Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just How Obsessed by Skiing (or Snowsports) Are You?

Poster: A snowHead
I once read a review of a book someone had written about their total obsession with cricket. Turns out that they realised that they had a problem when they were at a family funeral (a cremation) and their mind made an association with a different sort of ashes....

Not quite sure if I am at that stage in terms of skiing (help needed?) but I think that I have exhibited some worryingly obsessive signs, such as:

- Constant, year-round dabbling on Snowheads and other ski websites - anything to keep in touch with ski-related 'stuff.'
- Summer checking of webcams and snow reports for southern hemisphere resorts - even though I'm not going.
- 600 mile round trips to closed Scottish ski areas to skin up/ski down on minimal (almost non-existent) cover - or hiking up to ski a 50m snow patch in August.
- Checking daily whether this weekend will have enough snow for a ski Scotland run.
- Obsessive checking of European webcams and weather reports from Sept/Oct onwards.
- Piling the house-full of brochures to keep abreast of prices and read about resorts and hotels that I will never visit.
- Constant monitoring of airline websites - they might have an offer that I can't refuse for a bargain ski trip.
- Daily internet research of worldwide resorts, waist deep powder and ski touring destinations.
- Recording and viewing of ski/snow/travel programmes on Sky - they all get a bit samey but what the hell.
- Ditto Eurosport to catch a glimpse of early season glacier conditions in Soelden or to see whether Levi looks worth a visit.
- 400 mile round trips to the glorified shopping experience that is the NEC ski show.
- Salivating at Go-Pro skiing footage in summer in a mountain bike shop.
- August trips to ski summer glaciers that are more like quarries than ski slopes (good fun though).
- Total depression on returning to work after a ski trip.....'This time last week I was skiing knee deep powder...'
- Being stuck in a meeting at work, discussing important topics but thinking it's all completely irrelevant compared to the current snow reports.
- More depression on viewing powder day webcams when stuck at work - almost at the counselling required stage.
- Realising that no matter how many days I get on snow, it can never be enough.
- Counting down the months/weeks/days until the next trip.

I'm sure that there's more - but I'm sure that you've got the picture.....Good job that Mrs MA and I are off to Tignes (and possibly Val Thorens) a week today Very Happy .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, Sounds like perfectly normal rational behaviour to me.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Enough to be in debt !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't see any problem with this behaviour.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 'fortunate' enough that in the summer I'm obsessing about off-road motorcycle rallying that I don't miss it too much. I'll still find myself in the fridge from time to time tho.

The downside of that is that while it takes your mind off, it's yet another expensive hobby!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My obsession oscillates between skiing and mountain biking, although the skiing side is beginning to take over. Needless to say, I have no money.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was obsessed with skiing for years. Not now - I'll ski my last this season. I'd like to say I'm now free of obsession and now sane unfortunately that's not true. Model aircraft (and a niche area within that, control line) has got me Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
Was obsessed with skiing for years. Not now - I'll ski my last this season.

Sad

Not sure how I'll contemplate that, to be honest. As a relative late starter at 38, nearly eleven years ago, one does become aware of wanting to do more than the years may be allow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I a here!

I have an entire bedroom in the house converted to a ski room

I own 14 pairs of skis none older than 3 years!

I own 3 pairs of boots none older than 3 years!

I spend all discretionary income on Skiing

I browse alpine property websites

I think about robbing a bank / Selling Drugs to fund the above

I ski down the stairs of the house in full ski gear and think it is normal
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obsessive enough that I spend every dinner break at work gazing longingly at snow/ski-related websites. It beats trying to make polite conversation with my colleagues... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've covered this before...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Just do what I do, sit in the back garden all summer dressed all in your mountain gear, and alternate between methodically sharpening and reshaprening your edges and howling balefully at the sky until it starts to snow again...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go into the garden...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought I was pretty obsessive about skiing but, reading some of the stuff above, I see I'm only a beginner Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fattes13 wrote:
I ski down the stairs of the house in full ski gear and think it is normal

Video of this please.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:

- Being stuck in a meeting at work, discussing important topics but thinking it's all completely irrelevant compared to the current snow reports.

Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:

- Constant, year-round dabbling on Snowheads and other ski websites - anything to keep in touch with ski-related 'stuff.'
- Summer checking of webcams and snow reports for southern hemisphere resorts - even though I'm not going.
- Obsessive checking of European webcams and weather reports from Sept/Oct onwards.
- Total depression on returning to work after a ski trip.....'This time last week I was skiing knee deep powder...'
- More depression on viewing powder day webcams when stuck at work - almost at the counselling required stage.
- Realising that no matter how many days I get on snow, it can never be enough.
- Counting down the months/weeks/days until the next trip.

Definitely - the ones I've left quoted are the ones I fully admit!! Especially the obsessive webcam and snow report checking.

To add to that:

- spending all year checking ski gear websites looking for new jackets/boots/skis/base layers/socks and all sorts of stuff I don't need and can't afford.
- spending hours in the gym every week (all year) with the aim of getting fit for skiing
- spending hours watching ski videos online, from technique tips to extreme skiing
- obsessively researching and reading up on resorts I'm going to, if I've never been there before - and even if I have!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 23-11-12 1:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Easy for me, my other 'obsession' is boating. We have a couple of ribs, some dinghies etc. When the boats are winterised and put away, I hit the gym and concentrate on updating ski gear for the Missus, myself and our teenage kids. After the last ski holiday of the season. Ski gear is prepped and put away, I then start preparing boats for the new season. Nice really, as the end of one season brings on the beginning of the next. As I enjoy both equally, no end of season blues. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Is it bad that I feel like I'm missing something because I've NOT bought any ski kit recently?
I'm substituting it with motorcycle parts in preparation of the next season...
ski holidays
Wow, mountainaddict and Piccadilly's posts resonate... especially the researching resorts for no immediate purpose!

I'm still in the early stages of ski obsession I think, so not sure how long this enthusiasm will last, but after my first week ever in March this year, I have:
- found snowheads, and generally check it every few hours for anything new.
- read old posts of previous seasons in various resorts to try and get a feel for how things go (snow reports, trip reports)
- followed snow forecasts/reports/cams in Australia and NZ over our summer
- spent over 50 hours in snowdomes and kept a log of my progress
- daydreamed and had actual dreams about skiing and improving my technique and the sensations involved.
- subscribed to fall line
- subscribed to eurosport online
- planned virtual trips to Aus/NZ/Japan ski fields from Melbourne (in case I ever leave London and head back - will southern hemisphere skiing be enough!?)

I've had a snow obsession since I was about 5 (grew up in Hobart, Australia - snowed down to sea level in 1986 and hung about a couple of days) but somehow never went skiing till now... why did I wait so long!
snow conditions
Over the clouds of cab diesel, the commuter train fug of bad breath, B.O. and garlic-for-breakfast and the wafts of the stinking underpass, suddenly you'll catch that sharp smell of snow on a cold wind and you're not on trudging London Bridge anymore, you're picking the line you'd take down some imaginary hill, and hearing the crump and squeak of snow with each step...
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
I'll ski my last this season.

Some typo or similar here Nick??
snow report
32 season Ski Bum Very Happy
ski holidays
I live for skiing and do nothing else 365, (having had to give up two other sports in summer). I spend £2,500 a year on private medical treatments to enable me to ski OP, race and teach occasionally.
snow conditions
Quote:
Over the clouds of cab diesel, the commuter train fug of bad breath, B.O. and garlic-for-breakfast and the wafts of the stinking underpass, suddenly you'll catch that sharp smell of snow on a cold wind and you're not on trudging London Bridge anymore, you're picking the line you'd take down some imaginary hill, and hearing the crump and squeak of snow with each step...

Absolutely fantastic! Except for one thing: Close your eyes....Smell that diesel......Aaaahhhhh! You are about to follow the piste basher down that immaculately groomed corduroy snowHead. Yes, a strong diesel smell smells like skiing every time for me!
snow conditions
Got two trips booked so far this year, hoping to nip to Scotland for a weekend or two. So what are me and OH starting to do?
Plan for 2014.
Does that count as obsessed?
snow conditions
Went to school, started going on ski trips, got depressed arriving home from Austria at the age of 13
Nagged the parents to send me on every trip until the end of school
Deferred university for a year to work in a grotty hotel in Livigno and ride every day
Spent 3 years at university half convinced it was out of my system, making do with a single trip each year by eating nothing but beans to save for it
Got dumped by girlfriend due to bad flatulence and the fact I wanted just one more season to really get it out of my system
Spend 6 epic months in Whistler working as a liftie in one of the best snow years on record
Return to university to improve chances of a 'proper job'
Have the odd moment with friends from Canada actually shedding a tear about not still being there
Get a 'proper job'
Work for 3 years spending every day checking any number of snow related sites, regularly finding I risk not completing 'real work' due to planning of next shred trip and saving for that house deposit
After the minimum mandatory period before a sabbatical can be granted I find myself talked into a 6 month trip to Argentina to spend of the deposit visiting some incredible mountains
Return to the UK in the middle of the coldest, snowiest December for years (every cloud...)
Finally realise that it isn't just a passing interest, quelled by a trip to Europe once a year
Now in the midst of a year long search for the right place in Austria to finally set up the Chalet of our dreams, willing to give up 2 secure jobs, inevitably get into debt, work long, hard hours, risk pretty much everything all for the ability to probably head up the hill less in the first season than we do in an average week holiday, but we get to be there in that environment 24/7 and take the odd moment to appreciate it all for just how bloody fantastic the mountains are.

Blimey, it only took 18 years to work out!
latest report
achilles wrote:
Was obsessed with skiing for years. Not now - I'll ski my last this season. I'd like to say I'm now free of obsession and now sane unfortunately that's not true. Model aircraft (and a niche area within that, control line) has got me Embarassed

achilles, Hanging on the wall in my mums garage there are still a couple of control line combat aircraft, including at least one Oliver Tiger diesel engine, that were last flown by a teenage Wags about 35 years ago. Great memories, does anybody still fly combat?
ski holidays
Gnarbeque: You, and plenty of others on here, are making me realise that it's not just me after all! ('My name's MA and I'm an obsessive skier' wink!) Good luck with your plans by the way - and don't forget discounts for snowHead!
Quote:
Regularly finding I risk not completing 'real work' due to planning of next shred trip
Very Happy Ditto!! Oops! I forgot to include that one!
snow report
This thread has made me laugh more than is probably healthy - I recognise some very familiar symptoms! Fear not, the season is nearly here Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My obsession was at its worst around 2002/3, when I managed to sqeeze in 11 ski trips to Europe within one calendar year, only missing out on September. At the time I was doing a lot of trips to Munich with my work and added on a minimum of one day on the slopes for every trip, summer month trips were spent up at Tux.
snow report
I'm obsessed by webcams and weather forecasts at the moment! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
achilles, do hope you change your mind
But anyway, welcome (back??) to the dark art of small
flying objects!
And Wags, yes they do! but not me - can't stand
the smell of ether, or the way it finds all the little cuts
in my fingers and stings like crazy
snow report
achilles wrote:
.... I'd like to say I'm now free of obsession and now sane unfortunately that's not true. Model aircraft (and a niche area within that, control line) has got me Embarassed
Achilles: If you want to feed your obsession - try some slope soaring (my current non-snow obsession Razz )

Wags wrote:
[.... Great memories, does anybody still fly combat?
Plenty of slope combat - mad sesh here Little Angel
http://youtube.com/v/cVl3wR5muH0
snow report
I have the nagging thought of snowboarding 24/7, even in summer, but it's when it comes to about the start of October that the fever builds - I end up looking at webcams for places I'm never going to go and thumb through Whitelines and the ski brochure endlessly without actually knowing what I'm actually looking for or reading. Plus I spend every few minutes browsing SHs and SCUK, checking and rechecking aimlessly. My missus has gone into 'i don't care' mode and has pretty much washed her hands of conversation between us because I always end up talking about snowboarding.
snow report
Gnarbeque,

Welcome to SnowHeads anonymous snowHead
snow report
Insert most of the above... although with a plank.

Plus, briefly suggesting, to my girlfriend, getting married at the end of November just so we can have a honeymoon in Canada for 3 weeks at the start of the ski season. Whale watching might have been suggested as a brief aside (sweetener).

Hello snowheads btw. Long time lurker.
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:

I have an entire bedroom in the house converted to a ski room

I have a small spare room that is currently between purposes... I was intending to buy a sofa bed for use by extra guests or their offspring, but now I can see a perfect solution. One could argue that as it has ski boots, helmets and luggage stored in the cupboard, it is already a ski room. The carpet is shot anyway...what is the ideal flooring for a ski room?

The kids can sleep on the floor.
ski holidays
I suppose I'm pretty hooked, ski twice a week, on SH in the meantime.

I'd rather be playing with my Land Rover or diving in crystal clear tropical waters though.
latest report
Hacel,

Junior was conceived in Canada just before we got married, so BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!!
snow report
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. Finally I feel that I may be normal.
snow conditions
All of the above. Very Happy

55 days per year on-snow. Would prefer, say, 300. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy