Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre; any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Chalet de Dolines in March, near the Chalvet telecabin. Any tips for good/bad lifts, nice red runs and access, eating out etc. Also plan a day in Serre Chevalier, so best place to set off from there. Dont like crowds. Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat, nearest place to set off from in Serre Che would be the Prorel gondola in Briancon.
]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, enjoy, you'll have a great time!

We went last april, most of the south facing side was closed, but there was a lovely long blue run down from the top of the Serre Thibauld lift. Also a lovely red from the top of Rocher De L'aigle.

Most lifts are now 4 man, pretty quick, very few drags.

Places to eat, we had lunch a few days in a cheap bar on the front called Rois Mages (I think!), decent grub, cheap prices, nice views.
There's also a nice italian on the front too, for evening meals out, can't recall the name, anyone help me?!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cstreat - The south facing slopes are usually ok in March (were not good last April as it was unusually hot). 2/3 of the slopes are north facing and usually have very good cover.

My favourite runs are the same as those mentioned by jellemr. The blue Pharoh from the top of Serre Thibaud is a nice cruisey blue. I also like the longish red from the top of Roche D'Aigle. You should also try the red Prarial run back to the resort - I really enjoyed that one too. The runs in the Gondrans area are fairly easy but you can find a few challenges by veering off piste along a gulley round trees etc!. There is a fun park in the Gondrans with a small half pipe.

It is definitely worth skiing over to Claviere at least once. There are some nice tree lined reds there.

The cafe in the Gondrons area is nice for lunch.

There is a nice shop near your apartments which is better than your average resort supermarket - has a cold meat and cheese counter. You can order fondue cheese there and they also do take away pizzas and hot chickens. Le Jammy is nice for a meal out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cstreat, I've only been to Serre Che once, but when I was there the snow above Briancon seemed noticably poorer than that above the other bases. If you want a nice cruisey red/blue the Cucamelle run is one to try - it was really nice and quiet and just, well, nice really.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fantastic advice, as always. Thanks. Keep it coming.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it can be good to start in briancon, make your way to monetier and if you dont manage to get back you can just get the ski bus (free). i find the way the lifts are make it quicker to do that direction than go monetier to briancon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To add to the good advice above, I recommend the mountain restaurants on the Italian side above Claviere. There are 7 or 8 to Montgenevre's 2, so more choice and a cosier atmosphere. My favourite is the Gimont. Skiing through the Chalets in Sagna Longa is fantastic. If on the montgenevre side, it is very easy to ski back to the village for lunch.

In Montgenevre the Petit Creux and the chalmettes are 2 favourites for lunch, as is the Ubiquitous Graal.
Evenings in the Hameaux, the choice is more restricted, The Tante Claire is supposed to be very good. You can also patronise the lovely bar and restaurant at the Anova hotel. In town, (working west to east) we like La Cloche, L'estable, The Jamy, The Refuge, Le Capitaine.

Depending on the week you are going in March, Serre Chevalier will be noticeably busier than the Milky Way (Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx and Sansicarrio) as it will be French half term until the 16th. Also best to check the snow conditions at the time, and then decide, there can be quite a difference in snow quality and depth, depending on the prevailing winds.

Have a great time, and maybe see you on the slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent info; thanks. volfy, we arrive on the 16th; I`m never going to do school holidays again, now my 2 kids are on school trips. I am hoping to get some lessons with a particular instructor in SC.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have holidayed there myself at Chalet des Dolines with the family during the Easter holidays and it's a great accommodation and wasn't busy (it was in April season before last). The new lift next to the residence wasn't built yet but from what I heard quite a few people still like to set-off from the bidge next to Hameau des Airelles residence in the morning. It's a short walk from where you are staying but then it allows you to start skiing on the other side.
I would followHells Bells advise and start from the Prorel lift in Briancon for Serre Che. You can drive there in less than 15 minutes (ok depending on how you drive...).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentioned above, the snow at the Briancon end of Serre Che can be the weakest, as it gets the sun so much! I'd suggest a little more of a drive and kick off from Chantemerle instead. More reliable snow conditions above Serre Ratier than above Briancon. A great day's skiing can be had doing an up and down along the valley to Monetier and back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On balance, Carlos the Slackal's, advice is good IMHO. I'd recommend setting out relatively early too - there is parking in central Chantemerle, but it is limited. Missing a spot there means using the car park at the further most end of the village and a bit of a hike back (maybe 8 minute walk - not a killer, but for the sake of setting out earlier and the convenience, I know what I'd do).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

On balance, Carlos the Slackal's, advice is good IMHO.

Quoted for posterity. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi cstreat, it may not tell you much that you don't know already but I've put a few of my trip reports together on a little website.... We visited Monte and did a day in Serre Che back in 2011. My report is here: http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011/ and a few photos are here http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011-2/

Like I say, my 'blog' (or whatever it is) is work in progress so please bear that in mind! I hope it's some help.... Have a great trip. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cstreat wrote:
Excellent info; thanks. volfy, we arrive on the 16th; I`m never going to do school holidays again, now my 2 kids are on school trips. I am hoping to get some lessons with a particular instructor in SC.

If you are intending to have a lesson with a particular instructor, you need to find out where they will let you start your lesson, as they tend to start from a fixed point unless you arrange it, and they have no other commitments already in place.
snow conditions
orangekss wrote:
Hi cstreat, it may not tell you much that you don't know already but I've put a few of my trip reports together on a little website.... We visited Monte and did a day in Serre Che back in 2011. My report is here: http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011/ and a few photos are here http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011-2/

Like I say, my 'blog' (or whatever it is) is work in progress so please bear that in mind! I hope it's some help.... Have a great trip. Very Happy

fantastic review and photos, thanks for posting!!
We're going back for a 2nd time in Jan, can't wait!!!
snow conditions
orangekss, Thanks for that; bizarrely I have already read your report somewhere else.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy