Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts- St Anton vs. Ischgl? Soelden? Mayrhofen? Please help :).

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Smile. I am planning a ski vacation in Austria for myself and a couple of friends. We want to go towards the end of January, and I am having a lot of trouble picking a resort.

The challenge I am having is that while I like to go on steep challenging runs, my friends are not necessarily very advanced. One of them is actually a VERY timid skier, and will probably end up staying mostly on blue runs. Another friend can do easy black runs in US, but definitely no off-piste and nothing too steep. No moguls either. This means that I won't be going off-piste either, as I'd rather not do that solo.

So what I am looking for is a resort that would have plenty of challenging steep groomers in addition to some easy cruisers. We'll be there a full week, so I definitely want to be at a large resort with plenty of options - and a fun apres-ski scene:).

I am really leaning towards St. Anton, but am concerned that there will not be enough easy blue/red runs there to keep my friend occupied (I read that even blue slopes there can be challenging for beginners). I am also a bit alarmed by reports of crowded slopes and long lift lines -are those reports true?

I was also recommended Ischgl, Mayrhofen and Solden, but I just want to make sure we don't end up at an intermediate-friendly resort without many advanced on-piste options. Last year we ended up going to Cervinia/Zermatt, staying on the Cervinia side. While it's a lovely mountain, I got bored after a day and a half, it's so very flat (my timid friend enjoyed all the "red" runs there, but they should honestly be classified as blue). Zermatt was a lot of fun, though...

If anybody has skied in Austria, I would really appreciate a recommendation! Thanks Smile.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen.

You can ski the Harikari all day, whilst your more timid friends can ski the rest of the extensive area. You may even want to join them. Occasionally.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you mean one friend can do easy blacks in US but no off-piste and moguls? I thought (based on many posts here) all US black runs were epic ungroomed descents of steepness not found in Europe??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am sad to report that some of those posts might have been mildly exxagerated Smile. I've skied in Colorado (Vail, Beaver Creek), Lake Tahoe (Squa Valley) and East Coast (Stowe, Jay Peak, etc), and can assure you that there are plenty of black groomers here Smile. Yes, they are steep, but to a various degree- some are terrifying while others merely steep. Having said that there are certainly plently of "ungroomed descents of steepness" Wink, if that's what you're in to Smile.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl would suit you better than Anton, less moguls, better piste skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Big vote for Ischgl from me too especially given that
Quote:

One of them is actually a VERY timid skier, and will probably end up staying mostly on blue runs.

alenchic, There's enough steep stuff in Ischgl, way more than in Vail/Beaver Creek etc and you can always grab a guide to take you off to find the best places.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to all four and in Ischgl's case many, many times so for what its worth for apres ski fun you won't go wrong with any of them. Skiing is a bit more difficult given the range of ability in your group. Mayrhofen might suit your friends but not you so much. Yes you have the Harikiri but its not that difficult for a good skier and isn't long and while there are other blacks its not a challenging area and the runs are often short. Memories of Solden are a bit sketchy as its been a while but don't remember it as being particularly difficult. As clarky999, says Ischgl probably has better piste skiing than St. Anton though not as good off piste, decent blacks, some steep as well as less steep reds. Runs around Idalpe and Alp Trida would suit the less adventurous of you.

Whatever you decide none will be as flat as Cervinia - been there too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good morning. I have also skied all four on numerous occasions. My vote is torn between St Anton and Ischgl. The main slopes above St Anton can get a little bumpy towards the bottom at the end of the day but the skiing at Lech and Zurs, which is part of the same lift pass, has world class fast cruising runs. They are groomed to perfection to make rich Austrians and Germans look amazing on piste. Ischgl is more expensive in every way but the aprés partying at places like the Trofana Alms and the Schatzi bar is unrivalled. I prefer the look and main street of St Anton and the variety of ski areas on the lift pass. Ischgl was a little tame for me.

My vote is for St Anton, it has never let me down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Alenchic, I live in Marhofen and have done for the last four winter's now, good area with some great explaratory skiing! The public transport is 1st class up and down the valley with bus and train services to Hintertux/Zell am Ziller/Gerlos/Fugen/Hochfugen all within about a max of 40mins from your door, there's more piste skiing than you could get round in a week thats for sure!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would also put Ischgl and St. Anton as the real choices and would agree with carnaj66 comments about both resorts, but also add that there are only two pistes back to town in Ischgl; one pretty steepish and sometimes icy and the other a bit narrower and liable to get worn out. I also think the skiing is better in St Anton. I'd agree that Ischgl apres-ski is excellent, but I feel that St. Anton is actually even better! I vote for St Anton!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not give Serfaus / Fiss a try. A large ski area, Blacks aren't too scary and link in well with Blues/Reds. Good Modern Lifdt system, easy to navigate, some off piste if you want it, and atleaset one good scarey black (if you wanty it).
It's in Tirol, nearest airport is Inbnsbruck so no need to change transport plans.

http://youtube.com/v/6Lx8j-oWYI8
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alenchic, Very tough choice. Personally it's St Anton for me every time BUT the piste skiing is easier in Ischgl and apres almost as good. Ischgl in my experience has had much bigger lift queues from the 3 main gondolas than St Anton - in fact you very rarely have to queue in St Anton thanks to the new gondolas (Rendlbahn and Galzigbahn).
The main issue with timid skiers for St Anton is the main run back down to the village from the main hill in St Anton - this does get very busy from around 2pm onwards, although is a dead easy run in the morning - not steep at all. There is plenty of easy skiing in Rendl, Zurs and Lech, where we tend to ski most whilst we're in St Anton. I've found some of the red ski routes easier than one or two of the blue pistes in the area.
Ischgl for me has a bit of a Disney feel to the village, and atmosphere not as good as in St Anton.
No matter which one you go for (between St Anton and Ischgl), you will not be disappointed. Each has many, many plus points and only a few negatives. The one thing that Ischgl does not have, is true piste side apres (ie Mooserwirt, Krazy Kanguruh etc....which St Anton has) - and for me would be a deal breaker for a fun break away - the 400m or so ski down to St Anton after a few beers at one of the many establishments is great fun Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alenchic, I have skied St Anton and Ischgl a fair bit but not at all at Mayrhofen or Solden.

A personal inclination would be Ischgl. The gentler skiing in St Anton tends to be more in the further away bits of the area rather than centrally. (Stuben, Rendl Lech etc) so your more nervous companion is the one doing the travelling and possibely being less confident of how to get there.

I am also a bit sceptical about claims that St Anton has the tougher marked slopes. In my experience the ski routes in Ischgl which are marked are a lot less skied than St Antons routes and people just dont really know about them as much but they are no easier.

Still they are both excellent areas and I am sure you will have a great time in either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't particularly like St Anton but I know that's a personal thing. In my mind, its faults are summed up in my (different) perspective to baobski's points. The most significant benefit that Ischgl has over St Anton though is that its off-piste skiing just isn't as hammered.

boabski wrote:
the piste skiing is easier in Ischgl

This is true. Avoiding dangerous, overconfident, underskilled, drunken muppets in St Anton is much more difficult than at Ischgl.

boabski wrote:
Ischgl in my experience has had much bigger lift queues from the 3 main gondolas than St Anton

The opposite is true as I remember it.

boabski wrote:
The main issue with timid skiers for St Anton is the main run back down to the village from the main hill in St Anton

Yep, the end of day 'Happy Valley' in St Anton is narrow, busy and full of dangerous drunks. However, Ischgl at the finish of the day is no better for timid skiers determined to finish their day on skis though because it alternates between narrow or flat pitches to seriously mogulled, steepish pitches at the very finish. There is a gondola download option to avoid it all though.

boabski wrote:
Ischgl for me has a bit of a Disney feel to the village, and atmosphere not as good as in St Anton.

Not for me. Puzzled Because Ischgl isn't overrun by Brits, it has a more Germanic air than St Anton. Las Vegas in one or two hotels maybe but not Disneyesque at all.

boabski wrote:
The one thing that Ischgl does not have, is true piste side apres (ie Mooserwirt, Krazy Kanguruh etc....which St Anton has) - and for me would be a deal breaker for a fun break away - the 400m or so ski down to St Anton after a few beers at one of the many establishments is great fun Very Happy

Yep, the end of day 'Happy Valley' in St Anton is narrow, busy and full of dangerous drunks. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've also been lucky enough to ski all those resorts a number of times. As much as I love the apres I would not take lower intermediate friends to St Anton. You can not go far wrong in all the other three. I would rate Sölden best for piste sking including some decent blacks, not my favourite apres. Not so well known with brits as it has a mainly German clientele. Ischgl best for apres of the three. Mayrhofen - centre of the Zillertal valley where I spend most time. Some great Apres, convenient for Mumich and over 600km of sking to explore in the valley. If you enjoy some Apres as well as skiing then Austria is the place as far as I'm concerned.
snow conditions
I'd strike Mayrhofen from your list. Harikiri aside, the hard stuff isn't very hard, and the most appropriate stuff for your 'timid' mate is on a separate mountain (the Ahorn vs the Penken). You other two might not even be able to meet him for a drink all that easily...
latest report
I'm not surprised by any of the comments about St Anton, Mayrofen or Cervinia, none of which I would think would be good for a mixed-ability group that includes a very timid lower intermediate and someone at the opposte extreme. I can't speak for Ischgl.
As a suitable compromise, which won't involve subjecting the less experienced skiers to anything unpleasant, may I (tentatively) suggest Saalbach-Hinterglemm? It has 200km of interlinked piste, split between 30% beginners, 60% intermediates (the two intermediates will be 'in clover') and 10% advanced (6 blacks, including a couple of 3 or 4km quite challenging ones). The piste map in downloadable from the resort website.
We frequently ski with mixed parties, including advanced skiers who seem to find plenty of entertainment. The area lends itself to long itineraries, with no need to do the same piste twice and all skier levels able to meet for lunch and/or apres-ski, at places like the Goassstall, the Hinterhag Alm, the Panoramaalm and the Bergerhochalm, with the ability to ski down together 'after the party'....oh, and the apres-ski is legendary!
snow conditions
In my opinion any of them will do.

One goes to St Anton because it is one of the most famous in Austria and may be regarded by some the best. Lech has the most expensive accommodation apparently and there is a White Ring circuit (going around Lech and Zurs)

Ischgl is the venue for holding rock concert at the mountain top and is famous of its 4 & 5 star accommodations. It is one of the rare Austrian resort that link with Swiss Samnaun which feature a double decker cable car.

Mayrhofen is good for the steepest "groomed" piste in Austrian so it is at least a good way to measure how steep a groomed piste could be and what the 78% gradient actually like in Harakiri run. That piste run can only be groomed by machined on a winch. The largest cable car can be found Ahorn next to Mayrhofen but with friendly blue runs.

Solden has three peaks over 3000m, sunny area and extensive terrain.

They are all big enough for the mixed ability wishing to remain on-piste.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is a big and easy resort sold on the strength of being family friendly. It may be regarded as on the tame side but a nice and enjoyable place to ski.

Sallabch/Hinterglemm/Leogang is also a big resort to do high mileage but it is in Salzburg. It has circuit fully linked on both sides of the valley and take a day to pass through in a loop with plenty of blue and ed runs. The loop is one of the largest in Austria.

Generally there isn't much wrong going to any of the large Austrian resort in either Tirol or Salzburg.
ski holidays
Quote:

but it is in Salzburg

Puzzled
snow conditions
Thank you so much for your help! Getting recommendations from people who have actually been there is truly invaluable , and I'll be sharing them all with my friends so that we could make a final decision. I am feeling confident that this time I won't get stuck at a flat Cervinia-like resort Smile.
ski holidays
I know you specified Austria but seems hard to find perfect resort for such mixed ability group. Would you consider Alpe d'Huez in France? Plenty for beginners, plenty for intermediates, and plenty for experts (on and off-piste)
latest report
Patricksh, thank you for the recommendation Smile. I think everyone in the group is pretty set on Austria, as none of us have been there before. I personally have done some skiing in France and loved it, although I've never been to Alpe d'Huez, only Chamonix and Deux Alpes. But we just thought that it would be nice to try a new place/country this time. Perhaps we'll go to France next year- alas, I can only afford one European ski trip a winter.
snow conditions
Only been to Ischgl and St Anton but I'd agree with what Moffatross says. I really liked Ischgl's atmosphere, thought it was one of the nicest ski towns I'd visited, was heavily blanketed in fresh snow at the time though so might be different without.

For pistes, imo, Ischgl beats the pants of St Anton, and has a much better lift system as well. Off piste is much better in St Anton though and prob less of a bottleneck getting up the mountain in the first place at peak times than there can be in Ischgl. This was only a problem on weekends when I was there (Ischgl). I also prefer the on piste apres of St Anton, but bear in mind that much of the best skiing will not see you finishing near that apres anyway. The best pistes there imo were in Zurs.

OP for what you're looking for, as between Ischgl and St Anton I'd definitely choose Ischgl. There's three or four blacks in a circle at one point and all of them are pretty steep in some patches by black standards so you can get your kicks there. Lots and lots of groomers on the Samnaun side and some at the top of the Ischgl side. Your timid skiers should get the lift down at the end of the day though as the run home is tight and can be packed and icy. If off piste was your priority I'd definitely say the reverse.
ski holidays
I should add that it was really refreshing to visit a resort where no-one a all was speaking English as a first language
latest report
saikee wrote:

Mayrhofen is good for the steepest "groomed" piste in Austrian so it is at least a good way to measure how steep a groomed piste could be and what the 78% gradient actually like in Harakiri run. That piste run can only be groomed by machined on a winch.

Actually, Lech also has a piste with a 78% pitch and it is long...
snow report
saikee wrote:
Lech has the most expensive accommodation apparently and there is a White Ring circuit (going around Lech and Zurs)

I read that as "there is a Right Wing circuit", and got an image of a bunch of posh twunts guffawing and grumbling about all the plebs in the resort...
ski holidays
I'd say you are down to Sölden or Ischgl of those 4. Sölden better skiing just not known by many brits as the Germans keep it for themselves Ischgl better apres
ski holidays
ulmerhutte,

Are we comparing apple with apple here?

There are loads of runs steeper than 78% in the Austrian and the Alps. The one in question is a "groomed" piste. Some North American resorts classified extreme skiing when the angle exceed 45% or 100% but those are itinerary runs (not groomed).

The point in here is for those staying "on-piste" they can expect gradient rarely exceeding 78% because beyond which the snowbasher may be unsafe to operate there.

Mayrhofen's Harakiri run is sign-posted as the steepest run in Austria and the 78% is displayed. I have not come across other Alpine resorts displaying the gradient of a particular run except in Austria. I recalled seeing another such sign in Kitzbuhel but not as steep. Which run in Lech tells us the gradient? May be I should look out for it next time I am in St Anton.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 15-11-12 13:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tatman's Tours,

I thought the OP's question of skiing resorts are in the Tirol region. Does Saalbach not belong to Salzburg region? Once we starting looking into Salzburg region there are many good skiing choices as well.
ski holidays
saikee, no mention of just Tirol in the original post that I can see, rather all the resorts are in the Tirol. But it could also be that they are going by the ones marketed wherever they are (I'm assuming the UK). To be honest I don't think of of them fulfill all the criteria that well and still deliver value for money for all. There are pros and cons for both.

If looking at Sölden, then why not also look at Obergurgl. For St Anton, staying in Nasserein gives the more timid skiers a way better choice and prices are marginally cheaper. As others have said Ischgl covers most of the criteria, but it is generally quite expensive. Mayrhofen is a bit of a marmite place it seems, but further down the valley on the same pass you have Fügen and Hochfügen as well as Kaltenbach which are below the radar as far as most Brits.

Outside of Tirol the number of resorts that fit the criteria is huge, so perhaps sticking to the one province may not be such a bad idea after all. wink
snow conditions
Alenchi - umm, quite a challenge! 90 min south of Innsbruck ariport is the Val Gardena, the South Tyrol. The Dolomites comprises Blue-30%, Red-60%, Black-10%. A stay in Selva or maybe Arabba would seem to suit, based upon your skiing needs. Not quite Austria but it is the same part of the world!

Hope that helps, Tim
snow report
Samerberg Sue,

It is true many SHs are not comfortable with Austria resorts as you and I who normally go to ski with a car.

Mayrhofen to us is one of 5/6 resorts in Zillertal Valley. Its ski pass bought 4 days or more will immediately entitle the holder to ski anywhere in that valley so the amount of skiing and variety is difficult to appreciate if one sticks with only one place. Like you said Hintertux glacier, Zillertal Arena, Kaltenbach... are all parts of the deal to me if I visit Mayrhofen. Going by ski buses down the valley is way to go if one want to try the other skiing areas in sizes comparable to Mayrhofen. And this is just the Zillertal Valley. Mayrhofen is apprximately at the middle while out of the valley Kaltenbach is 10 miles away and the dead end in Hintertux is 12 miles away.

St Anton similarly has various unlinked area (or unidirectional by off piste only), Ischgl has Kappl, See and Galtur (all along 16 miles stretch of the Silvetta Valley) and Solden is in the same valley of Obergurgl (about 10 to 11 miles apart).

I agree Tirol has other important offers as well as it has 111 skiing resorts. There are resorts in South Tirol extending into Italy Dolomites. The neighboring Salzburg region has another 50. Bergfex.com reports 362 resorts in Austria so even skiing all the resorts in OP list is still scratching its surface only.
ski holidays
Thank you once again for your suggestions! It definitely doesn't have to be Tirol- we are open to any area in Austria. We will not have a car, though, so will be mostly stuck in whichever resort we choose. I understand that with some of them there are options to take a bus in the morning to a neighboring ski area, but I just don't see a 40 minute bus ride as a good way to start your day, if instead you had an option to just hop on the lift and go ski.

Having said that I would definitely do it, just to try a new resort, but I am not so sure about some of my companions. At this point my friend's parents also want to come along, and at our last trip to Cervinia they even declined to cross the mountain to the Zermatt side, since it just seemed too complicated to them.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
ulmerhutte,

Are we comparing apple with apple here?

There are loads of runs steeper than 78% in the Austrian and the Alps. The one in question is a "groomed" piste. Some North American resorts classified extreme skiing when the angle exceed 45% or 100% but those are itinerary runs (not groomed).

The point in here is for those staying "on-piste" they can expect gradient rarely exceeding 78% because beyond which the snowbasher may be unsafe to operate there.

Mayrhofen's Harakiri run is sign-posted as the steepest run in Austria and the 78% is displayed. I have not come across other Alpine resorts displaying the gradient of a particular run except in Austria. I recalled seeing another such sign in Kitzbuhel but not as steep. Which run in Lech tells us the gradient? May be I should look out for it next time I am in St Anton.

Sorry, maybe somebody else will name it, but I will not. It is quiet, rarely are there more than 5 or 6 other skiers on it. I would like for it to stay that way. Ohhhh, and btw, it is most certainly groomed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy