Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dakine heli pack(11l) or heli pro(20l)???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of getting either the dakine heli pack (11 litre) or the heli pro (20 litre)... Just wondering if anyone here has experience with either or both and could help me make my mind up?

I'll be doing manly piste skiing but I do like to take some spare food, gloves, lenses, thermal layer, beanie and sunglasses with me. I want a bag that can accommodate these things without being overly bulky and hindering my skiing. Will the 11l pack be big enough for this or would the 20l pro be a better option?

Thanks in advance Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb, I have both and for piste skiing and the list of things you want to take, then the 11L one will be fine. I find it to be much better suited to your intended use than the larger one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomb, I have 11l one and quite like it.
It is very well made, but on the other hand have lots of those features and straps which look a bit unnecessary.
11l seems enough for me, as I still do not like to carry too much stuff, only essentials. And this one is flat and stable. Should fit all you mentioned.
I would not change it to 20l, but it is just preference and how much space you need.
It will be better if you can see them both, or at least something with similar sizes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have owned and used both DaKine packs. From what you describe the 11litre would be fine assuming you haven't got a water bladder in the bag? I used my heli pack for pretty much what you describe but had to be a bit selective if I was taking my water bladder as well.

If you go for a bigger bag they can be a pain on the lifts and feel heavy, if you aren't carrying off piste safety gear then I think you'd be better to make sure the 11l works for you.

Of course if you are the only one carrying a pack in your group you may well get asked to hold all sorts of bits for other people Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used a 20ltr dakine heli pro for around 4yrs for both piste & off piste skiing. I now own a black diamond avalung pack so now only use the dakine for hill/mountain walking around north Wales now.

Never had any probs with the dakine on lifts even with full avi gear in it. Yes when full it pushed you a bit forward on old 2&3man chairs but all still managble. The bag is very well made & bar a bit off muck stains here & there the bag is still like new. If you don't fill the 20ltr it has compression straps so you can pull it all in if you wish (I never botherd or needed too)

My dakine was the old style heli pro 22ltr. Which I think is more like the new dlx heli pro for features.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The heli pack is used as a shovel pack by the major heli operators (no kidding). So it's small enough that you don't notice riding with it, but big enough for shovel (there's a pocket) and probe and some bits and pieces.

The small pack is perfect. As with all DaKine bags, you may want to chop the straps you don't use as they will flap around. I always fasten the waist belt and the chest strap on these though, as that improves the ride I think.

The small ones are small enough that you don't have to take it off to sit on a lift (although not all lift operators agree).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the input guys, I've found both bags for £40, I'm leaning towards the 11 litre at the moment!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd consider the 20l pack. I myself have the heli pro and find it pretty good for general usage around the slopes but it is still big enough for the off piste safety equipment and such like. The smaller bag would be fine for piste usage but if you then feel like you want to venture into off piste skiing in the future then you may wish you had bought the larger bag to save you buying another larger backpack. Personally i'd just go for the larger one if they are the same price and then you at least have the options for any future off piste fun Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For us, the 20l is probably the most popular.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A more general but sort of related question: is there a significant difference between a small skiing-specific pack and a random daysack from Milletts?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It depends precisely what you mean by "significant", and which packs you have in mind.

My heli pack (the small one!) is not at all noticeable when riding snowboards, but it's not good for (say) cycling. It works, but it's just not "right". Precisely why... I think in this specific case it's the back length - my bike pack is shaped very differently and rides in a different position.

However I use different snowboards for powder and piste, and I absolutely detest HB pencils. It presumably depends how picky you are. If you're happy spelling Millets "Milletts" and buying stuff there, I'd say you'd be happy either way wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
finestgreen, the reason I'm investing in a helipack this year over a normal day sack is because they...

(a) have a good chest strap with adjustable height settings. Last year I had problems because my berghaus day sack had a waist strap but no chest strap and I found the bag would work it's way off my shoulders.

(b) they are lower volume in depth than regular day packs, making it easier to get on/off lifts etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you're happy spelling Millets "Milletts" and buying stuff there

OoOoooOooh NehNeh

Cheers!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy