Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort within an hour of Munch?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get a Long weekend at the start of March and flights to Munich are cheap with very good times.
I have only ever skied St Anton in Austria but am looking for something closer to Munich so as to maximise our time on the slopes.
Any ideas?
We are all descent intermediates in our late 30's so nightlife is important but as long as there is a god pub or two we are happy enough.
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maddness, There are none! The closest you would get would be Garmisch-Partenkirch, Wallberg, Blomberg (just outside of Bad Tolz) or Lengies which are all over an hour from Munich Airport. Garmisch is only a viable option because of the motorway links as it is even further out but due to the bottlenecks at either end travelling can take way longer if you hit the wrong times

If you want to maximise time on the slope look for flights to Innsbruck or Salzburg rather than Munich. Salzburg to most of the Amadé resorts is less than an hour (assuming you have flight times that are not on big changeover times). Flights to Innsbruck will give you no end of choice within an hours journey and mostly reachable by train so the potential traffic problems are minimised.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allow 2 hours tavel from munich and you will get to hintertux easy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The problem I have is from Dublin we can only get flights to Munich daily.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maddness, if you are only looking at the start of March, you still have plenty of time yet to see what turns up. I live in the Bavarian Alps close to the Austrian border and I always allow myself a minimum of 90 minutes to get to the airport if I am driving from my home to pick someone up.

Wait until the season maybe starts and see what flights are actually on offer as well as what the conditions are like. Apart from Lenggries, Schliersee/Sudelfeld/Bayerischerzell and Garmish-Partenkirchen, none of the German areas are that good at holding the snow. Bayerischerzell is a good base with fairly good value accommodation which gives you a wide variety of small resorts within easy reach with good if somewhat slower lift systems. You can reach all three of these areas by train by the way and group tickets are pretty cheap (22 Euro for a day return anywhere in Bavaria fora single and 30 Euro for a group of up to 5 people)

There is also some good skiing to be had in the Allgäu region around Obersdorf (Nebelhorn area) but whether that is within an hour's drive of the airport I'm not sure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
but whether that is within an hour's drive of the airport I'm not sure.
Nope. More like 2h30. It's a nice place though, with either Nebelhorn in Oberstdorf itself or the Fellhorn area, which a few minutes drive, and which connects up with the ski area in Kleinwalsertal (Austria)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maddness, Ryan Air fly to Salzburg in the ski season but the schedule does not seem to be available right now. There are also some charters listed and you may be able to buy seats that way.

I checked the airport websites (Dublin, Innsbruck and Salzburg) by the way not the carriers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was thinking of Soll or somewhere near the area and reckoned it was only an hour or two max drive from Munich.
Ryanair have cancelled a lot of their routes from Ireland because of the government tax which really limits the choices from Dublin.
I always fly to Geneva and ski in France, I just fancy a change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maddness, if we have a good season, there is more than enough for you to ski if you base yourself in Bayerischerzell. And it is reachable by train so you don't have to hire a car. Like I said leave it until we see what is happening snow-wise. Another snowHead, MikePow based himself there a couple of seasons back and had a great time

Söll is about 2 hours at a pinch but the route is prone to jams at certain times of the weekend. The road up to Söll from Kufstein can be slow going at the best of times, with lots of day traffic heading to/from the slopes it can be a nightmare. If you did say Thursday to Monday, you probably would not have any problems. The big jams are on Friday evenings (weekenders) and Saturday (can be practically all day on busy weekends if you are really unlucky) going to the resorts and Saturdays and Sunday afternoon early evening on the way back (weekenders and day visitors).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two hours would get you to Pfronten which is the gateway to the Tannheimertal, about 30 mins further on, more than enough pistes to keep you busy for a long weekend. and holds the snow a bit better than on the german side of the border
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry just re read title of post, definitely more than an hour
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Restricting yourself to an hour drive is a mistake given the cost end effort to get to Munich in the first place, think 2 hours and you open up a lot more options.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maddness, I'm also restricted to Dublin but here's the only reasonable choices for Austria

1. Ryanair - Dublin to Salzburg, Sat and Sundays only but nice times but heavy charges for skis/luggage.

2. AerLingus - Dublin to Munich, Daily some days morning and evening flights.

3. Lufthansa - Dublin to Salzburg via Frankfurt - lots of flights daily but the best is the 0530 or 1230 departure as it's the shortest total journey time - ski carriage included so may work out a good deal also return at around 1900 daily from Salzburg.

4. Aer Lingus - Dublin to Zurich, easy train to Arlberg area.Return times are not handy though may involve a night in Zurich on the way back.

5. Swiss _ Dublin to Zurich - nice time out early return though, skis included.

Happy hunting

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maddness wrote:
I was thinking of Soll or somewhere near the area and reckoned it was only an hour or two max drive from Munich.
Ryanair have cancelled a lot of their routes from Ireland because of the government tax which really limits the choices from Dublin.
I always fly to Geneva and ski in France, I just fancy a change.

Unlikely, the road is bad for traffic in the season (especially weekends), and the airport is actually a fair distance from Munich, and on the other side. Usually 2.5 hours drive from Innsbruck, so I reckon 2 hours minimum to Soell.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hope i can add a bit having lived in munich for 6 years (my wife for 15). my recommendation would be to get the train from the airport to hauptbahnhof, transfer to the train to garmisch and relax with some beers and banter. you've got glacier access, ie skiing at around 3000m, so it's very snow-sure and there's enough skiing to occupy you for a long weekend.

driving times to resorts are highly variable, depending on the day and time of day. hintertux 'can' be reached in a little over 2 hours but that requires no speed restrictions, no traffic and good weather. not a common combination, especially when you really want it! i've got from the airport (used to live in freising just next to it) to soll in just over an hour but that was leaving at 6.30am. but i've also taken over 3 hours to there and 5 hours to/from zillertal, ie mayrhofen.
ski holidays
grazzenger wrote:
hope i can add a bit having lived in munich for 6 years (my wife for 15). my recommendation would be to get the train from the airport to hauptbahnhof, transfer to the train to garmisch and relax with some beers and banter. you've got glacier access, ie skiing at around 3000m, so it's very snow-sure and there's enough skiing to occupy you for a long weekend.

driving times to resorts are highly variable, depending on the day and time of day. hintertux 'can' be reached in a little over 2 hours but that requires no speed restrictions, no traffic and good weather. not a common combination, especially when you really want it! i've got from the airport (used to live in freising just next to it) to soll in just over an hour but that was leaving at 6.30am. but i've also taken over 3 hours to there and 5 hours to/from zillertal, ie mayrhofen.

I've done this several times, and for a long weekend flying into Munich it really is the best advice. The train to Garmisch is easy, cheap, and goes by quickly with a couple beers.

Looking at at the original post, decent intermediates looking to maximise time on the slopes cheaply from Munich is pretty much ideal for Garmisch. The Classic area accessed from town is good for piste skiing with some great runs down to the valley. It gets crowded on weekends, which is why you hop on the train to Lermoos on Saturday (just over the Austrian border, about 30 minutes). Zugspitze glacier (well sort of a glacier until it disappears) is an option if the snow is thin.

Not crazy nightlife but good enough. The Irish Pub not far from the train station is good fun. Lots of great Baverian restaurants. Wide range of accommidations. All at reasonable prices.
ski holidays
Quote:
i've got from the airport (used to live in freising just next to it) to Söll in just over an hour but that was leaving at 6.30am
We've done it in about an hour and a quarter in low season (first week of April) after landing at Munich at about 10.00am on a Saturday.

Also, we've done about 6 or 7 one night dash trips outside the school hols (our party includes a schoolteacher) where we've landed at that sort of time on a Saturday, at various times of the ski season, and never had really bad traffic jams outbound to resort. However, the return run on a Sunday evening can be a nightmare - to the extent that, on a couple of occasions, we've come off the motorway and ran parallel to it on back roads.
snow conditions
Often pick up family and friends and can do Munich to Westendorf in 1hr 20 mins. Access to the ski-welt and the other resorts of Brixen, Soll, Ellmau, Scheffau and can ski into the back end of Kitzbuehel and all that has to offer.
If traffic heavy on the motorway can do the back roads in 1hr 50. Nothin else in this neck of the woods closer.
ski holidays
Moved to Austria, sorry but that is total cr@p and rather silly advice. How long ago did you move to Austria and when did you last achieve that time without getting a speeding ticket? Unless the OP stops to buy a vignette (or risks the 400 Euro fine) as well switching from the autobahn to the Bundestrasse will slow them down considerably as well.

I can get to Munich Brunnthal in 40 minutes usually, I do it every day it is called a commute! But from Brunnthal to anywhere else can take easily as long if not longer.

There are also many small and interesting resorts on the German side as I listed in my first response and they are well worth a look at if the snow is good.

The best advice given so far is catch the train to Garmisch or Lenggries. I would go for Lenggreis rather than Garmisch as it gives better value for the money. Sadly Garmisch is still living in the days where it was supported generously by the American military services as an R&R centre and its prices reflect that. It is much beloved by the Munich Wannabe group with more money than sense to be honest and gets rammed at the weekend with day trippers a lot of whom fall into the All the Gear, No Idea category. The BOB to Lenggreis from the Hauptbahnhof is easier to use and opens up a better snow record and more interesting area to be honest.
snow report
Several years ago and do the journey several times a year - approx 3 times a week in Winter
Okay - BEST time is 1hr 20, but normal time under 1hr 30 with no traffic.
Maddness mentioned a long weekend so I made an assumption he wasnt flying in on a Saturday - when the journey can take much longer on the motorways.
Worst drive is 2hrs 40 in very snowy conditions going on all the back roads on a saturday.
The request didnt mention anything about hiring a car and he was talking about skiing in Austria - see his later comment about going to Soll - so i was saying that there was nothing else in this "neck of the woods" - I didnt say anything about what was available in Germany.
So go to somewhere in Germany and have a weekend with "German wannabees who ram the place out at weekends on day trips" - "Cr@p and silly advice if you ask me"!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
As long as the car rental phaaf dosn't take too long you should be able to get to
Soll.
or even Brixen
But I'd go to Kitzbuehel especially if the apres ski is important.

I forgot about getting a Vignette though ... shows how long since the last time I went.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
It is much beloved by the Munich Wannabe group with more money than sense to be honest
I disagree! Garmisch is a nice small town with a decent ski area. Lenggries is also nice, but the ski area is a lot more limited than Garmisch. The Zugspitze is one of my favourite powder bowls, second to none on a weekday powder day. Both resorts get crowded at weekends. I had to wait for a whole hour at the base of Lenggries last winter!
ski holidays
Moved to Austria, but not recently or you would know about the IG-L speed restrictions and the penchant ASFINAG have for sitting just past the Kufstein-Süd exit pulling in all the Germans and other nationalities who think they can wing it to the Wörgl junction without a vignette. Laughing

Using the TomTom live route planner and putting in a departure from Munich airport at 21.00 on Thursday night they are saying 1 hour 36 minutes without any delays for anything (like buying a vignette). However there are many speed restrictions along the route due to roadworks, weather or sheer volume of traffic. Bavarian police (especially those around my neck of the woods in Rosenheimerland) have declared war on wannabe boy racers and tailgaters. They have publicised the fact in the local newspapers and the state government have even introduced a 120km/h limit along long stretches of the A8 this autumn to try and cut down on the amount of accidents.

Getting there is not really the problem as a mid-week run is usually not traffic heavy. Getting back to the airport on the sunday (if that is the departure day) is the problem as all the weekenders and day-trippers are pouring back towards Munich and all points north of the Alps. If you can spread your long weekend over to a Monday departure then Ski Welt is a possibility because the traffic moving to the airport on a Monday evening is fairly minimal.

Steilhang, we will just have to agree to differ! I like the skiing at Garmisch but not the prices! wink
snow report
Samerburg Sue
Just offered an opinion on a ski resort and time from the airport.
The guy simply asked about times and resorts - duly answered.
If he had asked about car hire, mentioned days of travel, traffic conditions, where to where to avoid the ASFINAG patrols, and anything else to do with his trip I would have obliged - but then I wouldn't need to because you would have preempted his questions for him with a thesis good enough for a Masters Degree!!!!!
Bet he ends up booking a taxi/transfer that wont care about speed limits and wont need to stop to buy a vignette!!!!!
snow report
you don't (or didn't) need a vignette if exiting and kufstein-sued for ski-welt. true that the cops sit just beyond it!

it can come down to the matter of quarter of an hour here or there as to whether you sit in queues all the way, either way. check european holiday dates as everyone and anyone heading for the austrian and italian alps from germany, denmark, netherlands and less-so, belgium passes via munich.

lots of local and good advice here. some are being more cautious than others, from bitter experience. if you book flights and tell us the days and times, you'll get a tailored travel plan back, no doubt!
latest report
OMG - we have a troll in our midst rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy