Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski new hampshire in january

Poster: A snowHead
Hello we are a party of 3 goimg skiing in january . We have being skiing 3 times before . Once in andorra then levi in finland in 2011 and 2012 . Theres two of us who are intermiedates well i can ski okay but i use my body to much to parrel turn so im like a low intermediate the other can ski great and we have a begineer . We have a budget of 2500 . We have looked at levi again and it came to 2500 half board with skis and passes included but then i found new hampshire on american ski classic which came to 1185 for accomadation with lift passes and rental for 8 nights then book flights and car extra for 9 nights because i want to stop boston for the last night . The thing whats most expensive is the lift passes is there anywhere cheaper to get them . We have also looked at austria but they work out the same price for a good resort . Any advice on What i should do
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google liftopia for discount passes. There is another site but I can't remember its name right now, I'll post it when I remember it. You often find cheaper passes at american (and canadian) gas (petrol) stations than you do through UK T/Os but of course it can be a gamble and a faff. Keep an eye on Groupon as well, very hit and miss as to what/where is available but its free to join.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The lift passes on American Ski Classics will be competitively priced, we've used them before just to source lift passes.

Liftopia as suggested is another good one if they do multi day passes for that area. Used them before too but only to get a good day rate.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Benefc123, there are some people on this forum with a lot of experience of skiing east coast USA. I'd suggest getting some opinions about it, before making up your mind.

I have no experience but a good friend who went said it was perishingly cold, and very icy. He's no wimp; he is a strong and experienced skier and sails dinghies all winter in the UK!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cold we are not worried about with going skiing in finland the past 2 years at -30
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I live in RI and have skied quite a bit in VT and NH. Certainly not everywhere and I don't know where you'll be staying or where you might be planning to ski. My general thoughts on skiing in New England are that you just don't know what you'll get and that's just the way it is in NE. Year before last we did a 3rd week in March NH trip and had wonderful conditions with virtually all terrain open and fresh snow. I actually didn't pack enough warm clothing because I assumed we'd have some Spring conditions. Last year we were going to go to VT a week earlier in March. I didn't make the trip though my wife went up for a few days. It was in the 70s. You could get great snow, rain, and very cold temps in the same week. That said, we pretty much always do an early January trip to Stowe and we've always had fun. IMO, Bretton Woods is an excellent ski resort for beginners through intermediates. There are easy trails off virtually every lift, the blues ares are mostly nice for early intermediates and the groomed blacks are just right for solid intermediates. There are lots of easy tree runs if the snow is good. And very nice views of Mount Washington. Just down the road is Canon which is a much more challenging mountain. So it really varies depending on where you stay and where you plan to ski. If you give specifics I'll try to provide as much information as I can. I also point you towards http://www.alpinezone.com. It is a NE based skiing site with a discussion forum. There are a lot of strong skiers there who may be biased towards harder mountains. But they will try to answer any questions you might have. You'll need to register but it's just like a smaller, NE, version of Snowheads. Lots of good folks with good local knowledge. Hope you have a great trip and get great conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Benefc123 wrote:
Hello we are a party of 3 goimg skiing in january . We have being skiing 3 times before . Once in andorra then levi in finland in 2011 and 2012 . Theres two of us who are intermiedates well i can ski okay but i use my body to much to parrel turn so im like a low intermediate the other can ski great and we have a begineer . We have a budget of 2500 . We have looked at levi again and it came to 2500 half board with skis and passes included but then i found new hampshire on american ski classic which came to 1185 for accomadation with lift passes and rental for 8 nights then book flights and car extra for 9 nights because i want to stop boston for the last night . The thing whats most expensive is the lift passes is there anywhere cheaper to get them . We have also looked at austria but they work out the same price for a GOOD resort . Any advice on What i should do

What do you consider a "good resort"?

It's really not very easy to compare things without knowing what one is getting for that "same price".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well many off the cheap austrian resorts we found are either to small or stuck out in the sticks with not much apres to do . We did found Hinterglemm for £1750 but by the time you have added skis and passes it comes to the same price as levi and new hampshire . We want half board for europe but america it doesnt matter so much as food is cheap there . I searched hinterglemm on snowheads and a lot of people say its a nice resort which isnt to small like the others like Niederau and
Zell am see
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RISkier wrote:
I live in RI and have skied quite a bit in VT and NH. Certainly not everywhere and I don't know where you'll be staying or where you might be planning to ski. My general thoughts on skiing in New England are that you just don't know what you'll get and that's just the way it is in NE. Year before last we did a 3rd week in March NH trip and had wonderful conditions with virtually all terrain open and fresh snow. I actually didn't pack enough warm clothing because I assumed we'd have some Spring conditions. Last year we were going to go to VT a week earlier in March. I didn't make the trip though my wife went up for a few days. It was in the 70s. You could get great snow, rain, and very cold temps in the same week. That said, we pretty much always do an early January trip to Stowe and we've always had fun. IMO, Bretton Woods is an excellent ski resort for beginners through intermediates. There are easy trails off virtually every lift, the blues ares are mostly nice for early intermediates and the groomed blacks are just right for solid intermediates. There are lots of easy tree runs if the snow is good. And very nice views of Mount Washington. Just down the road is Canon which is a much more challenging mountain. So it really varies depending on where you stay and where you plan to ski. If you give specifics I'll try to provide as much information as I can. I also point you towards http://www.alpinezone.com. It is a NE based skiing site with a discussion forum. There are a lot of strong skiers there who may be biased towards harder mountains. But they will try to answer any questions you might have. You'll need to register but it's just like a smaller, NE, version of Snowheads. Lots of good folks with good local knowledge. Hope you have a great trip and get great conditions.
thanks and we are thinking of going to the white mountains with the 5 mountain pass . The main 3 mountains seem too be loon , cannon and cranmore . Which one would be suited to begineer/ intermiedate
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I act like I know something and well, I've never skied Cranmore or Loon. What other mountains are on the 5 mountain pass? And where are you going to stay? The most likely places to stay would either be near Loon in the Lincoln/Woodstock area, the Conway/North Conway area, or at or near the Mt. Washington Hotel (which would be pricey). Loon, Cannon, and Bretton Woods are on the West side of the White Mountains in the Lincoln/Woodstock area (Loon is right in Lincoln). Cranmore, Attitash, Black Mountain, and Willdcat are further East. The roads between are fine in good weather but can be interesting during winter storms. I've been at Loon though not skied it. Loon has lots of intermediate terrain. It's a real resort and the village offers quite a lot of dining and shopping opportunities. Reputed to have very good snowmaking and grooming. It's also the first resort North of Boston on I93 and is reputed to be extremely busy on weekends and holidays. Mid-week days in January it should not be busy. A bit North of Loon is Cannon. Cannon is a state owned ski area with no real village at the base. Overall it's among the most challenging mountains in NE. It has some nice learning terrain and beginner runs near the bottom in the Tuckerbrook area. There are a couple of relatively easy blue (intermediate trails) but much of the intermediate terrain is considerably steeper than at most other NH resorts. The top of Cannon can also be really cold and often seems to be in a fog. Bode Miller grew up skiing Cannon and it's much loved by lots of skiers. But it's a challenging mountain. I think Bretton Woods is a really great intermediate mountain. It's kind of the opposite of Cannon. Nice green (beginner) trails off of almost every lift and they aren't flat, just not very steep -- great cruising for novices and early intermediates. Most of the blues are also fairly mellow. Except for a couple of short headwalls the groomed blacks are no steeper than the blues at Cannon. It has a pretty extensive trail network. I just think it's a great layout for intermediates and beginners. Another plus for Bretton is that the lifts are pretty sheltered from the wind. It's a good choice on a cold windy day. The big criticism is it's not sufficiently challenging for advanced and expert skiers. On the East side you'd probably be staying somewhere in the Conway/North Conway area. Wildcat is a bit North on Rt. 16. It's kind of reputed to be challenging but I don't think it's really that steep. For a novice there is a green trail from the peak that may be one of the nicest low intermediate trails anywhere. Not really a true beginner trail but great for novices. Wildcat can be very cold, I'd try to pick a bluebird day. Wildcat offers stunning views of Mount Washington. I've never skied Cranmore or Black but both are reputed to be pretty beginner and intermediate friendly. Folks on Alpine Zone would be able to give much better inside information. There's lots of dining and shopping in the North Conway area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't imagine where they'll have you stay! Those 3 you listed are an hr apart from each other even in good weather! If is snows, it'll be 2 hrs each way!!!

Benefc123 wrote:
Well many off the cheap austrian resorts we found are either to small or stuck out in the sticks with not much apres to do .

Well, hate to say this, none of the mountains you listed are big by any standared or any stretch of imagination! And they ARE "stuck out in the sticks with not much apres to do"!

And you'd better be based out of either North Conway or Lincoln (and MAYBE Twin Mountain). Otherwise, you might as well forget about apres!

I've only skied 2 mountains in NH. Bretton Woods and Waterville. Of those 2, Bretton Woods wins hands down for intermediates. It's also the largest of all NH mountains. Does your list include Bretton Woods?

If you fancy a long flight and a visit to Boston, the skiing will be a good enough diversion. (and if you get lucky with condition, even a fantastic one) Just don't set your expectation too high or it's going to be a blood long boring flight home. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RISkier wrote:
I act like I know something and well, I've never skied Cranmore or Loon. What other mountains are on the 5 mountain pass? And where are you going to stay? The most likely places to stay would either be near Loon in the Lincoln/Woodstock area, the Conway/North Conway area, or at or near the Mt. Washington Hotel (which would be pricey). Loon, Cannon, and Bretton Woods are on the West side of the White Mountains in the Lincoln/Woodstock area (Loon is right in Lincoln). Cranmore, Attitash, Black Mountain, and Willdcat are further East. The roads between are fine in good weather but can be interesting during winter storms. I've been at Loon though not skied it. Loon has lots of intermediate terrain. It's a real resort and the village offers quite a lot of dining and shopping opportunities. Reputed to have very good snowmaking and grooming. It's also the first resort North of Boston on I93 and is reputed to be extremely busy on weekends and holidays. Mid-week days in January it should not be busy. A bit North of Loon is Cannon. Cannon is a state owned ski area with no real village at the base. Overall it's among the most challenging mountains in NE. It has some nice learning terrain and beginner runs near the bottom in the Tuckerbrook area. There are a couple of relatively easy blue (intermediate trails) but much of the intermediate terrain is considerably steeper than at most other NH resorts. The top of Cannon can also be really cold and often seems to be in a fog. Bode Miller grew up skiing Cannon and it's much loved by lots of skiers. But it's a challenging mountain. I think Bretton Woods is a really great intermediate mountain. It's kind of the opposite of Cannon. Nice green (beginner) trails off of almost every lift and they aren't flat, just not very steep -- great cruising for novices and early intermediates. Most of the blues are also fairly mellow. Except for a couple of short headwalls the groomed blacks are no steeper than the blues at Cannon. It has a pretty extensive trail network. I just think it's a great layout for intermediates and beginners. Another plus for Bretton is that the lifts are pretty sheltered from the wind. It's a good choice on a cold windy day. The big criticism is it's not sufficiently challenging for advanced and expert skiers. On the East side you'd probably be staying somewhere in the Conway/North Conway area. Wildcat is a bit North on Rt. 16. It's kind of reputed to be challenging but I don't think it's really that steep. For a novice there is a green trail from the peak that may be one of the nicest low intermediate trails anywhere. Not really a true beginner trail but great for novices. Wildcat can be very cold, I'd try to pick a bluebird day. Wildcat offers stunning views of Mount Washington. I've never skied Cranmore or Black but both are reputed to be pretty beginner and intermediate friendly. Folks on Alpine Zone would be able to give much better inside information. There's lots of dining and shopping in the North Conway area.
thanks very much the pass includes waterville valley and bretton woods . By the sound of your post loon or bretton woods would be a good suit . The hotel we are looking at is woodwards resort . Its just off from Lincoln but we might look to stay in lincoln . We are going to hire a car so we can always explore other mountains. I have skied in levi finland and although the runs arnt very long some are steep and narrow . Google it and you will see the main slope . Its pretty steep when up there
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
I can't imagine where they'll have you stay! Those 3 you listed are an hr apart from each other even in good weather! If is snows, it'll be 2 hrs each way!!!

Benefc123 wrote:
Well many off the cheap austrian resorts we found are either to small or stuck out in the sticks with not much apres to do .

Well, hate to say this, none of the mountains you listed are big by any standared or any stretch of imagination! And they ARE "stuck out in the sticks with not much apres to do"!

And you'd better be based out of either North Conway or Lincoln (and MAYBE Twin Mountain). Otherwise, you might as well forget about apres!

I've only skied 2 mountains in NH. Bretton Woods and Waterville. Of those 2, Bretton Woods wins hands down for intermediates. It's also the largest of all NH mountains. Does your list include Bretton Woods?

If you fancy a long flight and a visit to Boston, the skiing will be a good enough diversion. (and if you get lucky with condition, even a fantastic one) Just don't set your expectation too high or it's going to be a blood long boring flight home. wink
what kind off conditions are we talking about Rain? Would you advise me to stay skiing in finland or take the plunge and go to nh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you go all the way to the US, why not go to the West Coast? Never been to either, but lots of people rave about the West and moan about the East! Seems lots of people who live on the East tend to do trips West.

Where are you looking at in Austria? Hinterglemm is excellent for both skiing and apres, btw.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
If you go all the way to the US, why not go to the West Coast? Never been to either, but lots of people rave about the West and moan about the East! Seems lots of people who live on the East tend to do trips West.

Where are you looking at in Austria? Hinterglemm is excellent for both skiing and apres, btw.
its more expensive in the west for flights and lift pass look more expensive . I dont really want to go austria because the weather conditions can be so changabele
snow report
Benefc123 wrote:
what kind off conditions are we talking about Rain? Would you advise me to stay skiing in finland or take the plunge and go to nh

I've never skied at finland so can't advice you on one over the other.

As far as condition goes, NH swings wildly. It could rain and re-freeze into sheet of ice. Or it could be nice lovely fresh snow, natural or man-made. Or anything in between within a week!

When I ski Bretton Woods and Waterville Valley, I stayed at Franconia which happens to be at the base of Cannon. From talking to other guest who did ski Cannon, it's not a mountain for the faint of heart in less than perfect conditions! On the other end of the spectrum, Bretton Woods is a resort I go to when everybody else stays home due to expected bad conditions all over the northeast. So your pass basically covers a good range of possibilities.

Is you pass interchangeable or fixed? In other words, if you find you like BW, can you skip Cranmore and spend the days at BW or are you commited to go to each resort x number of days? From Lincoln, it's not too far to drive to BW or Cannon. Even Waterville is manageable. If it were me, I'm nore sure I'd bother with the long drive to Cranmore, except perhaps to enjoy the drive over the 'Kanc' (Kancamagus highway) if you get a brilliant sunny day. You have plenty of terrain and variety in the 4 (Loon, BW, Cannon, Watervill) within 1/2 hr drive of Lincoln.

The one thing I found NH a bit off-putting is the relentless wind. It blows the fresh snow away, leaves only the hard frozen wet cement underneath. That's apart from the bone numbing wind chill factor when add to -10C temperature. That's why Bretton Woods is such a magnet. It's in the wind shadow of the Mt. Washington. As a result, the snow keeps better and the lift ride more comfortable. So if your pass has un-limited days on BW, I would strongly advice you sample it early enough in your stay so you can go back if you do find yourself enjoy it. I think you will. It's what a "intermediate mountain" should be defined: easy terrain for beginner to progress on up to early advance level, excellent grooming to add to it. And if you have kids in your party, they'll have a blast in the widely spaced trees. Even adults will become kids in those kiddie sized "forest"!

Waterville, while not my favorate, has runs facing different directions which makes it more interesting. So it skis bigger than it look. (it's a decent sized mountain by northeast standard)

There're some nice resturants in Lincoln/Woodstock area, also at Franconia (bottom of Cannon) and Twin Mountain (base of Bretton Woods). Barring prolong bad conditions (always a wild card), you should find it an enjoyable area.
snow report
Benefc123 wrote:
I dont really want to go austria because the weather conditions can be so changabele

If you're worried about changeable condition in Austria, I'm pretty sure NH is no better.

NH can be a lot of good things. But consistantly good skiing weather isn't one of them!
ski holidays
Benefc123, Can I ask where you are based?

New Hampshire is a long flight and transfer away from Europe for what would seem to me to be some pretty sketchy skiing compared to what you would reasonably find in France, Austria or Italy, and I have no doubt you'd find skiing in France Austria or Italy significantly cheaper (and probably with better food and wine).

Bretton Woods has what, 8 chairlifts with a summit at 907m?

It's tiny!
ski holidays
Benefc123 wrote:
I dont really want to go austria because the weather conditions can be so changabele

Sorry, what?!
latest report
clarky999, Laughing
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

I've never skied at finland so can't advice you on one over the other.

As far as condition goes, NH swings wildly. It could rain and re-freeze into sheet of ice. Or it could be nice lovely fresh snow, natural or man-made. Or anything in between within a week!

When I ski Bretton Woods and Waterville Valley, I stayed at Franconia which happens to be at the base of Cannon. From talking to other guest who did ski Cannon, it's not a mountain for the faint of heart in less than perfect conditions! On the other end of the spectrum, Bretton Woods is a resort I go to when everybody else stays home due to expected bad conditions all over the northeast. So your pass basically covers a good range of possibilities.

Is you pass interchangeable or fixed? In other words, if you find you like BW, can you skip Cranmore and spend the days at BW or are you commited to go to each resort x number of days? From Lincoln, it's not too far to drive to BW or Cannon. Even Waterville is manageable. If it were me, I'm nore sure I'd bother with the long drive to Cranmore, except perhaps to enjoy the drive over the 'Kanc' (Kancamagus highway) if you get a brilliant sunny day. You have plenty of terrain and variety in the 4 (Loon, BW, Cannon, Watervill) within 1/2 hr drive of Lincoln.

The one thing I found NH a bit off-putting is the relentless wind. It blows the fresh snow away, leaves only the hard frozen wet cement underneath. That's apart from the bone numbing wind chill factor when add to -10C temperature. That's why Bretton Woods is such a magnet. It's in the wind shadow of the Mt. Washington. As a result, the snow keeps better and the lift ride more comfortable. So if your pass has un-limited days on BW, I would strongly advice you sample it early enough in your stay so you can go back if you do find yourself enjoy it. I think you will. It's what a "intermediate mountain" should be defined: easy terrain for beginner to progress on up to early advance level, excellent grooming to add to it. And if you have kids in your party, they'll have a blast in the widely spaced trees. Even adults will become kids in those kiddie sized "forest"!

Waterville, while not my favorate, has runs facing different directions which makes it more interesting. So it skis bigger than it look. (it's a decent sized mountain by northeast standard)

There're some nice resturants in Lincoln/Woodstock area, also at Franconia (bottom of Cannon) and Twin Mountain (base of Bretton Woods). Barring prolong bad conditions (always a wild card), you should find it an enjoyable area.
The pass can be used on any days so u can go to loon one day then bretton woods the next and the back to loon . I have skied in finland and what i ment was should i stay to what i know and go back to the same resort as i normally do or go to new hampshire . Last year was freezing in finland . -32 an alot of the slope was ice which is horrible but i have skied on it before
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

If you're worried about changeable condition in Austria, I'm pretty sure NH is no better.

NH can be a lot of good things. But consistantly good skiing weather isn't one of them!
im from the uk and what i mean is they alps because there are quite far south there could be green at th base if the mountain so you have to find a high alitude resort which can be expensive
snow report
Sorry for the spelling mistakes im typing on a iphone
ski holidays
Benefc123 wrote:
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

im from the uk and what i mean is they alps because there are quite far south there could be green at th base if the mountain so you have to find a high alitude resort which can be expensive

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, but that's just hilarious!

The Antarctic is also quite far South...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

Didnt ask for sarcasm from what i have read the alps snow can melt quick and sometimes the temperture is to hot for snow so you have to go to a high altitude resort which will probarly be busy which we dont like . If you dont have anything useful to say then dont comment at all . Im pretty inexpeirenced with skiing as i have only been 3 times
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

Benefc123, I'd put it a bit more gently than clarky but I'm afraid your reasoning is rather faulty.

It's rare the bases in most NH mountains will NOT be green!

The saving grace is most mountains have extensive snow making to cover the runs. They can't afford not to. There wouldn't be much skiing in many years if they don't.
latest report
abc wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

Benefc123, I'd put it a bit more gently than clarky but I'm afraid your reasoning is rather faulty.

It's rare the bases in most NH mountains will NOT be green!

The saving grace is most mountains have extensive snow making to cover the runs. They can't afford not to. There wouldn't be much skiing in many years if they don't.
well i like long tree lined runs which you get in finland but they look a lot bigger than the ones in finland where as in the alps you are most likely skiiing on a big rock . The alps get pretty crowded which i dont like . Iv always wanted to go to ski in america or canada and with the added boston trip it feels more like a holiday than just a ski trip . This is january we are talking about which is in mid winter so i would off though it would be snowy but hey i dont live there so i wouldnt know . All im asking is if new hampshire is worth going or should i stick to were i normally ski . What about stowe if i can bargain around i could go there but if not i will stay in europe
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, what?!

Massive +1 for Clarky999!

I spent 2.5 years years living in South Germany and skiied most winter weekends during my time there, usually in Austria (though occasionally also in Germany and Switzerland). I am totally perplexed by your statement, as it is completely at odds with my experiences over 3 seasons.

I've also skied twice in Vermont (where I was primarily visiting a friend, with skiing as a bonus). My experience there was ice, rain, and a vicious biting wind, a level of which I've never experienced skiing in Europe.

If it's Finland vs East Coast USA I guess I'd stick with Finland (though I haven't skied there) - to my mind East Coast USA skiing is for locals, or a trip combined with something else, not for a 'ski' trip from the UK. I'm also very suprised that the US is coming up cheaper than the Austria.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
There're some nice resturants in Lincoln/Woodstock area....

There certainly are - I'd particularly recommend Peg's Restaurant in Woodstock for great breakfasts!

Oh and Benefc123 having skied in New Hampshire and many places in Austria I would say that your comment about "changeable conditions" in Austria is very odd - the weather in Austria is no more changeable than in the rest of the Alpine countries or for that matter New Hampshire.

Edit: If you are wanting to do a combined siteseeing and ski holiday, then a trip to Boston with some time skiing in the White Mountains of New Hampshire is very pleasant - in fact I did exactly that a few years ago. I would also recommend the Lincoln/Woodstock area as a base - I stayed at Parker's Motel which was good.

However, if you are primarily after a ski holiday, then especially in January there is absolutely no reason to expect any of the Austrian resorts to be short of snow.
snow report
Okay thanks
latest report
annaski wrote:
I'm also very suprised that the US is coming up cheaper than the Austria.

January is low season in NH. They have to fill the hotel rooms somehow. Flights are surprisingly cheap in mid-winter. When I cross the pond to join snowhead bashes, the most frequent question I got asked was "how much is the transatlantic flight?". Well, it can be had for surprisingly affordable sum!

Benefc123 wrote:
well i like long tree lined runs which you get in finland but they look a lot bigger than the ones in finland where as in the alps you are most likely skiiing on a big rock . The alps get pretty crowded which i dont like . Iv always wanted to go to ski in america or canada and with the added boston trip it feels more like a holiday than just a ski trip . This is january we are talking about which is in mid winter so i would off though it would be snowy but hey i dont live there so i wouldnt know . All im asking is if new hampshire is worth going or should i stick to were i normally ski .

Put that way, NH can be nice suitable destination.

There're many other good points about NH: native English speaking instructors, off-piste instruction aimed at intermediates, spacious lodging, inexpensive food and drink. Also in the area, there're some non-skiing diversion you can do on a day off the mountain.

But weather-wise, it's definitely NOT in NH's favor.

Quote:
What about stowe if i can bargain around i could go there
I don't think Stowe is particularly better.
snow report
Okay just looking at the west coast . The ski lift passes seem to be more expensive than the east And flights . Maybe europe is the answer
latest report
Benefc123 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:
abc wrote:
Benefc123 wrote:

Didnt ask for sarcasm from what i have read the alps snow can melt quick and sometimes the temperture is to hot for snow so you have to go to a high altitude resort which will probarly be busy which we dont like . If you dont have anything useful to say then dont comment at all . Im pretty inexpeirenced with skiing as i have only been 3 times

Sorry, just a bit shocked! I'm guessing you've never been to the Alps before? In all but the most freakish of conditions (which in many years of skiing I've never come across, other than November at the Stubai) you'll be able to ski down to the village until at least the end of March.

Yo don't neccessarily need to go to a high altitude place, depending on where you go. Western Alps you generally need to go higher than in the East, due to the proximity of the ocean (has a warming effect), but you should still expect to be able to ski to the village anywhere, all winter long. Snow on the ground in the village can't always be guaranteed, and sometimes temperatures can rise - but it takes a long time for lots of snow to melt (usually longer than the high temps stick around for), and warmer/softer/slushier snow is actually really fun anyway.

I'm not saying you necessarily SHOULD go to the Alps in general/Austria in particular - but weather/snow conditions is definitely NOT a good reason to write them off!!

EDIT: if you want some culture/non-skiing stuff too, consider days in Innsbruck or Salzburg in Austria, Milan or Venice in Italy, Zurich or Geneva in Switzerland - presumably there are similar options in France too.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-11-12 21:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Benefc123 - I hadn't seen your comment about wanting a holiday that was part ski part visiting Boston when I wrote my response. On that basis, and as abc says, NH could be a good choice for you. That's the basis that I have skied East Coast USA, and I would happily do so again if the situation arose. I just wouldn't go there for a holiday purely aimed at skiing though.
snow report
Thanks people . We are not the kind of people who are hardcore skiers . If that was the case then it would be easier to go to the alps because there are many mountains that can be linked and most of the time you are on an area pass . Thats why we like finland so much as there always something to do than ski you can from snowmobiling to dog sledding
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy