Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best free Andriod app to track ski distance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi whats the

best free Android app to track ski distance , preferable one that shows lifts traveled distances separately

Used Google mytracks last year, but it totaled your distance , so included lifts and descents

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used Alpine Replay with some success. It can differentiate lifts from descents, and if in a resort that has sufficient map data for it will record which lifts etc you've used but none of the resorts I've been in have met this criteria (I think it mainly supports American ones). One annoyance is that it uses the resort that you're closest to, so when skiing on the glacier in Val d'Isere for example it thinks you're in Bonneval sur Arc as that town is closer. It is smarter than most at determining your speed (it applies some sanity to avoid acceleration at greater than freefall etc and so gets rid of bogus outliers caused by GPS readings in the wrong place).

I'd be interested to hear what others recommend though as although Alpine Replay was good enough I'm sure it could be done better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just got Alpine relay in prep for my Jan trip. So I'm interested to see if there is a better one as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dublin2, theres plenty out there, I tried about half a dozen different ones last season. The two I found the best were MyTracks, which is really simple and straightforward to use, and Endomondo Pro which has more features and stats, but you do have to pay a pound or so for.

The new helmet camera has GPS built in this year, will have to see how that works...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[Axsman mode] iPhone [/Axman]

it just works
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
for anyone that's used one of these apps, does the battery last the day in the cold???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for endomondo. didn't bother with the pro part. I thought the free app was fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Didn't have a battery problem. Phone (Galaxy S2) was in a case but in an exterior jacket pocket. Battery was fine on the apps I tested (though some drain more juice than others) never ran out on mountain, though normally recharged fully overnight.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, thats pretty impressive, my S2 doesnt last a work day, but I guess if I turned off all data/bltooth/wifi it would be ok...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found that any GPS app killed my battery in my HTC desire after a couple of hours. It couldnt even retain a charge running co pilot nav when plugged into a car charger.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the subject of Batteries, try llama app, location aware app,

based on your cell towers, u tell LLama where you are, in hotel for example, you then get LLama to perform certain actions, ie turn wifi on, and gps off

when you leave hotel , llam can turn gps on, and wifi off

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use it at home, work to

when at home Wifi on, volume normal
when i leave home, it turns wi fi off

when i enter work it automates :
vol down, vibrate on,
when leaving , vol up
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes. I should caviat that. No bluetooth running, no Wifi running, disabled data services (i'm not made of money). GPS on, no other apps running, Phone was pretty new too. Will rummage up some power usage stats if I can find them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MyTracks and Endomondo don't differentiate between lifts and descents. E.g.:

https://getsatisfaction.com/endomondo/topics/downhill_skiing_mode

In terms of battery life I've not had a problem using Alpine Replay all day, and while I probably didn't have bluetooth and wifi on the biggest consumer of power - the phone's communication with base stations to make/receive calls etc - would have been active. So if you do have a problem with the battery lasting and don't need to make or receive calls just put it into airplane mode and then turn GPS back on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for MyTracks on a Galaxy S2.

With Wi-Fi, BT and data services switched off I kept the phone in my inside chest pocket the GPS worked great and lasted all day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy