Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight stay near Bourg just before New Year

Poster: A snowHead
We had a great plan - pull into Bourg on the Friday evening before our apartment rental starts in Val Claret on Saturday 29 December. The idea was to stop by the supermarket first thing, stock up for the week ahead and still be on the slopes by Saturday lunchtime. However, we've overlooked the fact that none of the hotels in Bourg seem to want to offer a one night stay at this time of year. Any suggestions?!?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi thefirefairy,

The reason you are having problems is because people book a whole week in Bourg and use the funiculair in Les Arcs to ski and as it is Christmas and New Year, few hotels want to sell for one night.

The easiest option would be to stop a little further out in one of the chain hotels as these rarely have whole-week bookings. If you have a look at Albertville then there is a big supermarket there so you could still easily be on the slopes in Val by lunchtime. The Ibis has availability for €40 for example. . . .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Snow and Sunshine

Thanks so much for the reply - just the sort of really helpful advice I was hoping for. I'll look at the Ibis now.

Cheers!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're staying here for a couple of nights en-route to Tignes: www.loftmountainhostel.com

I haven't been there before, but it was recommended by friends and sounds like a friendly place if you are happy with hostel accommodation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or Chambery
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few years ago I found a nice hotel in Landry to stay for a weekend. Albertville is only 45 minutes from Bourg and if time is so tight you want to maximise every minute on the piste then get up three quarters of an hour earlier. Or cut the time you are in the supermarket.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefirefairy, You usually have to book a Friday night in one of the chain hotels around Albertville and Moutiers really early, especially for the peak weeks. I was looking for a place for the Friday night before New Years week a couple of months ago and the closest I could find availability was in Annecy or Chambery.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I booked the hotel angival in bourg on the 29th and have always used them for single night stays,
Give them a try
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This may be too late but have you tried the Petite Auberge on the edge of Bourg St Maurice? Nice place (with lovely Restaurant which locals use) and very cheap. Though, like most places, they might be unwilling to take you for only one night except at the last moment. After all, it means they can't take a skier in that room who wants to stay a week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it.

I've left it too late for the suggestions in Bourg Sad

As skichampcouk warned, all the chains were full in Albertville and Moutiers, and it was looking like Chambery, but I've managed to get us into La Cabriere between Albertville and Moutiers. For three of us it is €71 which doesn't seem too bad. I hope no-one has any horror stories about it! They answered my enquiry really quickly and efficiently and seem friendly enough, so fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best supermarket to use for stocking up en route from here to Val?

Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefirefairy, The largest Supermarkets are in Albertville and in Bourg on the road to Val etc
Moutier has a medium sized supermarket Super U or Carrefour can't remember which, Lidl and many traditional shops.
The choice is yours!
Super U in Bourg is probably the best bet and also has a petrol station, top up the tank if parking outside.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's perfect thank you Boredsurfing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Though smaller I prefer the food in the Intermache next door to the SuperU. But if I recall correctly the fish counter is better in the Super U.
thefirefairy, Remember to bring your own bags.
Personally I cannot be bothered to do a big shop at the supermarket in the valley and happily get all I want from the little shop in Arc 1600.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks JohnE, the little shop in Val Claret is a bit limited. It's also quite expensive, which I completely understand - they have to make a living, but we need to keep our costs down as best we can.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Though smaller I prefer the food in the Intermache next door to the SuperU. But if I recall correctly the fish counter is better in the Super U.'...
IIRC There isn't a fish counter in Intermache, apart from that I much prefer it.
latest report
Quote:

thefirefairy, Remember to bring your own bags.

Oh yes, that's good advice! Very Happy But if you do forget the Super U at Bourg has a stack of cardboard boxes for re-use behind the tills!
snow report
We always shopped at Simply Market in Moutiers as it is cheaper than SuperU or Intermarche and has a very decent selection. It is owned by Auchan so expect the same style. It is just behind the train station. There is also a big Carrefour and a Lidl in Moutiers.
snow conditions
Quote:

IIRC There isn't a fish counter in Intermache, apart from that I much prefer it.

That could be why I always use the Super U fish counter. IIRC they have at least 3 different types of oyster.
snow report
There is an Ibis hotel in Albertville? snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy