Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy's first races since leg break

Poster: A snowHead
Good to see Chemmy back racing. Just competed in 2 x FIS Super G's at Copper mountain in Colorado. Finished 8th & 9th but was beaten only by other World Cup racers. Not too far off them though.
http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&raceid=74416
http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&raceid=74415

She has definitly proven her "race robustness" very quickly to the New performance director of BSS. He actually said this in an email to her and sent her some great rugby exercises to do to get her fitness back. The rest of the Canadian team laughed at them when she showed them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plugboy,

I could suggest some great rugby exercises, not sure they would do her skiing much good though wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the word 'plucky' was invented for Chemmy. Really brave girl and so hard-working in pursuit of her goal. Respect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope if on Atomic that she has some good training runs to acclimatise from the Volkls of old which suited her even if the company didn't.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, I think it's amazing getting top 10 in any sort of top-level event, let alone being the first race back after a potentially career ending injury. Here's hoping she can keep on improving during the season and get a podium or even a win!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes... fantastic comeback. Not far off the winners time. She also beat some good racers. I really do hope she does well this season. You get the feeling that when her back's to the wall, she does better. One of the Canadian coaches told me she is one of the most hard working and focussed Racers he's ever met.

The statement by Plugboy, about the BSS Rugby exercises makes me cringe. How embarrasing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
depends what the exercises were to be fair, not fair to judge without knowing what was involved, but hey that never stopped anyone...... rolling eyes

Personally im all for the revolution!!! why dont we start a parallell body to oversee development and entry of ski racing, im sure we could do better than the current setup which at the moment is not going to get sport england support especially if SSS wont sign up!!! come on whos in??????? Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
me,

not that I really add much but would be up for being involved in the senior ladies training and development programme.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and well done Chemmy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
iskar wrote:
Personally im all for the revolution!!! why dont we start a parallell body to oversee development and entry of ski racing, im sure we could do better than the current setup which at the moment is not going to get sport england support especially if SSS wont sign up!!! come on whos in?

What is your new governing body going to do that is different ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As the saying goes "follow the money", or in this case lack of it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plugboy, I noticed TJ and Dougie both competed at Copper Mountain too. TJ got in some solid results. How did Dougie 'Fall over?' Shocked Confused Quiet a few not finishing as well... Anything to report?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We'll be at Women's downhill at LL as well as Men's. Hopefully we'll see her in action there (and the guys).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All credit to her for returning after such an injury.

Hope things go well for her really.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good to see TJ finish 28th from bib 40 in the SG yesterday.

Looking at the reults over the week, the speed boys had mixed fortunes.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&raceid=74422
latest report
Quote:

the New performance director of BSS. He actually said this in an email to her and sent her some great rugby exercises to do to get her fitness back.

It's a shame he doesn't seem to have any faith in the rest of Uk alpine skiing.
latest report
So Chemmy did a training run today on the very Lake Louise DH course where she so badly broke her leg two years ago - the first time she has skied it since. Unsurprisingly it sounds like she didn't give it the beans, coming in 48th out of the 55 starters and over 6 seconds behind Lindsey Vonn's time. But this is only a training run and big respect to her for getting back on the horse at all never mind slaying the odd dragon.

Her FB message:

Quote:
What an insanely MOMENTOUS day!

Because I am not a 'thinker' I tried to just let it happen - to ignore how mentally tough it was going to be for me to ski my first DH run on the very run that I crashed on 2 years ago. What I achieved (and
don't get me wrong I wasn't fast - I was in fact very very slow) only hit me 20 minutes after my run as I sat on the loo and read a text from my good friend Nick Fellows and that is when the waterworks started!

I hope Nick doesn't mind but it was such a thoughtful text I want to share it "Chemmy... Welldone.. Respect beyond belief... To go back to the nightmare and lay the ghost to rest is an achievement beyond belief.. Walk with your head held high..."

Larisa Yurkiw (one of the few who get what i went through today not only as my teammate but someone who overcame a horrific injury herself) and i just chatted and she said something really touching - some people go their whole lives without pushing themselves into the unknown... Whatever happens now this season, whatever happens from this day forward, I did that today - I pushed myself totally out of my comfort zone (and that is an expression far too widely used but not for me today!)

Right now time for the tears of relief to stop and the preparation for tomorrow and a different mindset.

Big love everyone xxxx
ski holidays
Good for her. It'd be good if those in the know on here could maintain an update on chemmy's, and brit skiers in general, progress over the season. Maybe a dedicated thread?
snow conditions
So did Nick Fellows make her cry or start to pee Shocked Embarassed Razz

Total respect to her... Can still see her making top 30 in the actual race. Cool
ski holidays
Next training runs start at around 19:30 CET today and can be followed (timings wise at least) from here :- http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/live-timing/alpineskiing.html
snow conditions
Chemmy's training run is in 4 racers time. It's on live timing.
snow report
37th (start number 43) only 3.51 off the lead this time. She hit 128.5 kmh.
snow report
Bode Swiller, ansta1, Thanks for that, interesting (and strangely nail biting) to watch the figures coming up live. She did good.
snow conditions
Looks like ice dancing taken it's toll
ski holidays
Cynic, What are you on about? Her leg break was that bad she was actually lucking to be walking properly again let alone skiing World Cup Downhill. She has missed 2 complete years of competative skiing, it takes a while to come back. She is the best women we have ever had.
Ice dancing probably helped her especially with her confidence.
ski holidays
Quote:

I pushed myself totally out of my comfort zone (and that is an expression far too widely used but not for me today!)

indeed. We tend to use that expression far too readily, about something just a wee bit different or new. Reminds me, I am going to bed shortly and forgot to put my electric blanket on. Help! Nightmare, or what??? rolling eyes

Very brave woman. I hope she does well.
latest report
Are there two downhills at Lake Louise?

It looks like there's one on Friday and then one on Saturday?

Why is that then?

Think Chemmy is very brave. Also John Kucera who also broke his leg very severely at lake Louise.
snow conditions
gryphea,There is normally a double DH at LL for the women with a SG too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea wrote:
Also John Kucera who also broke his leg very severely at lake Louise.

Really good to see him racing again last weekend.

Finger crossed for Chemmy - whatever the result, immense courage and respect.
snow conditions
Plugboy, to be completely fair and I appreciate she's probably somewhat before your time but I think the best English Lady Skier we ever had was probably Divina Galicia, 3 Winter Olympics managing a creditable top 10 finish in GS and 2 world cup podiums taking 3rds in downhills at Badgastein and Chamonix in 1968, she even returned and competed in the speed skiing in 1992 !

I only know about here because my parents knew her, somewhere around I think I still have a pic of her and my father skiing together probably taken in the early to mid 60's
snow report
Quote:

Divina Galicia

Think she also tried out for F1 as well. Definitely a speed freak Toofy Grin

Sorry major thread drift Smile
snow conditions
one thing to note

looking back on here results at ll

2004- 31
2004- 29
2005- 25
2005- 43
2006- 13
2006- 13
2007- 28
2009- 33
2009- 25
snow report
Anyone know whether Chemmy has a ski tec this season, or is she having to do her own skis?
ski holidays
I'll ask her.. back in a bit.......Happy
snow report
Today's training run... 36th, with just a few more to run. Less gap to the leader as well, around 3 secs. A top 30 in the proper race tomorrow would be nice at this stage.
ski holidays
I've been following her times too.

As i said earlier... I reckon she'll crack top 30 in the actual races.

Would love to know whether she would be faster with a top ski tec though.

How much is it her... or how much is it the skis...?
snow report
and she nets a new sponsor today:

Quote:
Caxton FX launches sponsorship with British skier Chemmy Alcott

Caxton FX, a London-based currency company is delighted to announce Chemmy Alcott as its brand ambassador, today, 29th November 2012. As part of the sponsorship deal, Caxton FX will be Chemmy Alcott’s official currency exchange sponsor for the 2013 and 2014 winter sports seasons.

Having been ranked 8th in the world – the UK’s most successful ever winter athlete – Chemmy, is famed for her determination and commitment to excellence. Chemmy had an injury set back in 2010 on the slopes of Lake Louise and the relationship with Caxton FX comes as Chemmy returns to Canada, the scene of her crash, ahead of the 2013 World Cup season.

James Hickman, Managing Director of Caxton FX, said: “We are extremely excited by this initiative and we’re very much looking forward to working closely with such a dynamic, ambitious and multi-talented British skier.”

“As a British brand we are 100% behind one of the best British skiers in her pursuit of a victory, in gold, in the Sochi Winter Olympic Games in 2014.”

Chemmy will be supporting the growth of Caxton FX’s prepaid currency cards and online payments service, FastPay. She will also be involved with several new initiatives and products as Caxton FX supports her, ahead of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

James Hickman added: “As the highest ever ranked British female skier, Chemmy is a great fit for Caxton FX. We pride ourselves on consistently topping the FX comparison tables and offering an excellent value for money, currency service.”
snow conditions
Good result...

Nice pic from today also... http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/photos/alcott-britain-takes-air-past-gate-during-alpine-photo-210800579.html
snow report
Today's DH... she is start number 42 so might (some hope) just squeeze into the Eurosport coverage... live from 19:30 UK time http://live.fisski.com/live5199.htm

She's chilled. Watch her fly (hopefully!)
latest report
Great run from Chemmy. She's 24th at the moment in shite conditions.

Big grin and punch in the air on finishing. Fair play to her.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy