Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm new here as you can no doubt tell. Looking into going to Meribel this Jan with 6 other lads, was wondering what the general opinion is?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good ski area, French, spread out village, French, expensive and erm, its French.

I dont like the french.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So we're looking to go somewhere obviously with good skiing and decent apres. open to any suggestions! Don't want to do Val d'Isere/Tignes or St Anton because done that in the last two years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
homers double wrote:
Good ski area, French, spread out village, French, expensive and erm, its French.

I dont like the french.

You'll need to search to find anyone French in Meribel. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Meribel is probably the least French resort in France though... Most bars are run by Brits and the staff is British...

Meribel is great fun, I'm sure you and your mates will be trying the new Folie Douce for aprés... There is also the Ronnie for live bands and lots of good bars in town like Evolution, Tavern, 50-50. You should go for a pizza in Le Refuge - it is awesome!

Skiing is good, especially the top of Meribel. It is a great base for exploring the 3 valleys! Mottaret is a great, cheap place for lunch...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La folie douce opens in Meribel this season, there is already one in Val Thorens which is also the same ski area.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great ski area. Decent bars. There are a few lunch stops that won't break the bank but you'll have to search (La Tania...). Don't worry about the French... cos it's full of Brits and Russians.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meribel fits your wish list well. You'll find there are a lot of British people in Meribel, which you might either like or dislike.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tange, We stayed up the road in Mottaret and it was a very convenient place to explore the whole 3V.
You will have more apres and nightlife in main Meribel, but maybe not so good access to slopes (as I believe not all there is ski in/ski out).
I quite liked the vibes in Val Thorens. I think I will rather stay there next time. But you should be fine in Meribel.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 20-11-12 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think its a perfect lads holiday ski resort, and really every body is English, enjoy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tange, if you would enjoy an access point into the largest ski region in the World, then you will find that Meribel is in the heart of that region. The Meribel/Mottaret valley has good enough skiing and there is plenty more (and some of different types) in the other two (actually other three) valleys.

If you enjoy Apres-Ski then Meribel is one of the best places in the French Alps for it (mainly for the younger crowd). The Apres is about on par with Val d'Isere but not as good as St Anton.

If you enjoy good food then there are plenty of good restaurants (but pretty expensive). If you are looking for cheap drinks and food, you will struggle a bit, but there are a few places which are reasonable.

Meribel is a big town. Some accommodation is in walking distance to the pistes but others can be a fair walk or bus journey. Some tour operators even describe Brides-Les-Bain, Le Raffort and Les Allues as 'Meribel' (because they are in the same valley) but they are completely different towns (although there is a lift link)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For everything you've described, Meribel is a good choice, especially in January when its quieter.
You'll have a great time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Meribel got a fair bit of flack in the what ski resort you WOULDN'T go back to thread
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patricksh wrote:
Meribel got a fair bit of flack in the what ski resort you WOULDN'T go back to thread

But, he is looking a lads skiing, drinking having a laugh trying to get his leg over holiday.

It perfect for that, just not perfect for old farts wanting a quiet ski holiday, the fact it's like being in England is just a bonus.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One word for Meribel, B U S Y (and not worth it), go to Val Thorens.
snow conditions
I will be skiing the 3V during the second week in January, as I do every season. My experience is that nowhere in the 3V will be what I would consider busy, anytime in January.

Every resort has its pluses and minuses and everyone has different 'rating' criteria. For example, I like Val Thorens for its quick access to the pistes and good snow, but dislike it for its ugly buildings, treeless scenery and being the place in the 3V where I am most likely to be wiped out by an out-of-control skier/boarder!

I prefer Meribel over all the other resorts in the 3V.
snow report
Meribel is pretty ideal for a group of lads, the skiing in the 3V is cracking and the night life in Meribel is great, add in the new Folie Douce and you're laughing. In the 3V for the whole of January and can't wait to see what the new Folie is like. No doubt it will be exactly the same as Val D and Val T but they're both brilliant with my sister stating "Folie Douce is easily top 5 places in the world". You'll have a great time, do it.
ski holidays
If you don't mind the large number of "too cool for school" seasonnaires that dominate the Ronnie, then you'll have a great time. Meribel has 2 decent snow parks, last year the DC park was well maintained and had some decent kickers/rails if that's what you're into. It's not too bad for off-piste either, though I prefer Courchevel/VT in that respect, but its quick and easy to get to both from Meribel.

I would stay in Meribel Centre or Meribel Village, Mottaret is a nightmare, complete bottleneck with terrible snow for the majority of the time. But in terms of nightlife, Meribel pretty much has it all as far as a Ski Resort goes.
ski holidays
If you are W/M/MC/PSB/Prof. then you should be OK although I doubt you are otherwise you would not be asking. Even so, I am and I dislike the place - the amount of braying going on keeps making me think I've strayed into a donkey sanctuary by mistake. Rule of thumb - if you don't think you may bump into someone you know, don't go.
latest report
Chris198 wrote:

I would stay in Meribel Centre or Meribel Village, Mottaret is a nightmare, complete bottleneck with terrible snow for the majority of the time. .

Really , terrible snow?

Always been good for me, except when every where is bad, also easy lift to huge area, will not have the night life he would want.
ski holidays
I'm off to Meribel Mottaret on 19 Jan, 6th time to 3V I believe, love it. So many epic runs across a brilliantly linked massive ski area.
snow conditions
blahblahblah, I was a Ski Guide in Courchevel last year, so skied the Three Valleys extensively, Mottaret was always the worst snow. Aigle, Martre & Sitelle, were usually pretty horrible runs getting towards Mottaret.
ski holidays
Tange wrote:
Hello!

I'm new here as you can no doubt tell. Looking into going to Meribel this Jan with 6 other lads, was wondering what the general opinion is?

Thanks

It sucks.

Full of losers.

Courchevel and ValTho much better.
snow report
Been there twice on a 'Lads' trip (hate the term) and had a great time. Stayed up in Mottaret (at the very top) and still managed 3 nights out in Meribel using the busses and taxi back (30 euro I seem to recall split between 4 it isn't bad.) Ski area is massive and so easy to get around.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies. Which part of Meribel is the main part? Are meribel les allues and les allues two different places?

Thanks again
ski holidays
Tange, have a look at the maps on here to get a better idea http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/MAP/map.htm

Meribel Les Allues is the official postal address of Meribel but Meribel, Meribel Villages, Meribel-Mottaret and Les allues are different places a few kms apart. For a lads holiday you want to be in Meribel.
ski holidays
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
.. There is also the Ronnie for live bands and lots of good bars in town like Evolution, Tavern, 50-50. You should go for a pizza in Le Refuge - it is awesome!

Cactus, Le Pub, Bar-o-meter and don't forget T's Dick Bar. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy