Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single skier trying to avoid excessive single-supplements!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My friend wants to go off skiing early next year, but will be on his own. Went to the ski show yesterday and he has highlighted Canada (Has done Baanf(sic) before) but when talking to operators no-one seemed to cater for single skiers.

Any suggestions as to where he can look for a decent deal appreciated, I imagine he will consider other resorts than Canada if there is a good deal to be had!

Thanks in advance

ScottyDog
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One general rule worldwide is that hostel accommodation can work very well for single skiers (or travellers generally), not necessarily because hostels are the most comfortable places to stay(!), but you definitely find the most interesting and adventurous people in them. You can also find great skiing buddies, which is the main thing.

The good hostels do provide a good night's sleep, a good breakfast, and maybe even a good evening meal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scottydog, if he doesn't mind sharing a room:
http://www.oakhall.co.uk/winter/html/canada.htm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottydog, in my experience Inghams are the best big TO for single travellers wanting to go to Canada in terms of price. I myself booked a week in Banff for less than £700, that also included insurance and flight upgrade! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done lots of holidays as a single traveller, and even more when I've been without a partner in a group, and so had to go on my own.

There are three main ways to do it without too much added expense-

First he could try organising his own trip, book his own flights, transfers, and book direct with the hotel/lodge etc to get a single room. In Europe this can be a bit of a lonely way to do it, because you have noone to ski with, but in Canada I don't think this will be a problem, with most resorts organising free hosting, and it being almost impossible to not be adopted by people over there if they find out that you're on your own.

Second is to search through the various TO's brochures, to see who do the best deals for singles, from memory, Inghams, Club Med, and Mark Warner are pretty good, Ski World also have a very few single rooms, however single rooms do tend to sell out early. With Mark Warner there is the added bonus of ski-hosting as well which solves the social side of things quite nicely. Unfortunately they don't go to North America.

Third, and the one that I used to do most often is to use your flexibility as a single to your advantage and book ultra late. Most TOs will waive single supplements, or at the very least reduce them on top of the room reductions already in place. You don't always go as cheap as you would as a couple, but it's usually cheaper than brochure price, and miles cheaper than the full price and single supplement. It gets even cheaper if he marks himself as a single traveller, willing to share. I've done that a few times now, and not yet had to share with a stranger. If you're a girl, it's even less likely to happen.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went as a single to France once (my mates had booked up and I tagged along later). I bought flight and transfer from Inghams which is by the seat and booked an apartment in Flaine through Erna Low (but the resort does on-line booking of appartments direct from letting agents - I'm sure that other resorts will do this) and this was much much cheaper than going through a travel agent. There must be hotel/cheap apartments somewhere in the world that can be got to like this.

From Geneva airport there are regular bus services to lots of resorts which could be lined up with budget airlines I expect.

Thomas cook do cheap flights to Canada (or at least they did). Or perhaps think about Expedia or the like.

The options as a single traveller are huge at the moment with the web but probably nothing from regular tour operators will work.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For DIY, Zoom offer cheap(ish) flights http://www.flyzoom.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubDsp.dspReservations
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The hostel in Lake Louise may as well be a hotel, it's gorgeous!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks! I will pass this all on!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottydog, hope this isn't too late - there is a hotel in Jasper where Crystal are offering single rooms at no supplement - trawl through the brochure. However, I'm an old hand at this and I'd recommend he ring the smaller operators and ask if they'd do him a single room in January at no supplement. Most of them will - this was confirmed by a few operators at the Ski Show yesterday. If they've only got a few properties, they seem to be keener to fill them than to risk having a half-empty hotel. Last year I went with Ski Miquel to Bad Gastein, lovely double room, no supplement. They also do Whistler, and a few other European resorts. They know they won't fill their hotels/chalets in January.
By the way, as per on other threads, the ski show was very disappointing - apart from the chocolate fountain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scottydog, Just booked 14 days in Banff as a single with premium flight upgrades the best deal I got was £950 with breakfast included. Often you can get single supplement wavered on a last minute deal. otherwise you need to book early some brochures highlight single room accommodation. best deals in Europe are obtained by booking direct with accommodation and arranging own transport.

NB Often you can't book singles with Tour operators on line if you search as a single it will show no flights available repeat search as a couple and bingo there available again. Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy