Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier at end of Jan for a party of starters?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all. We're a group of mixed ability skiiers, but most of us are pretty green - would Serre Chevalier be suitable? We're thinking of going right at the end of January - any experience on snow conditions around then would be much appreciated too snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
YES!

Serre Che is a great location for noobs, IMHO. Plenty of great cruising pistes, and a very, very good ski school too;
http://www.ski-school-connections.co.uk/
Can't recommend these guys highly enough. Davina and team are utterly superb. Great balance of fun and progression.

It's not the liveliest of towns, as in not really a place to dance on the tables in your ski boots, but if you like great food, great skiing and great fun, Serre Che's hard to beat!

Oh, and you need to earn that first beer at the bottom of the Alphand......

Well earned by CT663, on Flickr

Top of Grand Serre by CT663, on Flickr
Yours truly, about to drop in to the tracked out mogul fest on the left of the shot!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Carlos Smile And last week in Jan, good for snow? Mid March is a possibility too, but more likely the former.

Oh, I tend to fall down mountains on my bum - every beer is earned!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done both Jan and mid-March in Serre Che. Top pic was a March trip, bottom was a Jan trip.

March is usually fine for snow, but can get HOT! It's a really sunny resort, and you may find that some of the lower slopes are slushed out towards the end of the day. Best to download from on high at that point. Above the mid-stations (Serre Ratier, Aravet etc) the snow stays good, and the piste team do a SUPERB job of keeping everything tip top!

In January, snow is almost always better, but can still be super sunny! (See above!) Only the really busy slopes get tracked out, such as the Alphand. Overall, though, there's great snow every time I've been in Jan, and just one day of new snow can give you lots of fresh to play with in the woods (Assuming you're up to that!)

When it snows, many people stay down in the valley, thinking the weather's closed in. But, see above...Up above the clouds it's awesome!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again man - appreciate the advice. Have a virtual beer on me Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
howie, Hells Bells, will probably be along in a moment to add to this but here's my 10p.

Snow is falling already in Serre Che so I would expect that it will hold till Jan. As Carlos the Slackal, says it IS known for being sunny, and so plenty sunscreen is always a bonus. I would also +1 the 'nice cruisy pistes' and you also get the added advantage of treeline skiing in the event of the weather closing in and it being snowy. Have had some great days up at Monetier on the lower slopes skiing in new powder with nobody around but us. Bliss snowHead Generally the snow is better at the Monetier end of the resort as it is the highest point. Some great blues, reds and blacks at that end, and a nice new mountain resto at Bachas. Lots of fun to be had round Ratier in the Chantemerle sector.

There are few if any of the d word in the resort [drag lifts that is] and on the whole they've been upgrading the lifts so quite a lot of the creaky backside skelper lifts are now gone. At the end of Jan, and in March I'd expect you to experience no queues at all [except if you hit the Pontillas gondola when the Club Med folks are uploading en masse which is usually 9.30 and 2.30 in the day].

We first went to Serre Che over 15 years ago when I was a very nervous beginnery/low intermediate, and we have gone back pretty much every year since then, sometimes twice. Still not skied everywhere either yet.

For ski schools should you wish them I'd put a vote in for Gavin at Ski NewGen. http://www.skinewgen.com/resorts/serre-chevalier/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
howie, I think my friend MarjMJ has already said most of it. There are still some drags, but you can avoid them without missing out on anything. Many of those 'backside skelpers' (love the analogy M) have been replaced with high speed chairs. I've been going there for at least the last 12 years. Loved it so much we bought somewhere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
howie,

Fab place, you will love it!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995402

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82251

chemistry
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, I best get booking snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gavin at New Gen+1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gavin at New Gen +2!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love Serre Che, but be careful about your route home, we brought a beginner there a couple of years back, took the run home (think its called the Bez? Busy, icy, and not for learners, hurt herself and that was the end of her holiday.

Love serre che tho!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Differnt venue, but we had a lady fall over and hurt herself in Bregenzerwald one year.
So we took her to hospital in Bregenz and they fitted her our with 1/2 cwt. of plaster. around her chest and arm.

When she got back to her regular doctor in Darmstadt he said there had never been a break there and someone was having a bit of a joke!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

At the end of Jan, and in March I'd expect you to experience no queues at all

depends when in March - French school holidays for the first two weeks, best avoided if you have the choice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
Differnt venue, but we had a lady fall over and hurt herself in Bregenzerwald one year.
So we took her to hospital in Bregenz and they fitted her our with 1/2 cwt. of plaster. around her chest and arm.

When she got back to her regular doctor in Darmstadt he said there had never been a break there and someone was having a bit of a joke!!!!

This is not uncommon in all ski resorts, the standard of medical care ishiguro and miss to say the least, and the default is stick it in a plaster
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy