Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight with ABS Vario... e-mail airlines

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I know I have a separate post in this forum about this subject on a more broad scale, but after following all of your much-appreciate advice I think I have managed by decisions correctly. For North American trip next year I believe I have to discharged canisters and have them refilled from ABS retailer in the States, which I have located and spoke with.

However, my first trip is coming up next week. Tomorrow I am planning on purchasing an ABS Vario and next week will be flying with British Airways (Newcastle to Heathrow, Heathrow to Geneva) and returning with Easy Jet (Geneva to Newcastle). I was just hoping that someone experienced in this matter would be good enough to tell me, in the most simple and straightforward way possible, what I have to e-mail to the airlines and where I have to send it. I really don't want to make one single mistake here.

Thanks in advance guys.

PS: On a separate note, does anyone that has this bag ski with an SLR and water system? I am trying to decide between the 15L and 25L.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I fly with BA I either tell them on the phone when I make the booking, or if I book online I'll call their customer service dept afterwards and ask them to put a note on my booking. Not had any issues with BA, has always been straightforward.

Sorry, no experience of easyjet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've ridden with bigger Avalanche bags. I can't remember the name, but it was a couple of years ago and they were huge.

I had no problems using them with a chest-mounted SLR bag. I never rig my SLR on my backpack anyway, so you can take off the airbag (eg if you have to sit somewhere they're not legal) and leave the SLR mounted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I see, a call can suffice. I had been told that I had to send an e-mail with IATA regulations and such attached. So, I just have to tell them that I am travelling with an ABS Vario bag, that has canisters, but they will be unattached for flight?

philwig, I have to carry my camera, an extra lens, a first aid kit, water system and a couple of spare layers - doable?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unlikely in 15L, get a bigger one, unless you carry camera separately. You will also need to fit probe and shovel there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shenryo wrote:
rob@rar, I see, a call can suffice. I had been told that I had to send an e-mail with IATA regulations and such attached. So, I just have to tell them that I am travelling with an ABS Vario bag, that has canisters, but they will be unattached for flight?
Most of the time when I've spoken to them the Rep was aware of what I was saying and I didn't need to quote IATA regulations. On one occasion the Rep put me on hold to check what I was talking about, but promptly came back and said no problem she'd add a note to my booking record.

Don't forget that the airline is not the only interested party. Airport security can also get involved, even if your airline has said there is no problem with carrying your airbag. I've heard a couple of stories about Chambery airport, and have had lots of questions asked when flying through Japanese airports.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shenryo, as rob@rar, says then either phone or email with BA, say you are travelling with an "avalanche rescue backpack" in your notes above you say canisters? You can only travel with one, I would not advise travelling with more than one, Easy Jet have been pretty good in the past with avalanche rescue backpacks try and get an email copy off them saying its OK.

On the size of the bag, then with an SLR in an ABS bag then would go for the 25L the 15 is pretty tight once you get the shovel probe and water in there.

IATA regs download is pretty easy if your struggling I can email you a copy or you can download from my site
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
never summer, don't the shovel and probe connect to the bag externally?
livetoski, cheers for the heads up, I would love you to provide me a link lol (are they most recent regs?)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shenryo, The regs download is at the bottom of my page on this link, they are the latest 2012 ones, the however is only that there will be a new one on the 1st January 2013 this fingers crossed will be the update we are waiting for that removes the 250ml cylinder clause. As soon as I see the new one I will update my site with it.

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Air-Bags/Flying-with-avalanche-airbag
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, thanks for that buddy. I bought the ABS Vario with a 25L bag addition. Am I right in thinking that I should pack a copy of that with bag and canister, as well as carrying a copy with me? Do I need to separate things when packing?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shenryo, Yes on the print off two copies of the IATA regs, put one with the cylinder in your hold luggage, and keep on with you with your flight documents. Don't fly with the cylinder connected and make sure the caps are on the cylinder. Its OK to keep the cylinder inside the airbag.

Must have missed your order via my site Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shenryo, you want that stuff in your bag. What use is it if you are caught in a slide with a few people, and your shovel and probe get ripped from the outside of your bag. Then what?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, Snowshepherd your site buddy? I was told to get from there actually, but I am afraid I had £436 worth of Snow + Rock vouchers which I put toward. My wife is in the market for new skis this January though and I am after the GoPro HD 3 when released if you do those products. I've favourited your site for future purchases!

Timmaah, sorry, I don't understand what you mean. When I said separate things when packing I mean only for the flight. By bag has inside compartments for shovel and probe.

livetoski, I don't suppose you can recommend how to install a bladder/water system into bag? I have a spare bladder and I love skiing with a water system. Not sure if this is do-able?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo, aaaah ok.. My bad!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy