Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things that make you look like a punter....

Poster: A snowHead
Just for laughs Very Happy

1. carrying skis across your arms, using sling etc etc.

2. walking around with your rear entry boots totally undone.

3. walk mode on your boots

4. walking around the town with 4 clips totally done up

5. skiing with the Crystal/Thompson etc ski rep

6. daft fleece hats

7. drinking beer with fondue
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No 5 might be a bit naff but I've had lots of fun doing it. Before the ESF clamped down heavily on ski leading.

New ones - Jeans
Day Glo One-Piece Suits
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Falling over in the lift queue.

Falling over on the draglift.

Sitting outside the restaurant to eat in blazing sunshine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG not sure about that last one, I've seen plenty of locals doing just that on really good days, however they will always be inside on anything other than really good days or if the sun has not reached the terrace/sitting area yet Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But I AM a punter Exclamation
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, thought that one might surprise (was thinking of France mainly). Just try and spot an instructor! They're nearly all inside, if there's room. And a lot of the locals too. Why sit outside and fry when you can do that most of the year in France?

Was discussing this with an ESF guy just the other day.... over a meal in the 'Chalets de l'Arc' above Arc 2000. All the tourists were outside, all the instructors were inside....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, Ah, but do you really want to look like one?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take exception to no. 4. I've always walked much better in my boots with the buckles closed than with some of them open (ok I loosen them compared to skiing but they're still closed). There's less friction inside the boot and hence no blisters this way. If it makes me look like a punter/gaper so be it. Actually, I think my walk looks rather Frankensteinian.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cedric, Very Happy
Actually a lot of the club kids spend so much time in their boots that they rarely loosen them. They claim that they barely know they have them on, and grumble if you tell them to undo the clips! So I reckon you're ok with that one Cedric!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree - can never be bothered to undo them either. Wastes valuable skiing time farting around with them all the time!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, It's not the frying from the sun that makes outside a poor choice when eating, it's what the cold does to your chips.
It is exhilerating to eat outside for us Brits (no novelty for europeans), but in cold weather eat salad and drink beer or water. Chips, spag-bog, red wine, coffee rapidly chill and become quite unpleasant.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An interesting thread. The word 'punter' is very familiar to me. When I was 'one of the elite' (an instructor) on Cairngorm in the mid-70s we used the word all the time, for anyone who didn't make the grade, in our eyes.

OK, the term has a bit of tongue-in-cheek about it, but - like the word 'gaper' used in the States - it's a kind of snob thing.

It's the 'punters' who spend the money and keep the sport alive, so I wonder who has the last laugh? I now think the 'punter' (everyday skier) should be celebrated, and gently guided into a full appreciation of this amazing activity.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, very true! Though the sun beating down is something to avoid, especially in the southern French Alps. When living in Provence, the easiest way to describe a 'punter' during the summer months would be 'anyone walking around outside between 11am and 4 pm'!! Locals either hide, or dash around from shade to shade (the only time you see a Provençal moving quickly Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whether you look like a punter or not is not the issue, but whatever you do you must look sharp.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very wise, David G. .... [Thinks about it].... No, still don't want to look like one though!
latest report
ise, like Marc says: I am a punter. And what's wrong with daft fleece hats. ?
I have a daft fleece hat; the one with long multi-cloured dreadlocks. It is very useful when leading a group of kids. They can spot me a mile off.
What am I going to do now I wear a helmet?
latest report
Jonpim,

Is this you?

http://www.breckenridgehatcompany.com/item106568.ctlg
ski holidays
People wearing daft fleece hats will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
ski holidays
No, dayglo one piece will be there waiting.
latest report
Cedric wrote:
I take exception to no. 4. I've always walked much better in my boots with the buckles closed than with some of them open (ok I loosen them compared to skiing but they're still closed). There's less friction inside the boot and hence no blisters this way. If it makes me look like a punter/gaper so be it. Actually, I think my walk looks rather Frankensteinian.

It's my opinion, for the little it's worth, that if you walk around with all the clips on a 4 clip boot clamped down then they don't actually fit Very Happy

Or they're 'punter' boots and the 100% rigid boots the true skier would wear Very Happy

I do mean this toungue in cheek. .....
snow report

Tape antlers on top ?? snowHead
snow report
haha Robbie!
Well I'm a punter, but a happy one. I have a silly hat and I hope to ski with the rep next week as I won't know anyone out there. Finally as this is my first proper trip skiing in Europe I'm really looking forward to eating outside in the sun! NehNeh
ski holidays
ise: then my boots never fitted.

Which is possible. Just as possible as having become used to this as a kid, so it feels normal now. See PG's answer.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Jonpim,

Is this you?

http://www.breckenridgehatcompany.com/item106568.ctlg

That's exactly the sort of thing I mean. It's all a bit 18-30 and naff ...
latest report
Alexandra,
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to eating outside in the sun!

Congealed food and sunburn. Rather you than me! Wink What sun, by the way? Rain to 3000m forecast all next week!

[only kidding]
snow report
I have been known to "punt" along the flats like they do along the Camb, wot wot Laughing ,

Like Cedric, I rarely undo my boots until I am in a place to take them off. They fit me very well, and are pretty comfortable once I'm in them.
snow report
I have walk mode on my boots. But I didn't put it there, they came with it on. Do you think anyone will notice and laugh? Sad
ski holidays
Alexandra,
Quote:
I have a silly hat

Is this you?

Where did you say you were heading? Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anything that says "White Stuff" or "Fatface" on it marks you out. Cool
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Sitting outside the restaurant to eat in blazing sunshine.

Stopping to eat at lunchtime.
ski holidays
PG I see they've sold out of that hat, so someone's buying them.
latest report
PG - bit out of season isn't it? I've got a giant easter egg with a bow!
snow report
PG wrote:
Alexandra,
Quote:
I have a silly hat

Is this you?

Where did you say you were heading? Wink

Excellent web site, that's had me and Mrs Ise laughing. I really the "Wild & Crazy" ones, "Sad & Desperate" more like Toofy Grin
snow report
Lordy lordy, I see what you mean!

http://web.ivenue.com/breckenridgehatcompany/images/thumbs/hat_wski51_tm110.jpg

Do these things sell?
snow conditions
sherman-maeir,
Quote:
Stopping to eat at lunchtime
Who said anything about lunchtime! You're right, that should be added to the list. Lunch is anytime before 12, or on the dot of, and eaten quickly. It's often the best time to ski.
ski holidays
Jonpim,
Quote:

It's no problem...they have already thought of that!!!

See

http://www15.ivenue.com/breckenridgehatcompany/productCat41953.ctlg

Laughing
snow conditions
99% of snowHeads are punters, i.e. people who don't live in ski resorts. Confused
ski holidays
Hey guys - so helpful!
The Natty Dread hat is just like mine, but better, coz I dont have the under-chin tie, and if I go fast the hat falls off (good for going with little kids though: keeps me back at their pace). I like it (sorry Ise).
I want the telephone number of the lady in the Kiss Me hat . I'm sure we would make a great couple.
And sarah, just what I always wanted! But which one?
latest report
xyzpaul wrote:
99% of snowHeads are punters, i.e. people who don't live in ski resorts. Confused

No, being a punter is some of the stuff we're joking about. You should take a look at some of destination lists in the "Where do we all ski" thread, it's amazing how much and how many places people are getting to, these people are not punters (unless they're wearing daft hats obviously)
snow report
I like being a punter- I like my pre organised pub crawl/skidoo/shopping trips when im on holiday, I like my ski guiding, I like sitting on chair lifts and laughing at the stupid hats, I like welcome meetings!

I even love the coach transfer! there I said it! Im Sinead im 21 and I love Package holidays!!

(fear I may have been brain washed by my employers)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy