Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking to buy my first pair of ski boots. I am an advanced skier who had always rented before but I just bought a pair of Head Supershape Magnums and want a great performing, yet comfortable, boot to compliment them.

I am planning on having a session with a boot fitter but was wondering if anyone could recommend some good models / appropriate flex ratings?

My stats are:
Height - 182 cm (5'11")
Weight - 76 kg (167 lbs)

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy
Seriously mate, get thee to a reputable fitter and be guided by him.
Flex varies with brand and is only relative.
No one can see your feet on here so what fits my wide plates and suits my intermediate technique might ruin your day, yet but still be a great boot.
If you tell us where you are I'm sure people will chime in with names of reputable fitters in your area.
If the boot fitter doesn't ask you lots of questions WALK AWAY!
Don't be surprised if a decent fitter only offers you 2-3 boots to try, if you have a narrow low volume foot he will only try and get you in a narrow low volume boot even if you want "red" ones (they go faster you know, lol).
Bear in mind that a good fitter can make a tight boot bigger but there is little to be done if the boot starts out too big.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for going to a fitter. Based on my ski experience (or lack of) and reading online I thought I'd be looking at boots with a flex rating of less than 100. I was fitted at Rivington Alpine and ended up getting a pair of Head Vector 110.

My experiences mirror lilywhite's advice, as I was provided with 3 boots to try based on my measurements. I also feel like they are too tight but was reassured that the boots will bed in after skiing and if they don't, issues are easily rectified.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gambo, +1 for lilywhite's and justatheory's advice.

The first pair of boots I bought, I got off the shelf in a shop in Munich. No fitters, noone to measure my feet or provide advice ... It was a bit like going into M&S. Put them on, tightened them up and thought these are the ones for me. I was a novice at the time but as I got gradually better at skiing, I realised that my feet were moving around inside them. Anyway, took the advice above and went to Colin at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester for some new boots ... Colin described the boot's i'd bought in Munich as 'Le Bateau'! I was soon sorted with some boots I have since had some great skiing days in.

I think that just about proves the theory snowHead ... find yourself a fitter.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gambo, welcome to Snoweads.

+1 from me too - your boots need to complement your feet, not your skis. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do NOT get hung up on the brand!

All you have read about in the advertising guff about flex and torsion is just techno twaddle!

I suggest you wear a blindfold and let the fitter do the work and find out which are the most comfortable when you take the blindfold off.

Your boots are the most important interface between your brain and the mountain and unless your comfy you can never ski and enjoy.

I bought a pair of boots this year at Snot&Pox they were OK .. the colour was crap and they fitted.
I used them in the fridge for a couple of hours and then took them to a glacier in Switzerland for a day.
They hurt like mad.
I've taken them back to the shop to have them fettled, so they heated up and bent the boot and with an angle grinder took a bit of my ankle which stuck out a bit.

They seem fine now. I did make a video of the fitting session to make sure the boot fitter knew what he was up against.

Another tip is do NOT let them put them in a box for you. Insist that you walk out of the shop wearing them. That way they cannot swap them for another pair of similar boots they keep behind the counter so you have to buy yet another pair next season.

Apart from that be careful of the colours !!! You must get the colour right as God punishes those who do not co-ordinate.
As a rule Red is best.
Yellow is reserved for people who ski like me.
Green is for off piste.
Brown is for Extreme Off Piste.
Grey is for Piste Off.

I hope this helps and enjoy your fitting session.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Another tip is do NOT let them put them in a box for you. Insist that you walk out of the shop wearing them. That way they cannot swap them for another pair of similar boots they keep behind the counter so you have to buy yet another pair next season.

Whoa! Does this actually happen!!! That's outrageous.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrLawn, they took a piece OF your ankle with a grinder!! Thats extreme bootfitting, I always thought they custom fit the BOOT....... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justatheory wrote:
Quote:

Whoa! Does this actually happen!!! That's outrageous.

no it doesn't ... not in any reputable shop anyway
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lilywhite wrote:
DrLawn, they took a piece OF your ankle with a grinder!! Thats extreme bootfitting, I always thought they custom fit the BOOT....... Very Happy

I have had a bit ground off my foot so it would fit in my ski boot, I had it done at a proper hospital though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, I think it was a badly worded post. I was nosing on epic the other day and someone on there had had foot surgery to fit boots too. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lilywhite,If you look at DrLawn, posts, they tend to try to be on the humour side wink He's probably someones footwear Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones, thanks, my comment was a little tongue in cheek too. If I get too many for xmas I might sew buttons on them too. Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
surefeet in val disere are superb .expensive yes .fit superb
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts!

I am going to edge and wax on Saturday, I hear they provide good service.
latest report
vipul wrote:
surefeet in val disere are superb .expensive yes .fit superb

Sure foot have a shop in London tho. It IS a good fit, but it's a different method from the traditional bootfitter. I think there's pros and cons to both.
ski holidays
feef wrote:

it's a different method from the traditional bootfitter. I think there's pros and cons to both.

not really anything too different

1 assess foot
2 select relevant shell
3 build insert
4 discuss liners
5 put it all together

the basic difference is that they have one type of insert for all feet and tend towards foam liners for all feet

the shells they use are all stock shells from brands (some of them re-branded with their own logo) the footbed they use is from a US company called AMfit they use a cut down version which stops untrained persons from doing corrections, and the liners they have used to be by conformable but they have recently moved to to another brand which make for them

a traditional boot fitter will carry a selection of shells from different brands, make 1 or 2 different brands of footbed to offer choice in terms of budget and fit for different feet and carry a selection of different after market liners
ski holidays
Gambo wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts!

I am going to edge and wax on Saturday, I hear they provide good service.

Hi, I hope Tom and Jez were able to get your sorted out with some new shoes! Thanks for choosing my little shop, and I hope what you heard rings true Smile

Agree with comments above regarding putting faith in a good fitter, there are a few of us dotted around the UK. www.bsba.co.uk is a good source of boot fitters who have been doing the grafting to offer good service.

Cheers!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
latest report
scottydog,

Strange link Puzzled

Did you mean http://www.skibootpro.co.uk/
ski holidays
musher wrote:
scottydog,

Strange link Puzzled

Did you mean http://www.skibootpro.co.uk/

thats the one
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy