Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the ideal length of time to spend in lessons per day?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm starting to look at schischule options in Scheffau this year, and after going to La Plagne last year where the group lessons were for almost 6 hours each day, was surprised to see that the adult lessons in Scheffau are only 2hrs per day in the mornings. My first reaction was that this wouldn't be enough, but after further thought I'm now thinking that a shorter lesson followed by your own practice would help to focus and consolidate.

To be honest I really didn't rate the lessons I got last year; I spent the entire time in the dreaded snake formation, and I didn't actually receive any real tuition. I'm happy to shorten the lesson on the basis that the quality will (hopefully) be better, but is 2hrs really enough?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess in a small class (say 4 or 5) then you may get more personal tuition than in the traditional 12 - 15 group "follow-me"conga and as such a 2hr lesson may be enough for the day. This assumes that you will use at least some of the remaining day to practice what you have learnt.

Whenever I've had tuition its been around 2.5 - 3 hrs in the morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wickyb, as halfhand says, less is more if you have smaller group or private lesson. IME 6-8 people is plenty even with a good instructor. Two hours is enough and you can do your own thing and practice later.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All day everyday with people better than you and terrain that challenges more and more.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In my opinion 2 hours per day, private one-to-one lessons is the optimum . . . but more expensive than groups
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't imagine doing 6 hour lessons! In Les Arcs this year we had 2.5 hour lessons each day, the length was enough for us. We probably wouldnt do this next year though as we found some days we just wanted to do our own thing. I agere with the less is more comment, we're planning on taking a few private lessons this year.

btw our groups were no more than 6-8 people french and english, this was with ESF. On the first day though there was an army of arround 25-30 people but they then split you down into smaller groups depending on level.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 hours is short. In St Anton and Saalbach, it was roughly 2-2.5 hours in the morning, one hour lunch, two hours in the afternoon. Left time for an hour or so's skiing afterwards, and the keen ones could get in 30-45mins or so in the morning too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We only did the full day once in La Plagne, I agree 6 hrs was far too long. I'm leaning towards private tuition as I really want to improve my technique!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go on vacation for 2 weeks, Sat to Sun.

Hire a private 1-2-1 instructor for 3hrs a day for 10 of the 15 days.

10 x 3 is the ideal ratio for a vacationer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would do a couple of hours private tuition with a really good instructor and then ski my dangly bits off for the rest of the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy