Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro question

Poster: A snowHead
Eldest son is wanting the GoPro Hero 2 (motorsports edition) for Xmas. We have already said no for birthday this year and last Xmas, so will reluctantly bow to pressure this year and get him one (as he's paying half of the price). My boss is heading to NYC in a few days time and wonder if there are any issues about buying one in USA compared to buying in UK? Price seems a bit cheaper in USA, but not hugely cheaper.

Any advice would be welcomed

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from risking getting stung at customs, small chance but a chance therin and the fact that any returns or warranty issues would have to go through Gopro direct (either the US or one of their European based distribution outlets) then not really.

There are mixed reports about waranty claims direct with gopro, I have not to had to deal with them in that respect but others have, some say easy and cheap, some say a pain and expensive.

B and H (in NYC) are selling the hero 2 outdoor edition for $199 (I think they have officially discontinued the motorsports edition) and just buy a suction cup mount as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I warrantied my UK bought GoPro through the what I presume was them direct in the US as I live abroad and it worked fine. The support was super efficient and after getting me to try some work arounds I'd already done from the internet RMAd it straight away with a really quick turn around.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO2-Outdoor-Edition/dp/B005WY3TI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353323539&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+2&tag=amz07b-21

Amazon's usually the cheapest, I had a friend bring me one before and it was fine. And gopro filed my warranty claim without even proof of purchase, didn't even have to send in the camera, just take a photo.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you do buy from Amazon, make sure when you get it that it has the serial number sticker in the back (behind the battery). A number of dealers have been known to remove this to stop gopro identifying them selling discounted cameras. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to return it, it just may make it a little more troublesome.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
Eldest son is wanting the GoPro Hero 2 (motorsports edition) for Xmas. We have already said no for birthday this year and last Xmas, so will reluctantly bow to pressure this year and get him one (as he's paying half of the price). My boss is heading to NYC in a few days time and wonder if there are any issues about buying one in USA compared to buying in UK? Price seems a bit cheaper in USA, but not hugely cheaper.

Any advice would be welcomed

Thanks in advance

One question that quite a few people forget to ask is "do we have the kit to be able to use the video", spending £200 on a Go Pro is just the start, your son will need a good Mac or PC to do anything meaningful with the footage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski wrote:
...My boss is heading to NYC in a few days time and wonder if there are any issues about buying one in USA compared to buying in UK? Price seems a bit cheaper in USA, but not hugely cheaper.

None I can think of. Obviously your boss will have to remember to declare the items to customs and pay the duty/VAT. If he forgets then it's way cheaper of course. If your boss is actively forgetful, then dump the packaging (you don't need it anyway) and the receipt (ditto).

I had to warranty a GoPro 2 I bought in Taos last season from here in the UK. Their support is great, there's no UK-specific support, so you're dealing with the same people irrespective of where you buy it. They do not ask you where you use it, where you live, or if you paid the extra for the privilege of buying it in the UK.

B&H is usually cheapest in my experience, and also have excellent customer service should you need that.

As you're probably aware with the Mk2 the "editions" are all the same, they just have different mounts with them. Pick the one which has the stuff you think you want. For another $10 you can get a bag of extra bits to play with. Obviously buy a decent card - the biggest you can get - in the US also. In my view extra batteries are a waste of money (just turn it off between runs, else you will have to much footage anyway). The standard mounts are really all you need.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
boabski wrote:
...My boss is heading to NYC in a few days time and wonder if there are any issues about buying one in USA compared to buying in UK? Price seems a bit cheaper in USA, but not hugely cheaper.

None I can think of. Obviously your boss will have to remember to declare the items to customs and pay the duty/VAT. If he forgets then it's way cheaper of course. If your boss is actively forgetful, then dump the packaging (you don't need it anyway) and the receipt (ditto).

I had to warranty a GoPro 2 I bought in Taos last season from here in the UK. Their support is great, there's no UK-specific support, so you're dealing with the same people irrespective of where you buy it. They do not ask you where you use it, where you live, or if you paid the extra for the privilege of buying it in the UK.

B&H is usually cheapest in my experience, and also have excellent customer service should you need that.

As you're probably aware with the Mk2 the "editions" are all the same, they just have different mounts with them. Pick the one which has the stuff you think you want. For another $10 you can get a bag of extra bits to play with. Obviously buy a decent card - the biggest you can get - in the US also. In my view extra batteries are a waste of money (just turn it off between runs, else you will have to much footage anyway). The standard mounts are really all you need.

depends, extra batteries are really useful, as is the remote and wirless backpack, but as with anything, it's not how you start.......
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standee, I'm getting Photoshop for my Xmas (as I started getting into photography a few months ago) so will have decent editing software on my PC. Getting the version that has good video editing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the biggest you can get

Yep do that.

Quote:

Obviously buy a decent card

Don't do that, technically the Hero 2 only supports up to 32gb, though some have made 64gb work apparently.

Quote:

there's no UK-specific support

nope, but they do now have official EU based distribution hubs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've a couple of questions about these too.
First off, any ideas when the recently announced Hero 3 is going to be available in the UK?

Secondly, if going away for an extended period of time and I'm planning to use the camera often, can anyone recommend a good external file storage system that will allow me to dump all the files into?

Finally, does anyone know if you can add files to iPad from GoPro?

Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

any ideas when the recently announced Hero 3 is going to be available in the UK?

Currently - 1st December, though this is subject to change and if you haven't already pre-ordered you may not even get one from that batch.

Quote:

Secondly, if going away for an extended period of time and I'm planning to use the camera often, can anyone recommend a good external file storage system that will allow me to dump all the files into?

lot's of options, the easiest is a laptop, possibly with an external HDD for extra space, their are other portable storage devices which accept data directly from cards.

Quote:

does anyone know if you can add files to iPad from GoPro?

Again a couple of ways of doing this, over wifi or with an external IPAD card adapter, but be aware hd3 files can be quite space hungry.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo wrote:

Finally, does anyone know if you can add files to iPad from GoPro?

Cheers

I can confirm that the GoPro works well with the iPad 2
Just taken delivery of an apple camera connection kit from the apple store (not a 99cents one of eBay they dont work) . Took some regular still photos and some r3 footage on my hero mk1 at 60fps and 720p 1280x960. I then plugged the SD card into the ipad2 and the photos and video download quickly. They then playback perfectly in the ipad photo app, the raw video is especially good, the colours and quality is fantastic. I then plugged the iPad into my iMac and the video and photos transferred over onto iPhoto just as they would if you had plugged in the camera. So yes it will do exactly what you want it to do.

As has been mentioned already you will need a good spec pc or Mac to do make use of the footage, by the end of my weeks holiday i ususally have about 3-4 hours of video thats gets cut to about 10 minutes of actual footage that is worth watching.

Philip
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
qwertyuiop7, that's great! I already have a camera kit as I use iPad for transferring photos whilst on holiday. I guess then that you can edit video files directly on iPad also?
latest report
shenryo wrote:
qwertyuiop7, that's great! I already have a camera kit as I use iPad for transferring photos whilst on holiday. I guess then that you can edit video files directly on iPad also?

as long as the package can deal the gopro codec (h.264) encoded video then yes.
snow report
ansta1, awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Can you recommend any iPad editing apps whilst on the subject?
snow report
shenryo,

sorry no, any editing I do gets done on a desktop or laptop. I'll see if I can find any info from my contacts.

(993 posts - may just hit 1k by close of play today)....
latest report
ansta1, cheers buddy
latest report
boabski wrote:
Standee, I'm getting Photoshop for my Xmas (as I started getting into photography a few months ago) so will have decent editing software on my PC. Getting the version that has good video editing.

Depends what PC you're running it on, Photo Shop is a bit bloated, Final Cut Pro or Adobe would be better of you can get it changed.
ski holidays
shenryo, if you have net access, dropbox (2gb) or google drive (5gb) are great options.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
shenryo, if you have net access, dropbox (2gb) or google drive (5gb) are great options.

the best bet is a solid state drive with could backup, mine cost about £300 all in, but I can get all of my files anywhere, and I have 3TB of storage.
snow report
IF you're happy spending £300 on a drive, sure Laughing I'd rather use cloud storage and spend that amount of money on a ski holiday though wink
ski holidays
Video files are quite big and bandwidth can be an issue particularly if you are traveling. My laptop is running a solid-state drive so it's speedy for editing but I back up stuff from the camera and things I'm not using on to normal portable hard drives.
ski holidays
Don't bother with an ssd yet if you're only using footage off a gopro, get a .5/1tb hard drive, that'll do you fine
snow report
meh, of course, it's great if you've got a bit of extra cash. But most places these days have high-speed internet.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
IF you're happy spending £300 on a drive, sure Laughing I'd rather use cloud storage and spend that amount of money on a ski holiday though wink

I have a 3TB drive, which has cloud storage, and is backed up to three alternate locations.
snow report
Timmaah, portable hard drives aren't that expensive (certainly not £300!) and depending on where you are you might have high speed internet down but not up (e.g. Cable or ADSL) you also have to share it with everyone else and aren't stuffed when the internet connection goes down. Plus you can wack movies and any other entertainment you like on it to watch in the evenings. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ya, fair points and I agree! He mentioned the 300 quid, so was responding to that. If you bought a 0.5TB external drive for £40, that would be a cost-effective solution in my eyes but £300 seems a bit over the top.
ski holidays
meh, what do you mean you can watch things? Can these drives hold files that can be watched on iPad?

thanks for the comments guys, I will be using DropBox as and when I can, but can't rely on net connections to upload large video files
snow conditions
shenryo wrote:
meh, what do you mean you can watch things? Can these drives hold files that can be watched on iPad?

thanks for the comments guys, I will be using DropBox as and when I can, but can't rely on net connections to upload large video files

he said wack - as in place, put... Very Happy
snow report
ansta1, so, I took that as movies etc? To be later transferred to iPad for viewing?
snow conditions
shenryo, well I take a laptop with HDMI out so I'd just plug the laptop into the TV or watch the films on the laptop. I guess you might be able to transfer movies back and forth to watch them on the iPad but have no experience doing so. Smile
snow conditions
I think you can only use an external HDD connected to the IPAD if if you jailbreak it, there is a portable HDD with wifi built in (seagate goflex) and an associated app is available to let you view the content so that might work. but I always drag a laptop and an ipad around with me.
snow conditions
ansta1, meh, cheers for the heads up guys. I think I am gonna go for the HERO 3 (assuming it's out in the UK soon), buy an external HDD of about 2TB and use that for video and DropBox as extra backup for photos, whilst also using iPad to view and possibly edit.
snow conditions
shenryo, did a bit of digging and there was a version of the popular VLC media player for the iOS but it got pulled. You can get VLC Streamer though and stream things from a laptop to the iPad. Would work with an external HDD as well and is probably better in the long run than transferring stuff onto the iPad itself although it lets you do that too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vlc-streamer/id410031728?mt=8
snow conditions
shenryo wrote:
ansta1, mehiPad to view and possibly edit.

good luck with that, other than the very basics I doubt the IPad has the grunt needed, pretty much everyone I know who does editing uses a seriously powerful PC or MAC.
snow conditions
I-movie will I am told work on the IPAD (though the folk who uses it has a latest ipad). But only for shorter clips and not extensive editing. I may get a copy and see if it's useable on an original ipad. If I do I will let you know how it goes.
snow conditions
I only mean for tiny clips. Extensive editing I would do when I was back home with PC. I do have the new iPad so thought it would be cool to show off a nice pow day with a quick piece of editing from the gopro files etc
latest report
well I guess as long as you don't turn on camera-raw or pro-tune, or shoot 4k or 2.7k videos it'll probably hang together (says that without really knowing the answer)...

I can get you some 'out of camera' samples if you wanted to give it a play? But might not be skiing related....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy