Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Dec 16th - 19th - Closed - Help me sort my trip :-(

Poster: A snowHead
I have just had the bombshell dropped that Chamonix is not opening untill Dec 22nd this year! I've booked 16 - 19th Dec for a quick getaway. Apparently Les Grand Montets is opening the 8th December but can someone help me by answering:

I'm staying in Chamonix centre - Will a bus be running to grand montets
What other ski options are there in the area - Couymayer?
Will the liftpass be reduced for just one area?
Is this really that bad - I should have checked first!

Help me regain some sanity before I throw in the towell
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I shall resist any cheeky comments.

Looks like, snow permitting (!) GMs opens for season on the 8th which I hadn't picked up on and which fills me with cheer at the idea of getting in some sliding.

Buses will be running through the valley.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.chamonet.com/lifts/dates.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
I shall resist any cheeky comments.

Looks like, snow permitting (!) GMs opens for season on the 8th which I hadn't picked up on and which fills me with cheer at the idea of getting in some sliding.

Buses will be running through the valley.

I've made alll of those comments to myself Sad

Only there for 3 nts so if I can get some skiing in it will be good (that's the reason I'm going). How about other resorts?

Appreciate this help...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apparently Courmayeur open from November 30th??? Can I get there easily from Chamonix? Bus, Train? Handglider...... ARRRGGGHHHHH!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrlossyman, any chance the hotel will refund you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No chance of a refund. A bt gutted because I was basing my assumptions of it being open on:

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/Marketing/tarifs/Tarifs_1ere_Neige_hiver_2013_GB.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrlossyman, if the snow is kind, quite a few places will open early...

But you won't know until it happens pretty much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fingers crossed! I'm sure I'll get to ski somewhere, just may have to play it by ear and trust mother nature! Hopefully Chamonix will be lively in prep for the new season...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mrlossyman, That's rather cheeky of them!

Anyway cross fingers and you'll be fine...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrlossyman, I can sympathise!

Just been looking at Cham as a possible destination for our 3 day per Crimbo trip and was attracted by the 3 days pass for the price of 2 offer BUT if much of the area is not going to be open we'll go elsewhere
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes it's not good! Must remain optimistic though! I'm in the mountains so I'm sure I will find somewhere to ski!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can get a hire car, that way you can travel under your own steam to wherever may be open. I suspect if good snow arrives many of the small resorts that are well worth skiing in will open early, having your own car would enable you to take advantage of that.

You can reach Courmayer by bus or drive through the tunnel. I have found it can have very different snow to the Cham valley ie when one is poor the other has been good.

Good luck, hope the snow falls well for you
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowMac wrote:
I suspect if good snow arrives many of the small resorts that are well worth skiing in will open early,

They don't usually, they would rather protect the snow for Christmas and the rest of the season than open early for a few skiers!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mrlossyman wrote:
Will a bus be running to grand montets
What other ski options are there in the area - Couymayer?
Will the liftpass be reduced for just one area?
Is this really that bad -

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Don't worry- have a great time.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
SnowMac wrote:
I suspect if good snow arrives many of the small resorts that are well worth skiing in will open early,

They don't usually, they would rather protect the snow for Christmas and the rest of the season than open early for a few skiers!

I think I have seen Les Houches, Avoriaz, Les Gets all open early in recent years...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-11-12 10:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Those places that open early will often open early at weekends. Which is not so great if you're arriving on a Sunday and holidaying until mid week...
snow report
Yes, possibly weekends.
snow conditions
Anyway, if there's enough snow for smaller, lower local stations to open, the Grands Montets will be open.

So no problem.
ski holidays
Yes not so promising!

I'll probably be in Cham by 11am on the Sunday 16th so may get a half day in Houches. As I've already booked my transfers to Cham a car is out of the question so i will rely on the local transport system. I am so hoping I can get to Courmayeur for a days skiing as that's a day out of the way. I need to try and work out where elso I can ski for the other two days, I suppose Grands Montets even partially open would be a fun way to spend the day although, cold!

I know it's all weather permitting but I can't believe Cham opens so late...

I really appreciate all the encouragement, as I'm skiing solo I need to be on the slopes otherwise a few days in Cham will be a bit boring!
latest report
Flaine opens for business on the 15th I think (although not the outlying parts of the GM that are a bit easier to get to).
snow report
Any Heli transfers in Chamonix? That could be an option....
snow report
mrlossyman wrote:
Whitetracks does heli transfers but that might be bit of an extreme solution... Wink http://www.whitetracks.co.uk

Not sure about your abilities but you could always get a guide and skin up somewhere, could be an adventure!
I reckon you will be ok for a few days with Les Houches and GM, just pray for some decent snow!
latest report
Quote:

get a guide and skin up somewhere

+1

"Grands Montets even partially open would be a fun way to spend the day although, cold!" - in theory, it should all be open. Whey so cold? Not necessarily...

"I know it's all weather permitting but I can't believe Cham opens so late... " - Supply and demand and confidence of snow.
snow report
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
mrlossyman wrote:
Whitetracks does heli transfers but that might be bit of an extreme solution... Wink http://www.whitetracks.co.uk

Not sure about your abilities but you could always get a guide and skin up somewhere, could be an adventure!
I reckon you will be ok for a few days with Les Houches and GM, just pray for some decent snow!

I was in Cham in march in glorious sunshine. However, the GM has memories of my camera actually freezing up at lognans! It refused to work until it got back to the chalet! That day was cold at about -20!
latest report
Quote:

I can't believe Cham opens so late...

The majority of French ski resorts won't be open properly until the weekend after your trip. Yes, some will partially open for weekends earlier if there's plenty of snow. It would hardly make sense for them to have to have an army of lift operators and pisteurs on standby just in case some snow, two men and their dog turn up on a Tuesday morning.
snow conditions
I agree. It's probably my ignorance having been to Chamonix so many times but I thought it would open early as it's such a great destination and easy to get to. I just hope it snows lots so I can ski Grands Montets and Courmayeur. If I can get these and half day in Les Houches I will be a happy guy. I'll be skiing in January so this is a warm up and time to get a bit of head space away from reality...
snow report
mrlossyman, Last year? early-mid feb?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last winter was crazy cold, our diesel froze...
latest report
Quote:

easy to get to

because it's at a low altitude.... so the road isn't difficult and doesn't often get clogged up by snow. wink Les Houches will only be open if there's a nice lot of early snow. Fingers crossed, though I wouldn't mind if the mega dump held off till I've arrived in my alpine destination on 19 December!
snow conditions
Quote:
I just hope it snows lots so I can ski Grands Montets and Courmayeur
Er, are transfers readily available to Courmayeur and back? The OP won't have the use of a car.....
snow report
mountainaddict, During the season yes, there are one or two buses in each direction through the tunnel.

I believe the winter timetable begins Dec 10.
snow report
The official chamonix Facebook page replied and said they will be, however I have no idea if this drops at the lift?
snow report
mrlossyman, I am confused at the post. Grands Montets is the best bit. Getting there by bus is a bit ofa faff but nothing toooo bad (a taxi f you are feeling flush). The terraine is fantastic as is the snow from the top. Dare I suggest hooking up with the SCGB leader if you are on your ownsome?
snow report
The Problem is the lift up to the grands Montets won't open till the 22nd dec, only the first part of the lift. I've been to chamonix several times and was there in march. Whilst grands Montets is the best bit, three days without the top lift won't be much fun hence why courmayeur may be a good option. It's a real pity brevent and flegere won't be open as I like this linked domain. I am sure things will work out, I'll have my skis so I'll find somewhere to slide!
snow report
mrlossyman, Without the top lift?

Matey, I can't recall the last time I bothered with the top lift.

What's the issue?

Bumps on Heirse not big enough dor you?
snow conditions
Not an issue it's just a bit limited for 4 days skiing. I suppose if the snow is good I can practise my off piste skills! The way it's going even the Montets won't be open, snow is looking sparse but lots of time to go!
snow conditions
mrlossyman,
There is another option. I know it's early in the season but it is possible to skitour. A guide will be expensive if you're a solo skier, but you might find someone in the hotel who would share with you. Or contact the Compagnie des Guides and see if someone wants 1/2 day's work just before Christmas. I guarantee once you've tried it, you'll want to go again and again
snow conditions
Interesting but how do you get up the mountain? Sounds like fun though and probably some good ski tips...
snow conditions
mrlossyman, You walk...

Seriously.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy