Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goretex washing / re waterproofing

Poster: A snowHead
My goretex trousers and jacket are getting a bit grubby now after a few years use and I want to give them a good wash, and re-waterproof... Shocked

So, I've bought this washing solution from Milletts that they recommended, but now I've got it home I've noticed it says

'waterfproofing for wet weather clothing ( without wicking/absorbent liners)... Confused

It also say recommended for goretex, so I'm a bit worried...

Both my jacket and trosuers have a fleece like lining built in that I cant remove....

Does anyone know if its safe to use this stuff on my clothes, or will it shrink / eat the fleecy linings ! Puzzled

Its actually called.. 'Nikwax, TX Direct Wash in'
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I bought my shell jacket, I was advised to wash it in soapflakes (iirc - was a long time ago), and then dry in a tumble dryer on low heat. This would rejuvenate the water shedding properties of the outer shell, and that no solutions should be necessary.
NB this is only an outer shell... Nylon, Goretex and mesh liner, so no fleece or other insulation.
Waterproofing solution on fleece? no idea what that would do. Doubt it would eat/shrink/rot it, but may affect the wicking properties.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toby wright, It's actually a re-proofer, you need Tech-Wash to clean your jacket. The TX-Direct will waterproof it. I've used both products for years, they don't harm your clothes. You may find that all you need to do is wash them.........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As ski, says you need to use the tech wash first, the wash in reproofer seems to work much better than the spray on version
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cheers guys Smile

I've actually already washed my jacket once before... with soap powder.. made it nice and clean, but it definately reduced the waterproofness last season.. doh !

So I wanted to get it right this time.... off to get a bottle of the tech-wash too then... Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
toby wright, and dry it warm, either in a tumble dryer or next to a radiator.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cathy Coins, why warm?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, explanation here (about halfway down). I had to go and look it up cos I didn't know exactly why wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of handy info about Nikwax in that link as well
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your garment is real Goretex, you can wash it as per the instructions on the label with a non-biological detergent. Goretex specifically say that no other treatment is necessary as it is a laminate and not a coating.

I wash my ski gear after every trip, and have no problem with loss of waterproofness (is that a word?) at all. Regular washing improves the breathability of the garment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just done my old jacket with 'Tech wash' and then a spray with 'TX direct' , hopefully that should improve it . Iwas led to believe the the tech wash in wasn't as good as the spray because it coats the inside of the fabric, reducing its breathability ie making it water repellent on the inside
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ive used gortex for years and like the doc say its a laminate.

the actual membrane looks like ptfe tape you put on your radiator pipe joints to stop them leaking.

The water repellencey does get washed away after several washes and has to be re treated to make it hydrophobic again... i.e. make the water form droplets and roll off. It he material gets soaked it cant breath.

As an example of this my riot overalls are made from gortex and can only be washed a max of 24 times before it has to be sent back for reproofing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Royal, I thought you had them put down. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, oh well, i should have taken the time to read your link as i now have. it turns out i'm talking b*ll*ks again rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, I thought that was the case with real Goretex too, as long as you don't use fabric conditioner I think.
latest report
Royal,
Quote:

riot overalls

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Royal, I think, what you quaintly term 'Riot overalls' are sent back to have their flame-retardency replaced as washing reduces the level of flame re-tardent in the cloth.
This has the dual effect of liquid re-pellent. We don't want the petrol from petrol bombs leaking through and igniting on your flesh. Or on the other hand maybe they are just waterproof overalls.......ooh errr!
latest report
boredsurfin, it does both so im told !

ps ive not found a suitable home for the dogs just yet.... any takers ?
ski holidays
conor....

snow report
Royal, Obviously not police - I don't think they getted kitted out in genuine Goretex surely.
snow report
Royal, Several of what you term Senior Colleagues visit this site, I am sure they will find the old pic above of interest wink

as for the dogs go to user facilities profile etc, But I know you know that Toofy Grin
snow conditions
what makes you think they are senior to me?.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy