Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Chalet recommendations for Ischgl, Saalbach or similar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend accommodation in Austria for a party of 8 (possibly 9), for the week starting 09/10 March? Ideally looking for a resort with good piste skiing for intermediate skiers and a lively nightlife. I've been checking the usual places but would prefer to arrange everything separately as people in the group will be travelling from different airports. Not fussed about catered but would be a bonus.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll have more luck looking for hotels than chalets, but either of those resorts would be great for your group. Just google 'hotels in x' or search the hotels on the resorts' website/tourist information website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, but the OP's group is presumably wanting to have its own place? Surely there are places which would be suitable?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, possibly, but I don't think chalets are really the norm in Austria - it's been awhile since I've done a 'holiday' here though so could be wrong. I know there are some in St Anton, but I think most of them still tend to have more than 8 guests per chalet.

Is there much advantage of a small chalet over a larger one/hotel?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, That's my experience too, having recently booked accommodation in Ischgl (but also looked in St Anton, Stuben and Galtur).

Most catered accommodation is either in fancy hotels (think ££££££££), the Austrian equivalent of "chalet hotels", or pensions (though there's not much difference between the last 2 as far as I could tell? Hotels often do half board, and pensions are mostly B&B I think, and perhaps a bit more basic).

The main advantage for me of a smaller place is the ability to have it to yourselves, or at least with only a few other groups/couples, and also that smaller places don't tend to have their own bars. This might be a disadvantage for some, but personally I would rather walk a little way down the road to a bar, and then leave the noise behind when I leave. But then again, I'll take whatever is available, and in Ischgl it's not small chalets!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
justatheory,
Try the tourist office website for accommodation, you should be able to get an appartment for eight. I have been going regularly to Ischgl with a couple of families self catering but we stay down the road at Kappl as it is cheaper but where we go would nto be suitable for lovers of nightlife. Very quiet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could try these, exactly the right size. Not stayed there myself bit drink a lot in the bar below owned by the same family. Pictures look good and the bar's great and cheap by Ischgl's standards. The owners Stefan and Bianca are a lovely couple. Its conveniently situated in the middle of Ischgl right by the church.

http://www.kirchwirt-ischgl.at/uk/index.htm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers guys
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justatheory, have a look at this http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1 Stayed here a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent. Ok it's Kappl, not Ischgl, but only €50 a night db&b and right on the piste - the food was excellent too. Only a 5-10 min taxi ride to Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
justatheory, Let me know if your concept of 'chalet' extends to a, centrally located, ski-in ski-out apartment a stone's throw from innumerable good, inexpensive eating houses in the village of Saalbach (including Bobby's Pub, where you can get a perfectly adequate to good evening dish of the day for between 6 and 8 euros).

Otherwise, if you're set on the conventional catered chalet type thing, you've got Neilson's Chalet Juliane, Ski Miquel's Chalet Christina, and the UK owned/independent Pension Enzian, Mikaelalodge and Pension Penhab.

A recommended, relatively inexpensive 3 star hotel (right next to one of the main lift stations) is Hotel Peter (run by our local magician).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only British TO I have found with "catered chalets" in Ischgl is Ski Total.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy