Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive from Nice to Pra Loup / Allos / Barcelonnette

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I'd appreciate some advice from you kind folks who know the southern alps and moutain passes around Isola, Allos and Pra Loup.

My sister has married into a French family who are organising an xmas big family get together in Barcelonnette with Skiing in the resort - Pra Loup - which is nice!

Unfortunately, the French side have not given me the right advice so I've booked fly drive from Nice when it seems that Marseille was the way better choice. It now seems that the mountainous Nice route direct to Barcelonnette which is only 90 miles, may be closed or treacherous during winter north of Isola. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Alternatives seems to be via Guillaumes or Allos. Again mountainous - about 3-3.5 hours drive. I am not so bothered about a slow journey through windy roads but I am more concerned about road closures and safety as I will be renting a front wheel drive french 7 seater (with chains of course but unlikely to have snow tyres) when I have driven many times to the northern alps from the UK in my own 4wd and never had any problems.

The Frenchies are now telling me to drive from Nice to Aix En Provence and then drive up as it is mostly motorway but seems ridiculous as 90 miles now becomes 226 miles taking some 5 hours.

Can anyone give me some advice please? Are those mountain routes likely to be closed during xmas/winter and maybe I should look at taking a hit and rebooking flights at twice the price from Marseille?

Many thanks for helping a desparate bloke who thought he was an excellent motoring holiday planner....!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lazyskier, I have only been to Pra Loup once but the road between there and Allos was closed, it looked to be for the winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
lazyskier, I have only been to Pra Loup once but the road between there and Allos was closed, it looked to be for the winter.

thanks Ris for responding. It seems that you are starting to confim my worst fears!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs wrote:

It is a ski run in the winter !

The direct route is via the col de la Bonette, which is already closed with snow.

best airports are Marseille as you said, or even Turin.

However your French friends are incorrect. Either go via the N202 to join the autoroute at Chateau Arnoux. The road is fast and is in the valley so doesn't gain much altitude and is generally snow free in the winter or drive to Brignolles and rejoin the autoroute at Cadarache.

You could also take a helicopter taxi from Nice.

It is always called Pra "bloody" Loup by tour operators because of the nightmare of organising transfers, always a problem. They generally transfer guests via Turin.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had a taxi from Nice to Pra Loup. Went via the back road and it took ages and was constant twisty turns which made one of our party very sick. On the way back the taxi went straight down the Autoroute towards Marseille, which took the same time and was a breeze. So I would definitely go that way.
I'd go back to Pra Loup if the journey was easier. It's a great resort and not in the major Tour ops brochures. Nice restaurant attached to the ice rink when we were there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lazyskier,
Have a look at Viamichelin: http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps
They show which mountain passes are regularly closed for winter and in which months.
I don't think you have to go as far as Aix to join the motorway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Michael B, wyspa thanks for your help. I'll check these out now.

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi. I know that this thread was started some years ago now, but I am making the exact same trip to Praloup in Feb next year. And id love to know how you got on in the end.
I have organised a car at Nice airport and am wondering what my best route is to Praloup at that time of year?

Any help would be appreciated.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowheads, @Fynnzo, and congratulations on finding this highly relevant thread to post your query. Hope it goes well! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These southern resorts would be so much more appealing if only they had decent (cheap) shared transfer options from the nearest airports.

Granted most of these resorts are still a long way from any airport but still...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy