Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Schools - Alpe d'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Off to AdH for a week in January and looking for some school recommendations.

It seems that there are four - ESF, Stance, Masterclass and ESI/International Ski School. No overwhelming reviews of any of them that I can find so wondering if anyone had any recent experience?

I had an excellent week's off piste introduction course a couple of years ago with New Generation so looking for something similar if possible.

If all else fails it'll be ESF and fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ESI are generally more customer focused than ESF, much smaller group of like minded instructors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had lessons (twice) with Mel from Masterclass and thought he was excellent. Feedback was direct, accurate and above all helpful. Certainly moved from the plateau on which I had become well and truly stuck.

I learnt more from him in two hour private lesson than I did in three days of small group lessons in Vail. I'd go back in a shot if I were returning to AdH.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was quite happy with ESF (despite all the recent bad publicity) when I was there. They had a little party on the side of the mountain with wine and cheese for all their classes which was nice too. I ski much better after a glass of wine!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone recommend particular individuals from any of the ski schools apart from Masterclass please.. I just want someone for an hour initially at beginning of week just to get dialled in and then if conditions are right go for a rip with later in the week.

Also need someone for my other half, she is going to try skiing again after a few years, this will be her second time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guernseyfreerider, Olly from Stance is a good guy and a bit more freeride orientated. Masterclass would be good for your other half - getting nervous intermediates off the plateau is one of their specialities
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, Cheers I had thought Olly might be a possible, if it's the same guy I'm thinking of he worked at Masterclass about 9/10 years ago first time I went to ADH
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, Have you used ESI recently in Alpe d'Huez ? I want to organise some private lessons for my 2 kids, 13 and 14, over Christmas. They are both excellent skiers in that they can ski anywhere, including blacks and deep snow, but because they are basically self taught / taught by self taught me they could do with some "refining". I was looking at either ESI or Stance, who seem to be highly recommended on here. There is a massive price difference though, 43€ / hr for ESI and 60+€ for Stance. I don't mind paying for quality but.....

Arno, I know you have made good comments about Stance before. They have got a special offer on, 50% off Very Happy, at the moment, but that ends the day we get there Sad I will have to hone my negotiating skills I guess.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guernseyfreerider, he's the guy

skitow, i shadowed with masterclass when I was doing BASI stuff a few years back and Olly worked there back then so recommendations are of Olly rather than Stance specifically
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skitow, I'm sorry no; I know their philosophy as a Coop and have a connection with them in another resort. If you are getting known recommendations of BASI instructors I would lean in that direction as English speaking instructors will be better communicators and have a system which will be followed if you want your kids to have further lessons by an British instructor elsewhere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reading this thread with interest as just booked for 2nd Feb for a week. I am leaning towards Stance, but anyone who has experience of these or others please share especially if it was to help improve a nervous intermediate's confidence on steeper or icy runs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peterjones3, I'm booked in for two hours with Seb at Stance a week on Sunday, will let you know what I think
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
Peterjones3, I'm booked in for two hours with Seb at Stance a week on Sunday, will let you know what I think

cheers. As it happens, been in touch with Oli over the weekend. Really impressed with his communication, so booked a few lessons for my wife. I am hoping he gets her confidence levels up so we can explore more of the resort! I will probably book something for later in the week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guernseyfreerider, Would appreciate that. I'm still thinking about a moguls lessons for my daughter (with me floundering behind), she's not that bothered but if he's really ace we'll probably go for it. It would be a very early pre-BASI L2 for her.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guernseyfreerider, How did the lessons go?
snow report
Peterjones3, I had a couple of hours with Seb from Stance and I thought he was absolutely excellent, really set me up great for the week. Would have loved to have done some freeriding with him but there was a couple of things I wanted to work on so I was a good boy and stuck to the plan snowHead

I also went out with an expert group with ESF on a powder day. Cannot speak highly enough of the coach Loic. He was just a class act. That was basically a session ripping around at warp speed in powder. I was the only English person in group but he briefed me before each run in perfect English about which lines we could take and then did same with the group. Would ski with him again in a heartbeat. snowHead
snow conditions
Cheers, sounds like fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy