Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : Shiribeshi Stories, Hokkaido 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Mike Pow, cheers for the info.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pleasure clarky999
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAY 29 : THURSDAY 13 DECEMBER 2012

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After two great days on the mountain and a lateish night at Black Diamond Lodge, a day off snow was the call for today.

Breakast done we went through The List:

Food shopping at Max Value in Kutchan

New thermals from Homac in Kutchan at a fraction of the ski shop prices

Nerys had custom molded orthotics/foot beds made by Ned Buckley
Ned's based in Rhythm Snowsports on Hirafu-zaka (the road heading up to the Alpen Base area)
We'll report back on how they feel after the next couple of days of skiing
http://www.skihirejapan.com/about/boot-fitting/

Swapped my Dynafit bindings from my 173 cm Movement Jams (136-85-117) to my new 173 cm Coreupt The Caspers (112-79-105) at Takiguchi Sports in Kutchan
I've really been wnjoying the narrower platform of my 170 cm Head Supershape i. Magnums (121-71-107) and this next change is taking the narrower platform to it's next stage
I'm either going to Dive & Thrive' or 'Drown & Frown' in the powder. Only time will tell!
http://www.spotaki.co.jp/topenglish.html

Lunch at Prativo in Niseko Higashiyama
They offer a lunch special for 1,500 yen which includes unlimited tea, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, salad bar, two desserts, and a choice of 1 main course - normally 1 meat, 2 fish, and 1 vegetarian
Excellent food, excellent value and excellent views of Mt Yotei. Well worth a visit

Apres drinks at Maki Lounge is quickly becoming part of our daily routine
Great welcome from Hamilton, warm atmosphere, and very interesting & delicious cocktails

Quiet night at home with dinner, a bottle of Malbec, and catching up on Homeland.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAY 30 : FRIDAY 14 DECEMBER 2012

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Back to Kiroro for Nerys' third day on snow.

2,100 yen for 5 hrs of fun courtesy of the voucher book I received with my seasons pass.

5-15 cm of cold, fast, dry powder on the groomed runs with up to knee deep on the fringes was the order of the day, all day!

Heard that the snow turned to elephant snot in Niseko United around 2 pm, but it was still snowing in Kiroro when we left at 4pm.

First day for Nerys with her custom orthotics, and already a big difference.

Standing taller and more centred on her skis.

Moving a lot freer with lightness and subtlety.

By day's end Nerys was playing 'follow my leader' skiing right on my tails and matching my shapes.

Nerys getting amongst it on the Yoichi #2-A Course (green) and the Center-B Course (red)

http://youtube.com/v/NzMVRXViKP8

First day on my new sticks too.

Great on the groomed, in the crud, and the lighter powder. A little trickier in the wind blown powder on the Nagamine #2-C Course with the 112 mm tips diving below the wind crust immediately.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of them over the next couple of days. Just in time for the next big storm system rolling through.

We stopped off at Maki Lounge on the way home for our daily constitutional.

For the lady, an El Presidente and a Hamilton Landing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, Nerys' skiing reminds me of being taught the golden rules of swimming when I was a small child, one of which was 'be gentle with the water'. It obviously works in snow as well - she is so calm! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the observation and analogy Pedantica.

All part of my teaching style.

'Embrace not brace, because tense makes you tired'
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, you might be interested to read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/dec/16/skiing-in-japan

long way from your neck of the woods but good to see some coverage of out of the way spots...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stunning, wonderful, photos. snowHead Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DoubleBombardino wrote:
Mike Pow, you might be interested to read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/dec/16/skiing-in-japan

long way from your neck of the woods but good to see some coverage of out of the way spots...

Great read. Thanks.

Loads of smaller places up this way too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Stunning, wonderful, photos. snowHead Thanks.

Thanks pam w
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAY 31 : SATURDAY 15 DECEMBER 2012

A day off snow for Nerys & I and a drive to Chitose to pick up Nerys' best friend Claire from London.

It's Claire's first visit to Japan and she's on Hokkaido until the 28th when she, her boyfriend Craig (who's arriving from Australia on the 20th) and Nerys leave for two days in Tokyo before flying back to the UK.

For the first part of her trip she's staying at Sekka suites right in the heart of Hirafu.

So it was an easy choice to have cocktails at Maki Lounge and dinner at Niseko Pizza her first night in town.

Both were excellent.

DAY 32 : SUNDAY 16 DECEMBER 2012

11 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Claire's first day on snow in 5 years so it had to be Kiroro.

It snowed most of the day and with quiet runs even on a Sunday, Claire got right back into it.

Like many skiers who've been taught the braking plow in a group lesson environment there's a mechanical and psychological reluctance to accept the acceleration when both skis are pointing straight down the mountain (in the fall line) and to have the patience and confidence for the whole body to balance to the pitch of the slope.

Balancing into the hill, whilst feeling safe, results in a tense and tired skier with no fluidity.

Over the course of her first day on snow Claire became more and more comfortable with allowing the glide at the start of the turn, staying long in the leg with consistent separation between the feet and the knees, and using the curve of the turn to slow her down not the skidding and pressuring of the snow that is all too prevelant on the slopes.

Some big changes for Claire today.

The lightbulb starting to go on for Claire

http://youtube.com/v/NIkg99jkCco

Back in Hirafu we had cocktails at Maki Lounge.

Hamilton preparing the French 75

Claire and Nerys

Hamilton keeping a warm welcome

And then a great dinner at A-bu-cha 2 on Hirafu zaka which was already full this early in the winter.

Deservedly so. Great atmosphere, service and food.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAY 33 : MONDAY 17 DECEMBER 2012

Rusutsu today with Nerys and Claire, and a big improvement for both ladies.

After yesterday's green runs at Kiroro, Claire progressed to red runs all day.

Quiet, perfectly groomed slopes, a little fluff on the sides, and the sun made an appearance too.

Claire skiing Heavenly View

Nerys skiing Heavenly View

Claire finding out how deep the snow is

Nerys & Claire at Rusutsu

Claire

Claire skiing at Rusutsu

http://youtube.com/v/mpSBJJ3R8Ns

Nerys skiing at Rusutsu

http://youtube.com/v/z49HSRCKMX8

Cocktail hour at Maki Lounge was followed by dinner at Wild Bills.

Sashimi platter, crab cakes, Niseko rolls.

Oishi - delicious.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAY 34 : TUESDAY 18 DECEMBER 2012

10 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Back to Kiroro for Claire's 3rd day and Nerys' 6th day on snow for this trip.

It didn't stop snowing all day, and by day's end the powder was boot top deep on the groomed runs.

Snowing too heavily to get the still camera out, but did manage to get video of Claire and Nerys enjoying the snow.

Another day of big changes for both of them.

Claire Skiing at Kiroro

http://youtube.com/v/Pk179HsxPKA

Nerys Skiing at Kiroro

http://youtube.com/v/ZqpB6JmOvNI

Claire checked out of Sekka this morning and in to Kizuna this afternoon.

Many thanks to Ian, Rina and Hamilton for their hospitality and making Claire's stay at Sekka so enjoyable.

http://www.j-sekka.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 35 : WEDNESDAY 19 DECEMBER 2012

41 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 426 cm (168") has fallen at MQ

A rest day for the ladies, so after an hour of shovelling I headed to Hirafu to meet up with long time ski partner Ian M for our first powder day of the season.

BIG WEDNESDAY

Today has to go down as one of the all-time Niseko Hirafu days.

Ian and I lapped the Hirafu gondola with a couple of rides on the Swinging Monkey chair skiing Konayuki, the old lift line, Tetsu's, and Miharashi.

It was untracked, over the head powder all morning.

Ian M in his happy place

Ian M coming up for air on the Hirafu Gondola

Ian M Video

http://contour.com/stories/legends-of-the-fall

http://youtube.com/v/U8oc1sYMlLw

Met up with Nerys & Claire for lunch at the sushi train restaurant Yotei Maru in Kutchan

followed by cocktails at Maki Lounge and dinner at Niseko Pizza.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DAY 36 : THURSDAY 20 DECEMBER 2012

36 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

8cm was forecast, a lot more came down.

Time for Nerys & Claire to ski Niseko Annupuri for the first time.

It snowed most of the day which gave us laps on the Annupuri quad with powder covering the groomed runs all day.

Nerys getting in and out of the powder

Claire skiing powder on Paradise

Claire and Nerys on Family with the Annupuri back bowls in the background

Nerys back in the powder

Claire Weeks-Pearson skiing at Niseko Annupuri

http://youtube.com/v/e0na3WOTahQ

Nerys Royal skiing at Niseko Annupuri

http://youtube.com/v/x1hoFZtX-jc

Claire's boyfriend Craig arrived from Sydney this afternoon and the four of us had a fabulous dinner at A-bu-cha 2
snow report
DAY 37 : FRIDAY 21 DECEMBER 2012

18 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

For Craig's first day on snow we headed to Rusutsu.

As has been the case so far this winter it was deserted with plenty of powder to play in.

Craig tasting Hokkaido powder for the first time

Nerys in the Rusutsu powder

Fabulous introduction to Hokkaido snow for Craig.
ski holidays
DAY 38 : SATURDAY 22 DECEMBER 2012

9 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Craig spent the day in Niseko United with his mate Mike Butler - up from Tokyo for the weekend - whilst Nerys, Claire & I skied in Rusutsu.

There was still plenty of powder on the fringes of the groomed runs and in the trees, with a smooth covering of new snow on the groomed runs that skied like velvet.

Big changes for Claire in terms of embracing the fall line and then accelerating through the curve of the turn.

And big changes for Nerys with linked, shorter radius turns in knee deep powder.

Claire Weeks-Pearson skiing at Rusutsu

http://youtube.com/v/39_ICobS4yI

Nerys Royal skiing at Rusutsu

http://youtube.com/v/KE4Xghl9jrE

The five of us had dinner at Niseko Pizza for the TGR Premiere Movie Night - The Dream Factory and Further - organised by Niseko Pizza, Explore Niseko & Niseko Photography.

A great evening, two excellent movies, and Nerys and I got very lucky in the raffle. She won The Dream Factory DVD and I won Further.

Afterwards we popped upstairs for a Corpse Reviver cocktail at the Maki Lounge After Party.

DAY 39 : SUNDAY 23 DECEMBER 2012

As of today 501 cm (197") has fallen at MQ

Although there was a great covering of dry powder and periods of brilliant sunshine, today was a rest day for Nerys, Claire & me.

Craig and Mike went out for the morning and reported great conditions in Annupuri.

After Mike took the bus back to Chitose, Claire, Craig, Nerys & I went to Yugorotei Onsen at the entrance to Niseko Moiwa.

Very relaxing, especially the massage chairs.

Snowing heavily as I type and much colder than of late.

Plenty of snow forecast for the coming week with the temperature plummetting to -20 C with the wind chill.
snow report
Mike Pow, more than 5m of snow before the end of December - that's a "healthy start" to the season?
latest report
Hey Mike, what sort of temps do you guys have in early Feb? Just sorting out my packing list now. Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Mike Pow, more than 5m of snow before the end of December - that's a "healthy start" to the season?

And I'm 'behind' by almost a week wink

Much more to come, and a very healthy start.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
Hey Mike, what sort of temps do you guys have in early Feb? Just sorting out my packing list now. Smile

Normally between -5 and -15 C
snow report
Mike Pow, cheers!
latest report
DAY 40 : MONDAY 24 DECEMBER 2012

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

An absolutely glorious Christmas Eve in Niseko Hirafu and Hanazono.

Sunshine, blue skies, quiet slopes, and Santa skiing around. What's not to like.

Nerys and Claire in the Hirafu gondola

Craig, Claire and Nerys at the top of the Swinging Monkey lift with Mt Yotei as the backdrop

Claire and Craig ringing the Hanazono bells with Annupuri peak as the backdrop

Claire and Nerys ringing the Hanazono bells with Annupuri peak as the backdrop

Jonathan Martin of Nisade skiing at Hanazono with one of his Vale guests

After a great morning in Hanazono we headed back over to Hirafu skiing Jumbo, Rinkan and Green down to Boyoso restaurant.

Best food, value and atmosphere on the mountain for me. Ten-don (prawn tempura with rice) being my favourite.

Craig and Claire enjoying lunch at Boyoso in Niseko Hirafu

Nerys doing her best Guns'n'Roses at Boyoso

Claire, Nerys and Santa on the slopes

Claire

Nerys

Claire Weeks-Pearson skiing at Niseko Hirafu

http://youtube.com/v/NowChOUhErg

Nerys Royal skiing at Niseko Hirafu

http://youtube.com/v/Z51byDM_NlE
snow report
DAY 41 : TUESDAY 25 DECEMBER 2012

After opening up our stocking and presents, we headed to Annupuri for Nerys, Claire and Craig's first ever Christmas Day turns.

It was also the first Christmas away from Wales for Nerys.

No pressure then.

Thankfully it was another sunny morning with great visibility and spongy powder on the fringes.

We lapped the quad and gondola for a couple of hours and then headed in for the buffet lunch.

Craig, Claire and Nerys with the crackers Craig had brought over from Australia

Craig and Claire in the festive spirit

Nerys Claus

For Christmas dinner we skipped the turkey and went to Maccarina (also spelled Makkarina) in the village of Makkari half-way between Hirafu and Rusutsu.

It's one of two 1-star Michelin restaurants in the area - the other being Kamimura in Hirafu - and is a French influenced restaurant using the finest local ingredients.

http://www.maccarina.co.jp

Claire and Nerys at Maccarina

We ordered the seven course degustation menu which included

a medley of lamb, foie gras, vegetables, salmon and mussel

braised leek

pumpkin soup

octopus and a beef & pork sausage

turbot for the ladies

and venison for the gentlemen

bitter chocolate tart with pumpkin ice cream

and to finish coffee and petits fours

A thoroughly wonderful experience which I can't recommend highly enough.
snow report
DAY 42 : WEDNESDAY 26 DECEMBER 2012

37 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

It was snowing and blowing on the drive out and back from Maccarina last night and we woke to a foot or so of fresh and sunny skies again (which turned to snow around mid morning).

Boxing Day was spent at Niseko Hirafu.

For the non-Commonwealth amongst you, Boxing Day is a public holiday celebrated in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand & Hong Kong the day following Christmas Day, when traditionally servants and tradesmen would receive gifts from their superiors or employers known as a "Christmas box".

Our "Christmas box" was powder and sunshine.

We skied the green courses Green, Sennoki and Kogen and the red course Alpen for most of the morning.

I managed one lap of mid-thigh deep and face shots in the old lift line and Craig made a couple of laps in the old lift line and Miharashi with Ben Thorpe from Japan Ski Experience. Ben made the arrangements for Claire & Craig's accommodation in Kizuna.

We had lunch at Boyoso again, but instead of taking the Holiday Pair Lift and walking up to the restaurant as we did on Christmas Eve this time we skied Ni-Kabe down to the front door.

This was Claire's first black run of her Hokkaido holiday and she nailed it. Especially the knee deep crud and bumps at the bottom of the run.

Today was the last day I skied with Claire this holiday and she's made big changes in the time we spent together.

First and foremost she had a great time and wants to ski next winter. She last skied five winters ago in Tignes, France and didn't really want to try it again.

And over the course of skiing five different areas - Kiroro, Rusutsu, Niseko Annupuri, Niseko Hirafu, Niseko Hanazono - she's come to embrace the fall line and balancing with the mountain not against it.

She also got to see 250 cm (98") of snow fall during her visit.

Here's Claire skiing Kiroro on her first day and then Niseko Hirafu today

Claire Weeks-Pearson skiing at Niseko Hirafu

http://youtube.com/v/mTzoi8nMmHQ

Before lunch Nerys ran in to a shoddy piece of Hirafu grooming avoiding a snowboarder and got a stinger to her hamstring as she ejected from her bindings.

So after lunch she and Claire pulled up a chair at the Tanta An bar in the Grand Hirafu Mountain Center and watched skiers and snowboarders flying down to the Hirafu gondola. Sometimes literally.

Craig and I stayed out and did laps in the old lift line

Craig Menyweather Riding at Niseko Hirafu

http://youtube.com/v/bfgnN5QoV2Y

Cocktails at Maki were followed by dinner at Niseko Pizza with Ian M.

The new menu has been unveiled and the smoked salmon with asparagus sauce pizza and wholemeal crusts are excellent additions to Cezar's extensive repertoire.
ski holidays
DAY 43 : THURSDAY 27 DECEMBER 2012

28 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Nerys' last day of skiing on Fantasy Island Sad

For this trip Smile

And with her leg all good it was back to where we started, Kiroro.

They've had a bit of snow at Kiroro

It was cold, windy at times, and snowing heavily off and on.

Nerys happy to be indoors for a bit

Nerys kicked it up several notches today with effortless groomed skiing, ripping powder skiing on the fringes of the red runs, and her first ungroomed black run with knee deep powder and crud.

Nerys Royal Skiing at Kiroro

http://youtube.com/v/xUOHVkTp6_U

A great way to finish and already looking forward to her return in March.

DAY 44 : FRIDAY 28 DECEMBER 2012

29 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 602 cm (237") has fallen at MQ

Today's new snow was of the highest order but it was a day off the slopes for me as I drove Nerys, Claire and Craig to Chitose for their flight to Tokyo.

They're spending a couple of days in the city before flying back to the UK.

Great to see them all and to spend Christmas with them.

And great to see Nerys on the island and on skis again.

She got to ski five different areas - Kiroro, Rusutsu, Niseko Annupuri, Niseko Hirafu, Niseko Hanazono - and see 344 cm (135") of snow fall during her visit.

December delivered.
snow conditions
DAY 45 : SATURDAY 29 DECEMBER 2012

14 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 1 with the Wikmans from Brisbane, Australia

Liz and Graeme, their children Jack, Tim & Annie and patriarch of the family John Pidgeon.

Fantastic first day on snow in Niseko Hirafu with perfect grooming, blue skies, sunshine, and light powder in the trees.

Tim, Annie, Jack, Liz and John on Sennoki

Graeme and Liz at the top of the King Hooded Triple chair

DAY 46 : SUNDAY 30 DECEMBER 2012

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

R-A-I-N

A miserable day in the Niseko Resort Area.

Rain to approx 700 m for most of the day, at times torrential, meant a day off snow and a shopping excursion to M Pocket, Co-op and Takiguchi for Graeme, Liz, John and I with lunch at Yotei Maru.

Found out this morning that an image I took of Greg Heptonstall off the Peak at Niseko Hirafu was chosen as the cover for SnowAction magazine's Ski Japan 2013 Mega Guide

http://snowaction.com.au/archives/1098

Happy days.

DAY 47 : MONDAY 31 DECEMBER 2012

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

December brought 473 cm (186") of snowfall with snow falling on 29 of the 31 days.

The biggest 24 hr snowfall was 46 cm (18") on 10 December, and this was the second snowiest December in the seven winters I've been keeping records.

December 2011 was the snowiest with 514 cm (202") of snowfall.

Yesterday's rain and below freezing temperatures overnight had set up an icy rain crust on and off the groomed runs that was only marginally covered by the new snow at first lifts this morning.

The upper mountain was on windhold, which meant queues of up to 10 minutes at Center 4 and 20 minutes at the Hirafu gondola.

The pistes were rock hard with dust on crust and chicken heads everywhere until lunchtime.

Less than ideal.

Then the snow started to fall in earnest and each run got progressively better, with the crunch being replaced by the velvet swoosh.

Big improvements for John and Liz today.

I joined John and the Wikmans for dinner at Ezo Seafoods in Hirafu.

The best crab and oysters I've had on Hokkaido.

Bar none.

http://www.ezoseafoods.com/

Happy New Year and here's to a deep & light 2013.
ski holidays
DAY 48 : TUESDAY 01 JANUARY 2013

25 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM HOKKAIDO

2013 broke calmer and warmer than the last day of 2012, with Hokkaido feathers covering my deck.

I met Ian M at a deserted Hirafu gondola at 9 am and we skied Konayuki and Miharashi until 10.45

We were joined for two laps by Daniel Barker, formerly of the parish of East Grinstead and now of Tokyo, holidaying here with his family.

Ian had skied with Daniel last week and said he liked to ski the same lines we did. That was good enough for me.

48 hrs ago Miharashi got rained on. Today it offered up knee to waist deep powder.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly this mountain changes.

Ian in Miharashi

Daniel in Miharashi

Met up with Graeme, Liz and Annie at 11 am and we did laps on the Center 4 quad until 1.30 pm

All enjoying the new snow and letting the skis go.

Tim joined us for lunch at King Bell and then after lunch Tim and I made laps on the King Hooded Triple Lift skiing knee to waist deep powder (for me) and at times chest deep powder for Tim in Rinkan.

Tim Wikman skiing Rinkan at Niseko Hirafu

http://youtube.com/v/jg4tUXgaZug

A fabulous way to start 2013.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, Happy New Year to you, and thanks for your marvellous reports. Very Happy
snow conditions
How are you finding the thinner ski's Mike??
ski holidays
Hey Mike.. was just curious how you convert pounds to yen? Last time I went to Tokyo finding an ATM was a nightmare.. so was wondering how the situation in Hokkaido is with exchange rates etc.
snow conditions
Thanks Pedantica, Happy New Year to you.

Been skiing my 170 cm Head Supershape i. Magnums (121-71-107) mostly so far Kitenski. They've been perfect for all the snow conditions we've had this winter.

The base has set up now after the rain and freeze cycle so going to try my 173 cm Coreupt The Caspers (112-79-105) in the deeper stuff today.

They've been great on the groomed and in boot top powder let's see if I can cope in waist deep powder.

I use http://www.xe.com Timmaah.

There's an ATM in Hirafu and one in Kutchan.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 2-01-13 15:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
They've been great on the groomed and in boot top powder let's see if I can cope in waist deep powder.

I suspect you'll be fine wink

Out of interest, what's situation for eating out if you are a vegetarian ? I'm working on convincing Mrs AAT that a trip to Japan is a must do...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-01-13 14:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow, I'm hoping rob@rar and skimottaret take their Titans to Niseko this season...............

I found in Val D'Isere I just sunk too much in waist deep powder on my Titans, unless the slope was very steep I tended to just stop!! When it firmed up and got less deep the Titans were great!

regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow, I'm hoping rob@rar and skimottaret take their Titans to Niseko this season...............
I won't be. Either Rev90s or the Jimis (plus all screws wink).
snow report
rob@rar, MTFU

but I do reckon sub 100mm under foot may result in a vastly increased faceshot count......
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

I suspect you'll be fine wink

Out of interest, what's situation for eating out if you are a vegetarian ? I'm working on convincing Mrs AAT that a trip to Japan is a must do...

No problem.

Plenty of vegetarian options. Plenty of variety.

All delicious.

And powder is meat free Wink
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

I found in Val D'Isere I just sunk too much in waist deep powder on my Titans, unless the slope was very steep I tended to just stop!! When it firmed up and got less deep the Titans were great!

regards,

Greg

That's the great thing about Hokkaido powder.

Most of the time you can ski knee deep powder on green run pitches. Often on the green runs themselves.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, MTFU

but I do reckon sub 100mm under foot may result in a vastly increased faceshot count......

Without a doubt.

Worked out the narrower platform today.

The center mounting on the twin tips has given me considerably less ski forward of my toes.

All clicked today and spent most of the day knee to mid-thigh deep whilst most were surfing on the surface.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 2-01-13 15:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DAY 49 : WEDNESDAY 02 JANUARY 2013

20 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Most of the new snow fell before nightfall yesterday evening but there was still plenty of powder to enjoy throughout the day.

I spent the first part of the morning with John Pidgeon and Louise Siganto skiing the wonderfully groomed pistes of Family and Sennoki in Niseko Hirafu.

The deserted Sennoki green course from the Ace Pair Lift #1

After Monday's dust on crust John let his skis run on the soft groomers today.

John skiing Sennoki in the sunshine

Hope I'm making shapes like that at 86!

Louise hadn't been skiing for quite a few years but after a couple of laps on the Family run she found her feet and more importantly the confidence to embrace the acceleration at the start of the turn.

This gave her the time to stand tall and relaxed, to balance with the mountain, and transition from a gliding wedge to parallel skiing.

Louise warming up on the Family run

"Are you sure I should be accelerating?"

Almost there

Happy Days

John and Louise on the Family run

After the mid-morning ultimate chocolate and coffee break at The Vale I made laps of the King Hooded Triple lift skiing Center and Rinkan with Graeme, Jack, Tim and Annie.

Jack skiing Rinkan

Tim skiing Rinkan

Annie skiing Rinkan

Post a very late lunch Graeme skied home and Liz joined us for more laps off the King Hooded Triple lift.

We called it a day as the light got flat and the storm clouds rolled in.

Snowing and blowing as I type, tomorrow should bring more powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy