Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portaski ski carrier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone actually used one of these and if so how did they find them, I'm normally happy to carry my skis but after pulling muscles earlier this year I could do with some help instead of OH having to carry them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not used it but can't imagine it being much help! If you have to use buses/stairs/esculaters you'll still have to pick up the skis, you won't have the benefit of the poles in one hand to steady yourself, if the pulled muscles are in your back or shoulders your body will be pulled at an unnatural angle and you will feel every rut you drag the skis over. On gravel they will topple over. Your skis will be an obstacle for everyone else unlucky enough to share a path with you.
I would either A, get hubby to carry both sets of skis and you carry the poles.
B, book a resort with lockers on mountain so that you can leave the skis there rather than carting them back and forth.
C, get ski in/out accom and not carry them at all.
D, if you really need to carry them yourself, get a decent length of wide nylon webbing and attach some soft and some hook velcro to both ends of it so you can make a tight loop under the heel binding and a tight loop round the top of the skis where the tips begin to flare leaving you with a shoulder strap where your skis are quite flat to your back rather than jutting out 6' behind you (we did this for the kids when they were twee). Of course if you have a soft ski bag anyway, just use that too/from the slope and either bung the bag in a rucksack or a locker?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Won one from some comp on the web somewhere, my 8 year old thinks it is great, not used in a resort yet but has been tested up and down the street! I guess it may work for you Mags2009, but it is quite a bulky device, a bit big for a jacket pocket so if you don't ski with a backpack it might be a problem.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks lilywhite, and davkt, that is what I suspected also is did look bulky. My OH has no problem carrying my skis but I thought that this could give me a bit more independence.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesn't look as if it would be much use in slush and possibly would be too point weighted to work well on snow.

Being clipped daily by tourists pulling 'wheelie' cabin cases on the London underground, I can see you running into problems with others in the resort when using that device, especially when someone either steps on, or trips over, your unprotected, trailing skis. I think it would be very difficult to argue that you had 'right of way'.

Another 'cheat' carry is to get velcro pads attached to the straps for your baton/poles. When you want to carry your skis, you wrap the straps around the skis, attach the velcro and use the poles as a handle. You can do this with strapped poles without adaptation but the velcro additons allow strap wrapping, makes the whole operation much quicker and prevents the poles sliding.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RattytheSnowRat, These are the type of problems I suspected but when I saw the advert I wondered if it could be a solution and stop me damaging my poor muscles further, fortunately my OH or son are happy to carry my skis which is mainly along the carpark at Cairngorm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mags2009, I hope you find a solution that works. My cheat to transform a soft ski bag into a wheelie bag is to get a plank of ply and attach a skateboard truck and wheels to one end then bungee plank to the bottom of the bag. Skateboard trucks are designed to take the weight and disperse the load and work well on snow/slush BUT are prob more unweildy than the Portaski. If you have access to a boffin try and get them to do a single wheel version which works with ski straps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks RattytheSnowRat, I hopefully only really needed a short term solution until my muscles heal, I pulled the muscles on my other side years ago and know how long they take to mend then need to be careful for a while. It hasn't stopped me skiing though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy