Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In terms of snow, a historic night for Cairngorm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No, it didn't snow overnight (I think there was a rare drop of rain) ...

... but Cairngorm took delivery of the largest commitment to snowguns in the half-century since the first chairlift was built in 1961, when the mountain's magnetism to skiers triggered the development of Aviemore as a resort.

Last winter the mountain tested a computerised Techno Alpin gun (as did Glencoe), to see how it would cope with the challenging climate of the Highlands. Last night further guns (four, as I understand) arrived. They are on a two-year lease, with an option to buy.

Scotland has had mixed experiences with snowmaking. It's been extensively trialled at Glenshee and The Lecht over the years. Way back in 1963 (ten years before snowguns were seen on any scale in the Alps) two Swiss brothers tried to develop a new ski area at Mar Lodge (near Braemar). They installed "Europe's largest artificial snow making plant". See this fantastic historic advert and story on Highland Instinct ...

The advert: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/graphics/skiresorts/ml3.jpg
The story: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/history/marlodge/index.php

Climate change has been less threatening to Scottish skiing recently than it was in the 1980s and 1990s. There's a sign that the upward creep of the snow-line has halted.

This is the most sophisticated trial of snowmaking in Scotland to date. So ... will it work, and will it prove economically viable?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where's the water coming from? OK, I know Scotland is marginally wetter than the bottom of the Mariana Trench, but have they created a small reservoir up there? Also, what's it's 0-60?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I understand it, the water will be swilled from the burns up the hill. I don't think Cairngorm have said anything more specific, but these are the provisional locations for the guns - as specified in a recent Cairngorm press release:

Quote:
... these mobile guns will be able to be used in a number of different locations around the mountain; in two or three places around the Ptarmigan tow and in the vicinity of the top station; and in 7 different locations around the Zig-Zags and Gun Barrel area of Coire Cas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a great step forward and hopefully they will prove a good investment. Didn't they recently estimate that 10 guns and infrastructure for £1 million would allow them to cover from the plateau to the day lodge?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nevis Range also have a T40 on trial this year I wonder where on the hill they have plans to test it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This was a delivery of three making it four altogether, saw the single one working last year and it was impressive. They are fully automatic so don't need someone watching them, more information here http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/news/story/20121115snowcairgorms2012.cfm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy