Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Ruapehu ready to blow (again)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10848538

Ring of Fire heating up

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
earthquake in chile !!!!!!!!

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/world/article/6-1-magnitude-quake-strikes-Chile-4057965.php

we're Doomed, Doomed.......................
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.livescience.com/24987-new-zealand-volcano-erupts-at-risk-for-more.html

never mind Chile - Ruapehu's next door neighbour has erupted again. I spent a day at Ruapehu, some years ago, and can well remember the blithe assurances from NZ skiers that it was not going to erupt..... the next year, it did.

Stanton is probably right.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,
I was there when it went up in 2007. Lost a days skiing.... I have copied this from a post I made earlier about it.

We were in NZ in September 2007 and the ski areas were closed for that very reason. The black area on the top is the result of an eruption the night before, as is the black squiggly bit in the middle which is a laha (?), hot black flowing mud down a gulley that I was skiing in the day before.

This is a close-up of it after some locals had shown me the way around the 2 policeman blocking access to the gulley area :-

Here are the policemen (?) "stopping" you from accessing this part of the area, you cannot really see them in the photo but behind them are quite a few holes in the snow where debris had landed the night before :-

Holes like this :-

I am assured this does not happen very often but you might as well check.......

I do not have a bad word to say about New Zealand though, great country, great people, great skiing. Would go back any time.

Just to edit. The ski areas were only closed for one day because of this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fascinating pictures, thanks. I had a very brief, unscheduled visit. Was driving across N Island, actually working, from Auckland down to Wellington. Had chosen to drive, with a colleague, rather than fly and miss the whole country, and it was the weekend, so we had time. Heard a report on FM radio about great conditions at Ruapehu, then saw the amazing sight of the volcano rising up in the distance and persuaded colleague (never been skiing) we simply had to take a detour. We were in summer clothes, as we were based in Fiji. Drove up, were quickly able to hire jackets, trousers and walking boots. Friendly Kiwi on bus gave us some sun screen. We had a walk about, a (very good) coffee and sandwich, and I persuaded him we should hire ski gear for a quick go on the nursery rope drag. Was great fun, but made us horribly late for a dinner with the British High Commisioner in Wellington. We didn't really want to go to it, and they really didn't want us, so we phoned and made the excuse that I had badly miscalculated how long the drive would take us.

Next day, at the long and mostly very boring meeting, I was enjoying the sore muscles in my left arm, from hanging on so long to the nursery tow rope, helping my colleague to have his first go at skiing. Helped me to put up with the inevitably jibes about my navigational ability!

That was in 1992 IIRC, before the big eruption which lost a lot more than a day's skiing!

I was very impressed by the whole place, especially how easy it was for completely unprepared people, in summer clothes, to get up the mountain and out on the snow. Very friendly welcome, looked a great place to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone know what wax to use when riding liquid hot magma?
"Variable Conditions" I'd guess... Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy