Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NEED ADVICE. New to the sport but so very keen!

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my partner are both 20 & loving the idea of going to Bulgaria to ski.

i have limited skills and she has never attempted to ski.

we will both visit our local dry ski slope to practise/learn, i am looking at march 9th for a week in the Lucky Hotel Bansko (if any has been please direct message me with feedback)

their are so many questions a novice like me needs/dares to ask but here it goes. (try not to laugh!)

1. ski school... the holiday i am looking at offers first time ski for £139 Per person including day lifts equipment hire & 6 days tuition

what exactly does this cover as i will have had 8+ hours on a dry slope is this needed?

2. the time of year, i have visions of me getting of bus to see a half nude bulgarian man topping up his tan & no snow.
Extreme i admit but concerned that the resort is 3,000 ft and not sure that is high enough (again i have no idea just spoken to travel agents)

3. The clothing etc.
the skies, boots and helmet are included is their any tips for us to take apart from shed loads of socks!

4. If anyone has been to that area what is the night life like and how much is a brewski!

Any other tips please let me know!

cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Your "learn to ski" package will be a lift pass, equipment hire and 6 x 2-2.5 hour morning lessons. Pretty standard stuff really.

2. It is late but bear in mind that Scotishland had a massive dump late season this year, try having a look on historical snow records.

3. Buy stuff from TK Max, fairly cheap and not massivly technical as you wont be exposed to extreme cold at that time of year (but see item 2).

4. We went to Borovets a few years back, worked out around 2 quid a pint from memory.

You might find Borovets a bit better than Bansko, there is a bit more skiing there. Hotel Lion was pretty good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ladtalk, Welcome to snowHead 's

1) Will you need any tuition after a whole 8 hours on a dry slope? I'd say that's a yes.

2) who knows? March 9th is pretty late season but it could be great. You won't know until a lot nearer the time. 1000m is pretty low for late season trips though.

3) Clothing, well a warm jacket, a fleece, some gloves and salopeetes might be helpful. it can get a bit nippy in the mountains.

4) No idea but likely to be cheaper than anywhere in France Laughing

Have you considered AUSTRIA? Higher and more snow sure for late season, or even come on the snowHead 's EOSB Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
homers double wrote:
1. Your "learn to ski" package will be a lift pass, equipment hire and 6 x 2-2.5 hour morning lessons. Pretty standard stuff really.

2. It is late but bear in mind that Scotishland had a massive dump late season this year, try having a look on historical snow records.

3. Buy stuff from TK Max, fairly cheap and not massivly technical as you wont be exposed to extreme cold at that time of year (but see item 2).

4. We went to Borovets a few years back, worked out around 2 quid a pint from memory.

You might find Borovets a bit better than Bansko, there is a bit more skiing there. Hotel Lion was pretty good.

Thank you!

yeah hotel lion was my second choice and due to being higher should be more certain of goooooood snow!

i will try and do some research on the snow records.

and yeah £2 sounds pretty good!

what are the slopes like?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Axsman wrote:
ladtalk, Welcome to snowHead 's

1) Will you need any tuition after a whole 8 hours on a dry slope? I'd say that's a yes.

2) who knows? March 9th is pretty late season but it could be great. You won't know until a lot nearer the time. 1000m is pretty low for late season trips though.

3) Clothing, well a warm jacket, a fleece, some gloves and salopeetes might be helpful. it can get a bit nippy in the mountains.

4) No idea but likely to be cheaper than anywhere in France Laughing

Have you considered AUSTRIA? Higher and more snow sure for late season, or even come on the snowHead 's EOSB Madeye-Smiley

its really down to money being 20 and my other half being @ uni means we looking to go up to £1200 so can go somewhere hot in summer.

the reason for question one is due to a collague who claims that his tuition was a guy standing at the bottom of the slope waving as he fell down the slope! (he can be a little OTT hence i ask the experts (you guys!)

where would you suggest in Austria ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Usually/often it's just mornings in ski school with the afternoon to practice. They'll asses your ski level the firstmorning and put you in an appropriate group.
2. Bansko is a long way south so conditions can be pot luck. I went first week in April and it was OK but lots of lower runs were shut/grass.There's a 30min cable car ride up the mountain to the ski area, thats a lot higher than the town... but yes they were sun bathing in the town.
3. Buy some good quality ski socks. Think there's a clothing guide on the here some where so have a look at that.
4. Nightlife is... run, like the rest of the place, by the Bulgarian mafia.

Would I go back?... NO!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ladtalk, There are anumber of smaller cheaper resorts in the Ski Amade region, places like Maria Alm for instance which will be cheaper than the big names Like Ischgl and StAnton. Some of them are not too high but as you are skiing on meadows they don't need the snow depths that the high but rocky French resorts require.

Re tuition ask yourself this: do you want to get the most from your skiing and improve every day, or do you want to throw yourself down a slope hoping for the best?

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions but seriously take a look at this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90364

should be well within budget and I guarantee you'll enjoy it (as long as you like beer). Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adithorp wrote:
1. Usually/often it's just mornings in ski school with the afternoon to practice. They'll asses your ski level the firstmorning and put you in an appropriate group.
2. Bansko is a long way south so conditions can be pot luck. I went first week in April and it was OK but lots of lower runs were shut/grass.There's a 30min cable car ride up the mountain to the ski area, thats a lot higher than the town... but yes they were sun bathing in the town.
3. Buy some good quality ski socks. Think there's a clothing guide on the here some where so have a look at that.
4. Nightlife is... run, like the rest of the place, by the Bulgarian mafia.

Would I go back?... NO!

Ahhhh Puzzled Puzzled

would you suggest pamporovo being as it 5,280ft?

i concerned that most easy runs will be lower hence im stuck being a newbie!

is their any where ud suggest just want a lively place with half decent snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Bansko website suggests the resort closes mid-April, so early to mid-March doesn't seem that late. As has been suggested, some internet research may provide some historic data. Iglu Ski http://www.igluski.com/ used to have some limited info to maybe get you going.

Many do suggest Bulgaria as a good starting point for learning to ski/first ski holiday, mainly from the perspective of not having to invest perhaps quite so much in doing something that can begin to cost you a fair wedge once you're hooked. I'm certainly no expert on Bulgarian skiing (never having been there), but from the odd related topic here, one gets the impression that conditions can be varied.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sauze D'oulx in Italy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ladtalk wrote:

is their any where ud suggest just want a lively place with half decent snow.

Mayrhofen Toofy Grin Laughing

Plenty lively (no-one does apres like the Austrians) and a specific area for newbs (Ahorn).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur wrote:
The Bansko website suggests the resort closes mid-April, so early to mid-March doesn't seem that late. As has been suggested, some internet research may provide some historic data. Iglu Ski http://www.igluski.com/ used to have some limited info to maybe get you going.

Many do suggest Bulgaria as a good starting point for learning to ski/first ski holiday, mainly from the perspective of not having to invest perhaps quite so much in doing something that can begin to cost you a fair wedge once you're hooked. I'm certainly no expert on Bulgarian skiing (never having been there), but from the odd related topic here, one gets the impression that conditions can be varied.

Thank you!

this is my main concern due to work commitments march is the ideal time as well as being cheap.

BUT for an extra couple of hundred would love to know some people's idea's.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ladtalk wrote:
..loving the idea of going to Bulgaria to ski.

WHAT?!!! Shock

Do ya'self a massive favour and start a love affair with a central European resort. rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always ski in lessons until parallel, or you may never truly will be.

Avoid boot fitters (unless you have funny feet) at all costs.

Buy good!! stuff secondhand for early years.

Avoid ex comecon countries (see Bulgaria etc), try Andorra, or small Austrian for budget.

Book at the last minute for best prices and to ensure there is snow where you are going.

Never try to ski moguls the day after it has snowed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

WHAT?!!! Shock

Do ya'self a massive favour and start a love affair with a central European resort. rolling eyes

But why is this???

and where would you suggest?

&&& where did you go?
ski holidays
If anyone knows a good website to check historical snow records please let me know.

(all this info is brilliant ! thank you guys!) snowHead
snow report
Bulgaria is cheap for a reason, there isn't a lot of skiing, the infrastructure is fairly substandard and the locals are grumpy (and don't get us started on the bloody French).

A decent Euro ski area is much better.

As for some suggestions, Italy is around 25% cheaper than its alpine neighbours so start there. As I said, Sauze for good skiing, a well set out ski school and good night life.

There are countless places to go, find a cheap late deal, don't stress to much and have fun.
snow conditions
homers double wrote:
Bulgaria is cheap for a reason, there isn't a lot of skiing, the infrastructure is fairly substandard and the locals are grumpy (and don't get us started on the bloody French).

As for some suggestions, Italy is around 25% cheaper than its alpine neighbours so start there. As I said, Sauze for good skiing, a well set out ski school and good night life.

There are countless places to go, find a cheap late deal, don't stress to much and have fun.

I'll second all that.

This is the sort of thing they call infrastructure in Bulgaria...

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
(Not Work Safe)
snow report
homers double wrote:

Aha i have tried to keep clear of the french if i can wink

yeah i will really research tonight & See although any suggestions are great!

ahaha i cannot relax as i have been a huge fan of ski/boarding just never had the chance to go.

& the fact it will be my 21st out their adds to the pressure!
snow conditions
ladtalk,

As you are working to a tightish budget, try using a few ski deal search engines. When you've hit upon anything that appears to fit the bill, run it by this site before parting with cash.
Try targeting some of the smaller Italian resorts, you'll have a ball. wink
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk,

As you are working to a tightish budget, try using a few ski deal search engines. When you've hit upon anything that appears to fit the bill, run it by this site before parting with cash.
Try targeting some of the smaller Italian resorts, you'll have a ball. wink

ahah yeah i am just that looks like a deal then hire for bit and bobs means it goes into £££££££ Shock

yeah i will do if any one has been prevoiusly to italian resorts please give me some feedback...
ski holidays
ladtalk wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

WHAT?!!! Shock

But why is this???

and where would you suggest?

&&& where did you go?

'Coz it's bloody awful. Sad

Smaller Italian resorts (unless you smoke, then go for Austria).

Rellies have an apartment in Bansko, unfortunately. Confused
ski holidays
ladtalk wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

Thank you!

this is my main concern due to work commitments march is the ideal time as well as being cheap.

BUT for an extra couple of hundred would love to know some people's idea's.

I think the Snowbombing Music Festival is on in Mayrhofen around that time, you might be able to get a cheapish trip booking though them (think they do transport/accomm/lift pass/festival pass combo-type things.
ski holidays
Andorra over Bulgaria any day - long transfer but not a problem for two adults in my opinion. That week always seems to be strangely popular - although with only two of you it would be worth waiting for a last minute deal somewhere - try a chalet, it will be far more sociable than a hotel and they chuck in free vino!
snow report
Smaller Italian resort it is !!!!

Any hotel or websites which are good let me know!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Andorra over Bulgaria any day - long transfer but not a problem for two adults in my opinion. That week always seems to be strangely popular - although with only two of you it would be worth waiting for a last minute deal somewhere - try a chalet, it will be far more sociable than a hotel and they chuck in free vino!

have you been? if so where did you stay?
ski holidays
ladtalk wrote:

There are SO many. Give us some resort names, we'll give you our opinions. Madeye-Smiley

My personal fave is Selva Val Gardena, but it's not the cheapest.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

There are SO many. Give us some resort names, we'll give you our opinions. Madeye-Smiley

My personal fave is Selva Val Gardena, but it's not the cheapest.

Well where would you suggest im looking to spend max £1,300.

Looking online the flight + hotel are not to bad but its £250+ EACH just for the hire and lift pass :/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't get involved with hire, but ski passes in big ski areas aint cheap. You could opt for a local area pass, which would be cheaper.
latest report
Just looked & for standard ski school is £375 ShockShockShockShockShockShock

jeeez
latest report
may I suggest the Brits festie? - this year in Tignes, last week of March - music festival on snow with very cheap packages available, book your own lessons!
http://www.the-brits.com/
snow report
lib-banana wrote:
may I suggest the Brits festie? - this year in Tignes, last week of March - music festival on snow with very cheap packages available, book your own lessons!
http://www.the-brits.com/

Looks good not to sure on the passes tho as hard to see what one would suit me better?
snow report
I’ve been to Bulgaria twice, once early 90s and went back for a friend’s birthday last year. Basically loads of us went for a week on the lash with a bit of skiing thrown in. The deal was really cheap and to be fair to it was not bad value. We were lucky that the week we went (first week of march), had a good dump of snow to see us through the week. I did however come away thinking that if it was your first week on snow that it could be a bit of a false economy. My personal view is that for a little bit more money and finding something in Austria/France/Andorra etc, you would get so much more from your holiday.
Someone mentioned Mayrhofen earlier, and I think it is a great resort to learn in. The ski schools are really good, the snow record and ability to make snow is first rate, and all levels of accommodation are clean and of a good standard. I would keep an eye on the various tour operator sites and monitor the prices. You don’t need to book straight away, see what deals come up in the next few weeks and just see what else you can get for your money. I would personally prefer to be in an Austrian guesthouse than a Bulgarian “4 star” hotel!
snow report
ladtalk, To go cheap you really have to do a late deal - that means waiting until Feb and then booking a package with someone. Main tour operators will be the easiest way to get the complete deal from one place. But you will have to be calm and wait until then as prices now will bare no relationship to whatever deal is available late on.
snow report
/\ this.
snow conditions
And keep an eye out for Mayrhofen Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

ho as hard to see what one would suit me better?

for you, I'd say tignes only would be plenty - thats a shed load of pistes and a glacier to boot! The Val side is great but for a beginner you wouldn't ever need it! Some very good ski schols in tignes too as I understand it!

or you could do it properly and get a snowboard Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
snow report
ladtalk, Tignes as a beginner would overwhelm you, start in a smaller resort with oompah and picturesque scenery where the green runs are not moguled (see Tignes) and you will enjoy the gradients and progress easily.

Or

Italy (Avoid Courmayeur) does not have a good progression from the nursery slopes at the top to anything else inviting. Try La Tuille nice classy little resort with enough green and blues to last you your first week, links with La Rossiere in France so large amount of skiing. Avoid Black 3 back to the village; it is truly black I promise. Has nice Gelato bar at foot of cable car.
ski holidays
Hotel Golf

in Bled, Slovenia

i have seen a cheeky deal for this one?

under £1000 for 7 nights half board and everything included too!!!

Watcha think?
snow report
lib-banana wrote:
Quote:

ho as hard to see what one would suit me better?

for you, I'd say tignes only would be plenty - thats a shed load of pistes and a glacier to boot! The Val side is great but for a beginner you wouldn't ever need it! Some very good ski schols in tignes too as I understand it!

or you could do it properly and get a snowboard Toofy Grin Twisted Evil

i want to snowboard but the other half will only ski so lads holz next year will be on a board i reckon Neh Neh

so go for Tignes then, is their lessons avaliable too??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy