Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN setting screws, should I wind them off?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon everyone
I've just adjusted my new (to me anyway) skis to fit my boots. Moved the rear clip to the right place and set to the recommended DIN numbers (6 in my case) front and rear. No problems so far. When I set them to the right number, I had to make several turns to get to the right number.
This got me thinking, should I back the screws off when I put them away at the end of the season? For example, unscrew as far as possible so the spring does not sit under tensions for months on end?
Thanks for your advice.
Paul
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderjon has proven that it makes no difference, he has a set in which he loosens off 1 binding each year, but keeps the other one tight. And after several years they're still testing to be the same.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are two schools of thought, one the it makes no difference, the other to slacken them off, I know one very large hire shop in Chamonix that slacken all their bindings off before putting them away for the summer.

I leave mine.

PS did you set the forward pressure.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As mag1882 says, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2043421#2043421
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mag1882 and jbob: Thanks for the feed back. At work we always back the torque wrenches off at the end of each shift to avoid spring set. But I'm going to leave the bindings as they are, not slacken them off.

jbob: I moved the rear mount into the correct position so it just cleared the boot heel. Snapped the boot into place and turned the screw to 6. Then went to the front setting and wound that into 6 as well. Is that correct?

Thanks guys

Paul
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sonflowerinwales, it might be, but every binding has a final fine adjustment on the boot length that sets the forward pressure, you maybe lucky and have it right but as it can screw up the DIN it's worth finding out the way it is set/measured on your type of binding. Worst case a shop will check it and shouldn't charge much as it only takes a minute, plus they might show you how to do it. It should be on the manufactures web site too.

Just an after thought, some rail type bindings also have a forward and back adjustment on the toe which is done first to centre the boot using the centre lines on the boot and ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sonflowerinwales, The din setting has no effect on the forward pressure release setting. Find binding instruction sheet on line, on it will be how to set forward pressure release and how to check, finger in a window, bolt level or in a grid at rear of binding etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have found the bindings set up sheet online, and you are correct, there is a grid thing at the rear. When I get back later I'll have another look at the skis.
Cheers
Paul
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update...
I think I've sorted it. Behind the rear binding is an arrowy thing and some limit marks. Moved the rear forward one notch and now it's between the indicators. I've also set the toe width and the boot toe height. Re-checked the DIN settings and still set at 6.
Looks like I'm good to go......
Thanks for your help and advice.
Paul
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy