Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Hi me and my partner are looking at staying in a catered chalet and were wondering where the best place to book a chalet with flights and transfers is?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chelt881, might be an idea to provide a little more info, i.e.

Country/countries preferred
Budget
What you want from your skiing
When
Ski in or out/apres considerations etc
Any other considerations or things you want to avoid.

I'm sure you'll get more constructive answers that way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Switzerland.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok here goes, we would like to go to either France or Switzerland, where looking to spend around £600-£700 pp. skiing wisdom looking for enough blue runs to keep a beginner snowboarder busy but also a few challenging runs for me to explore, we're looking at going out mid march time and ski in ski out would be a real bonus but not a nessesity.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you have a good 3g (or even the new fangled 4g) service provider plus a mobile gadget to look on the interweb thingy, then I strongly suggest trying to book them on the top deck of London Sightseeing's open topped tour bus. Failing that then down the pub.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chelt881, that very close to some major European school holidays http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89192

Could affect availability and prices.

Crystal have a good ski in/out catered chalet (Balcon IIRC)range in Belle Plagne - plenty of cruisey blues and more challenging stuff. A few OK bars, but nothing really banging. La Plagne in general would be fine.

Montgenevre could be worth a look too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at SilverSki. Been with them once myself, a friend has been four or five times now. Chalets in Courchevel, Meribel, La Tania and La Plagne. Comfortably within your budget too, so plenty left for lift passes and apres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is the £600-£700 pp budget all-in (i.e. including liftpass), or just flights, transfers, chalet-board accomodation?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax wrote:
if you have a good 3g (or even the new fangled 4g) service provider plus a mobile gadget to look on the interweb thingy, then I strongly suggest trying to book them on the top deck of London Sightseeing's open topped tour bus. Failing that then down the pub.

Oh look, yet another snootyhead, seriously get over yourself.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys will take a look at la plagne, the £600-£700 budget is just for accommodation chalet board, transfer and flights would be great to get lift pass in with that price but not sure that would be possible?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try folgarida, Wayne on here runs it and we've booked this year with him. £700ish gets us flights, hotel accom, transfers, ski hire (or in our case carriage), and a lift pass.

Sure it isn't a chalet but its a good deal IMO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chelt881, you could get a lift pass, equipment hire and lessons included for that budget if you went with Action Outdoors to one of the UCPA centres. Some have double rooms available (rather than just their usual dorm style) for not too much extra. Very good food, full board, some extremely well located centres. But don't go before the end of the French school hols in mid March.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chelt881 wrote:
Thanks guys will take a look at la plagne, the £600-£700 budget is just for accommodation chalet board, transfer and flights would be great to get lift pass in with that price but not sure that would be possible?

A very quick look at Crystal in La Plagne mid-March and £885 all in - HB F & T, packed lunch, ski hire, passes and free drink ( Madeye-Smiley) in a catered chalet. Given that the ski pass is probably £200ish, I reckon that's not too bad. Could probably find cheaper but you get the picture.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi chelt881,

La Plagne sounds perfect for your blues-and-harder-stuff mix and because a lot of it is high, the snow is usually good right through until April.

We've got some March spaces still available for £450 catered chalet. Flights and transfers not included but you should easily get something within that budget - we offer shared transfers for £80 pp return.

Chalet details via the link below - happy planning!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If price is a consideration wait and pick up a last minute deal. Couple will have plenty of options. Chalets are the mainstay of last minute deals. There are plenty of places that will be OK for blue runs and a bit more.
latest report
What are chalet holidays like if you aren't in a group occupying it in full? I just have a picture of (a) a wine bore going on and on every dinner about how wonderful the free Chateau Beauregard is (b) a ski bore going on and on every dinner about either the latest waxing technology or how he once skied a couloir in Canada (c) the party of four who always arrive back at 15.00hrs and eat all the cake before using all the hot water. Please tell me it isn't true.
ski holidays
muddewater, Laughing You seem to have some insider info already.... in the past I stayed in quite a few chalets, never had the whole thing, always enjoyed it. But I can imagine you might encounter the sort of thing you describe.
snow conditions
muddewater, yeah pretty much! Nah, I def like it better when we have the whole chalet, but generally have a good time either way. If you are in a 12 ish person chalet then there are enough people to chat to so you don;t get stuck with someone you don't like.

EDIT: I wouldn't book the last 2 spaces in a chalet if the others were all filled by one group tho...
ski holidays
Have booked the first 2 places in a chalet and the rest were booked by a single group, onyl a small place, just 9 beds in total. We had an absolute ball!! Couple of evenings out, skiijed with them for a day, all friends on Facebook now and keep in touch. It can work...but doubt we would ever be that lucky again!!
latest report
muddewater - I love sharing with new people. You obviously do run the risk of getting awkward types, but at the end of the day you'll be sharing with people who just want to ski/board. It's one of the best parts of chalet hols...

Mind you, in Val D'isere we had a former pilot who proceeded to demand 5-star service from the two girls in the chalet who'd obviously only ever made a pot noodle before starting a season in the Alps. He also moaned like hell about the quality of the free wine (JP Chenet) but at the same time, drank gallons of the stuff and also insisted the staff were being tight with the booze. The swedish chef (with a Leeds accent) had a word after a few days, as did a few of us guests, and he didn't say boo to a goose after that.
ski holidays
Specialman, sounds alarmingly like the old buffer I met our first night in Courchevel who was loudly regaling anyone with his expertise in food, wine, cheese, sailing, expert off-piste skiing skills, business accumen and his legendary aviation exploits including how he was and expert at taking off and landing at Courchevel, landing in the sketchiest conditions ever seen by man... odd, seeing that the guy was so fat he took up two spaces at the table, it would be a miracle if a C130 could get off the ground with him on board.

Then we met up with NickyJ and her family and dinner became much more digestable for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
chelt881, I've only done one catered chalet with Ski Horizons in Tignes. It was very good, ski in/out too. Should be within your budget.
snow conditions
Hi, I have recently been looking for a catered chalet holiday and came across www.directchalets.com and the solutions page, found it really useful to request offers from catered chalet companies. I have found the smaller independent owners often offer great deals with a more personal customer service, flights are not included but usually offer transfers from Geneva etc.
snow conditions
Embarassed that should have been www.chaletsdirect.com!!!
latest report
Have a look at ski total, travelled with them 3 times previously, they offer good value for money. If you are worried about guests in smaller chalets, consider a chalet hotel. I have stayed in two, one where we ate dinner on our own table and the other where you were seated at larger tables with different guests each night so got to chat to a variety of people. I was away with ski total when the volcanic ash cloud shut the airports and was very impressed with the efficient way it was handled getting us all home by coach just 24hrs after we should have flown. Just booked to go away with them over Christmas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy