wanted to know any bad experiences and where NOT to go!

will be for myself and girlfreind both 20 snowHead

looking for a good night life but want to know best place for skiing for a newbie & intermediate Smile

Going 16th of March Smile

any suggestions welcome !

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Argentiere, apparently the most dated centre (at the time I went anyway, Jan 2010), not the best nightlife and not the best place for a newbie.

I was a newbie and I had a brilliant time and several good nights out though, so make of that what you will!

Instructors are very good IME, certainly better than the ESF guys I've seen in action (although disclaimer: I'm sure there's good ones at ESF and bad ones at UCPA, yada yada yada).

Val Thorens looked a bit far down the hill for the nightlife side of things.

La Plagne ("Le France", in 1800) is in a great location, right above a piste and near the lifts. Not too sure about the nightlife and it's quite an ugly building, if that bothers you.

Not sure about any others. But I think you'll have a great time whichever you go to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looking at Flaineee or Val thorens as can be their for my 21st Shock Very Happy (28th march )

(if the snow will be okay then???)

does anyone know pirces of drinks their i will "pre load" before hand but wonna hit the bars hard!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow will be fine at Val Thorens then and I imagine Flaine too, unless something terrible happens (in which case it won't matter where you go).

Val Thorens is expensive but a good night out (for a bunch of 19-25 yr olds anyway...). Only thing is it looked like a bit of a trek up the hill from the UCPA which could be annoying.

Can't speak for Flaine, but I presume it's a bit cheaper. Dunno where the UCPA is though, nor what the nightlife is like.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are 2 I think at Les Deux Alpes, at either end of the resort. Reasonably priced resort with decent nightlife. Skiing ought to be suitable. I've no experience of either UCPA though.

Edit - although there is only one shown now, the other must have closed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, looking really at val thorens or flainee as do student discount for my other half!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ladtalk, if you want your own room, rather than dorms, that will greatly narrow down your list of UCPA centres - you could ask Action Outdoors which have double rooms. The other major factor is that you can only go by coach to some centres (Flaine has double rooms and coach travel, which is why I suggested it). Other methods of getting yourselves there will be a lot more expensive (they will do airport transfers, prices on their website, and then add cost of flights to Geneva)/ Frankly, hitting the bar hard will cost you a fortune in any of the resorts with UCPA centres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have only done UCPA once - Chamonix for xmas 2 years ago.
Cham prob not the best for newbie and intermediate, due to the logistics in Cham (lots of buses, separate ski areas etc), nothing to do with UCPA.

UCPA I'd highly recommend, on every metric - good value, excellent tuition, good vibe. Also, no issue bringing your own wine in for supper, and the 'in house' drinks prices were reasonable. and (at least on the offpiste intro) they provide all kit, so another 'saving' you can put to beer money.

make sure you budget for 'outside' bar prices though- it's no fun trying to skimp!

Dorms would be fine. If you're used to hostelling. Rooms are a _bit_ more civilised (shared toilets still), but prob more benefit to the older UCPA crowd (like myself) who can't party all night and _still_ get up for freshtracks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm doing the UCPA High Mountain Off-piste week in Chamonix in March. I've heard good things about it, from the point of view as a solo traveller. If I was going with friends, I'd still consider it, but not so much if it was a couple.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ladtalk, you've said you want somewhere for nightlife and suitable for both newbies and intermediates....

Nightlife is small and perfectly formed in Flaine with about three or four potentially lively bars and a nightclub all within stumbling distance - it's not the Moosewirt or Val D'Isere but you will have fun and spend the week meeting mostly the same groups of people. The centre itself is up a small flight of steps from the nursery slope (which is a great one for your newbies) and your intermediates can pretty much ski back to the door. It used to be a Club Med so has either twin or quad rooms all en suite - which is the lap of luxury for UCPA.

Val Thorens has recently been refurbished and has the reputation as being a very social centre. This is probably because it is slightly out of town, but IMO no more so than the apartments right at the top of the resort if you have ever stayed in one of those. If you are looking for night life, you will make the effort to get out of the centre and it will be bigger than Flaine. Val T is very exposed but your newbies shouldn't get too cold during March when the sun starts to get stronger. Beginners areas are plentiful and, like Flaine, it is an intermediate's paradise.

With reference to advice above, Argentiere is closed this winter to be refurbished (about time too by all accounts). Chamonix can be fine for beginners - you can learn anywhere, but when transitioning to the next level, your newbies may be restricted to smaller areas than your will find in Val T or Flaine. I've stayed at La Plagne and again, nightlife is limited - or at least a little disjointed across the viallages with most lively spots being found in Belle Plagne. the centre is dated but compfrtable - again with mostly quads and some twins - en suite.

Re: travel, both can be accessed by the overnight SnowExpress bus (with local connections). Although if you choose to fly or train, Action Outdoors can also help you arrange transfers to either resort from Geneva too.

You might also want to consider Val D'Isere or Tignes. Tignes would have easier slopes back to the village and Action-Outdoors is running a solos week there that week in march so you will have plenty of additional drinking buddies, but Val D'Isere has really stonking nightlife. Neither UCPA centre would be as comfortable as Flaine, but it would be worth thinking about.

If you decide to book - use SP2010 as a discount code (you need to click the discount code link just under the price when the website booking gives you a final price for your trip). wherever you choose, you will have a great week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scampi Dellahanti, Great Adivce THANKYOU Smile

It has to be either Flaine or Val Thorens due to my other half being a student and its like £380 for her Shock

how much discount does that code have?

seems that Flaine has more begginer slopes but Val Thorens is more snowsure...
snowHead snowHead

either way cannot wait just hard to make on which one to go too!

have you been to both?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Val Thorens has recently been refurbished and has the reputation as being a very social centre. This is probably because it is slightly out of town, but IMO no more so than the apartments right at the top of the resort if you have ever stayed in one of those. If you are looking for night life, you will make the effort to get out of the centre and it will be bigger than Flaine. Val T is very exposed but your newbies shouldn't get too cold during March when the sun starts to get stronger. Beginners areas are plentiful and, like Flaine, it is an intermediate's paradise.

I liked Val T UCPA last year and the new development looked good.

Plenty of people ventured out to the bars (although I was too shattered/lazy) - at least being at the bottom of the hill it has the benefit being that it was downhill on the way home. Center is ski in ski out and really well placed I thought.

There are now twin rooms in the new section.

I would choose Val T over Flaine any day, I really didn't think much of Flaine but other people do rate it. There are LOADS of beginner slopes in Val T - taht is not a problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

I liked Val T UCPA last year and the new development looked good.

Plenty of people ventured out to the bars (although I was too shattered/lazy) - at least being at the bottom of the hill it has the benefit being that it was downhill on the way home. Center is ski in ski out and really well placed I thought.

There are now twin rooms in the new section.

I would choose Val T over Flaine any day, I really didn't think much of Flaine but other people do rate it. There are LOADS of beginner slopes in Val T - taht is not a problem.

UCPA qoute less beginner slopes in Val T then in Flaine... ???

is this due to the ski pass being limited?

does the fact its higher make a huge difference?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ladtalk, height might make some difference very early/late in the season but March should be generally OK at either place, really. Val Thorens might be a bit better for beginners if there's warm conditions because I suspect the beginner slope will be higher than Flaine (someone else can confirm that)? Flaine should have access to plenty of higher slopes for intermediates though.

Don't worry about the number of "beginner" (green) slopes too much, Val Thorens has plenty of easy blues to progress to (and how many greens do you actually need?). I went out in January with 6 beginners and they were fine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff,

Thanks for info...

really not sure which one to go too Shock

&&& yeah dont want to be stuck on beginner snowHead

the UCPA claims less beginner slopes in Val T the flaine???

will my pass's limit mee?

thanks in advance guys!
snow report
Pass probably won't limit you - I found plenty in Val T for a week. If I was going again I would get the 3Vs pass I think.

Only problem is no trees in case of gash weather - it's quite exposed. March is more likely to have good weather.

Maybe there are less beginner slopes - there is one big beginner area in the middle of Val Thorens that they will start on. Then they will progress them onto surrounding easy blues. It won't be a problem.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff,

okay soppose its me being over keen!

would you suggest a few practise sesh's in the uk?

i have a dry slope and a indoor slope fairly close by. just seems to be the indoor slope want you to pay £100+ to learn the basics i will learn out their anyway)
snow report
ladtalk, where is the indoor slope that is near to you?
ski holidays
Brentwood?
ski holidays
Chasseur, blahblahblah, Brentwood - ipswich - can go hemel hempstead!

is brentwood indoor?
latest report
Ive only stayed in the flaine one. It was good, nice rooms, close to lifts, can ski to front door (kind of). However flaine was very quiet when I was there not much of a night life
latest report
At Val D soon so will be able to give an up to date of that centre. Went to Argentiere last season and it was cheaptastic and desperately in need of a refurb but when you go to ski with friends it's the company that matters. Things become different if you're taking a significant other though ime.
snow report
Also wanted to say that the everything was good fun despite the tattiness of the centre. The instructors, the staff, the skiing, everyone.
snow conditions
ladtalk wrote:
Chasseur, blahblahblah, Brentwood - ipswich - can go hemel hempstead!

is brentwood indoor?

I don't think so - why did you think it was?
ski holidays
Hemel (a good idea) is about 50 mins away anyway.
snow report
Rishie,

That would be great when you going??? You going via UCPA?
ski holidays
ladtalk, yup, through UCPA (Action Outdoors). Off on the 15th of December for a week.
latest report
ladtalk, the student discount is exceptional this year isn't it. Just remember to take student ID with you as the centre will check it when you check in. The discount code will get you a £10 discount and can be used by everyone in your group.

I've stayed at the Flaine centre and had a really good week there - although is was during one of the solos weeks so there was quite a big group of us. Night life is definitely quieter though.

I've not stayed at the UCPA in Val Thorens but have skied there plenty including a few learning weeks. You will enjoy either for skiing. For Val T I think you can upgrade your pass to a full 3V one for 25€ when you check in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not stayed in the 2 UCPAs mentioned (Flaine or Val T) but have stayed in Chamonix Centre and can thoroughly recommend the UCPA trips to anyone who is reasonably sociable and tolerant of a bit of noise/fun.

If you're picking between Flaine/Val T, pick Val T - if you're up for a good time it hass WAYYYY more options, it's also got a huge (and one of my favourite) ski areas, and the slopes there for beginners are perfectly OK, there's even a couple of really long "travelators" for the true newbies, which I wish I had when I was learning.

If you're out in Val T, make sure to get yourself to Malaysia (under the learners piste) on seasonnaire's night off (weds for most I think) and also on a sunny afternoon, ride the Plein Sud chairlift at about 3.30pm, take a look underneath your feet just before you get off. Oh, and remember to take your wallet up with you that day, you'll want it Wink
ski holidays
" It has to be either Flaine or Val Thorens due to my other half being a student and its like £380 for her"

That's a substantial discount! I was about to say since both of you are under 25, you'd each have €50 discount for most centres when you book at UCPA's website. However, the €100 off for the both of you still can't compare with the student discount she's getting.
snow report
Gutted I didn't know about the student discount last year! I paid full price - doh!

ladtalk, have you decided? If you are like this over one minor holiday destination decision I hate to think how much you faff over a big decision! Shocked

Don't read too much into resort descriptions and just book Val T. Simples.
ski holidays
kat.ryb,

yeah its a deal at the moment £380 is too good to pass up!

well im soo new to this don't want to book Flaine and wish id gone to the other etc etc...

seems to be Val T is everyone's choice Smile

Scampi Dellahanti, Thank you yeah i will look into it, did you stay via UCPA? not bothered about a "mental night" just a few brewski's and good times! snowHead
snow conditions
cppoon, i know makes me wish i bummed around at uni instead of selling house's snowHead
ski holidays
ladtalk, I've been to Flaine and I'm going to Val T for NYE so cant comment on Val T yet. Flaine was ok, lack of snow and nightlife but the centre was cool with a large social area. I wouldn't return to Flaine tbh as I found the runs a bit boring after a few days. Off-piste was good but difficult as there was plenty of hiking which I hate. Our instructor was lame IMO. I would say take a punt on Val T, it looks like you can't go wrong. Also add VK2012 to your booking for further discounts.
snow report
Gainz,

just seen can't do my Birthday @ Val T so i will look into earlier deals just don't wnt to go on the french school holiday Shock

is that the £10 off code?

Cheers mate
latest report
If you assume EUR7/pint for French resorts you won't be far off. Some drinks will be more, some less (offers/pitchers), but that's the ball park.
snow report
ladtalk wrote:

is that the £10 off code?

Yes mate and it's per person, just add it to both bookings.
snow report
ladtalk, writing this sitting at Geneva airport.

Fairly decent location, very close to the (free) bus stop. Approximately 10 ish minute walk to town and the big lifts.

The centre itself. Dorm style rooms sleeping 6 to 8 with bunk beds. 2 toilets and 2 showers per two rooms. Some rooms have balconies and I'm told that there are also some double rooms.

The bar is shite as far as UCPAs go with rather poor beer and not much else. Also very small with limited seating. The eating area is similarly cramped. The food, however, was very good with hot lunches (and the obligatory post-lunch naps) back at the centre. There was no entertainment put on that I noticed.

I had my own kit but people that took kit from UCPA reported good standard kit and no quibble swaps if needed. Instruction was more along the lines of guiding and very much what the group wanted but making sure that everyone spigot something out of it. The instructors pushed everyone and I don't think anyone had a particularly easy time.

Others: transfers to and from Geneva are a ball-ache. The town is full of seasonnaires right now.

If there's more you want to know, drop me a pm.
snow conditions
Rishie, You on about Flaine yeah?

i have got a double room for extra money...

just bought my ski jacket & trousers for £40 all in with a thermal at go outdoors !
ski holidays
ladtalk,
I'm not sure Rishie, Is talking about Flaine.
I went there in march this year, there are only 4 bed and twin rooms. And all rooms have there own toilets. (a luxury for most UCPA.)
I was a complete beginner when I went to flaine, I found there was plenty of blue and green runs to learn on.
Like most have said nightlife is very limited but the few bars and one club are all situated less than 2 mins walk from the centre.

All in all I enjoyed myself a lot. I am currently in Tignes, arrived today so shall inform you on this resort in the coming days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy