Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race kids 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
spud, just let me know if you are around in the summer!! be more than happy to use your skills!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gryphea wrote:
spud,

All sounds great. Thought you would kind of get a different experience.

Watchout for the local wildlife..........

Laughing Will do...they do like to stalk you here. So far i've encountered Cougars of both variaties, Elk, Deer and Moose of both variaties... Laughing

ISKAR.... If i'm around in the summer, i'll contact you, it would be a pleasure. Hope it's a big success... Cool [/b]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gryphea wrote:
Okanagan,

So any more races then?
Another couple of international/open races in Austria - 15th and 11th in age group but large entries and a high standard races so that wasn't far off. Then 4th/5th/5th in the Les Houches races. Can't compete with the kind of results Gillian's posted but I think all those who were ahead of him in his group have had the advantage of being out training for full seasons, so happy with that. Back home, and back to school now though :(
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A full season out ski training would be a dream to Robert! He's never ever had a season out anywhere. A week out on snow just before a snowrace if he's lucky and our pocket can support it! rolling eyes Of course.... the weekly 2hr ski race training at Hemel ski race club with Jon Reidy and the dryland strength and conditioning training at Performance Hertfordshire contribute too! School work is of mighty importance! Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Phew, we finally got a night off. Schedule has been:

Tue 8/1: SL training
Wed 9/1: GS training, Wyllerløypa (bigger, steeper hill 20mins away)
Thu 10/1: SL training
Fri 11/1: GS race and a couple of hours freeskiing
Sat 12/1: Freesking with friends, 5hrs
Sun 13/1: Freesking with friends, 3.5hrs
Mon 14/1: SG training
Tue 15/1: SL training

... all at Kolsåsbakken unless stated overwise. They had cross country skiing at school today, plus he banged his angle up a bit yesterday, so he dropped a planned visit to another local hill to ski with classmates this evening. And this is the boy who didn't know if he could be bothered a couple of months ago Wink Latest is that he'd rather drop football and do more of the dryland programme when the summer months arrive.

Training tomorrow, then 3 days racing, then onto next week's training, but at least we have a couple of race free weekends coming up, before shooting off to Hafjell/Kvitfjell for the half term week. Really looking forward to a week away with family and friends, skiing 100% for fun and pleasure. Hopefully we'll find some powder, and we'll definitely be in the wooded trails.

Last week's Friday Cup race is probably best assigned to the history books - Harald was a fair bit off the pace and not happy about it. His skiing is great to look at, but he's lacking a bit of aggression and generally cutting a pretty wide line. But that's what training is for, I guess.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
squawker,

Sounds really busy!

We are in the usaul routine of skiing Sat and SUnday at Nakika and one evening at COP. For U12 the Naksika dyas would generally have a half day of course each day, recently KK and GS to prepare for first race and techncial free skiing in afternoon. Occasionally a full day of differnt courses. Even full course days have quite a lot of free skiing in between to get to and from course

U10 is usually technical drills in Am and technical free skiing in pm with occasional go at U12 course. U10 does gates mid week, U12 only occasionally do gates mid week

U12 ramping up for big provinicial series race at Jasper next weekend. This has switched format and so it will be intresting. Last year it was best 2 of 4 runs at GS and SL. This year is one run at a GS course, one run at a differnt GS course , ditto for KK. Hence 4 separate events, but less actually racing, than last year. Also its not clear their will be age medals either. We'll se how it goes. Son still only has SL skis, GS should arrive tomorrow, so we'll see how he works out in them. COach told him he only needed SL at beginning of year (before he saw him ski) based on his size. Now he's seen him ski, he needs GS , for safety reasons as he's right on his edges and SL has way too much side cut and is too short for stability, his knee is chattering apparently.

Its clear we do way less racing than in Europe.........

Quote:

Latest is that he'd rather drop football and do more of the dryland programme when the summer months arrive.

My son wants to be a world cup ski racer when he grows up, all winter, but last summer he wanted to be a premier league football player. Such a simple wonderful life!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yeah, that's more like it - 2nd place in a decent field and totally on his game. Happy Dad, happy Harald.

200 racers tonight, and I only lost two runtimes. Not bad, especially after some ****** ran down my timing cable and chopped it in two. 10mins of minor panic before I decided to go wireless at the finish line.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And crash, back down to earth. GS on Saturday, DNF1. SL today - great 1st run, skied really well to 8th place in a very competitive field, then DSQ2. Screwed up the exit from a 3 gate flush and turned between the closing pole and the next gate. Which he knew was wrong - gotta stay on the ball. He was one of the last to start in the 2nd run and the wind was bitingly cold. The two kids in front of him both fell causing delays. Then he had a couple of hairy moments in some bulletproof steeps, but he kept it together and things were looking ok until suddenly it was all over. A hamburger was needed to quell the disappointment!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
squawker,

Do you do all the timing then?

Just as a matter of interest what % kids ski race from the genreal population? IS it one of the top winter sports?

GS skis have arrived. Decent outing on them yesterday on a really tough practice course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gryphea,

Sometimes it feels like I do all the timing, but its not quite that bad.... I think there are four of us in the club that know the Alge Timing Computer well enough to run the races. Responsibility for the races is divided up between the different age groups. We're trying to teach one or two parents in each age group to use the system, but we've been struggling to bring new blood on board. Harald is U12 but follows the training programme for U14, so I have a foot in at least two camps, plus I know the hardware side of things (cabling etc.) better than anyone else, so I guess I get asked more than than most. Last Friday the three other experienced guys were all away for the weekend with older kids at a qualifying cup (qualifier for Topolino and Whistler) so it fell to me again.

I enjoy doing the timing, although its quite a responsibility - always nervous before the start.

Top winter sports would be cross country skiing and handball. There's also some hockey and rink bandy, biathlon, a bit of ski jumping. I guess most kids do some alpine skiing each winter, but only a small proportion are actually part of a training or race programme. Wouldn't know percentages, but Harald is the only one of 60 in his grade at school that you could say races. The alpine WC is very popular on the TV, but not as much as xc and biathlon.

Good luck with the GS skis. Very happy with H's Heads for this season - torsionally stiff, but longitudinally quite soft, so 165 wasn't such a big step up as it could have been. And as H says, they're glued to the snow, just like Heads should be. This week we might even get to train some GS now that there's plenty of snow on the hill - been mostly SL so far.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
squawker,

C got heads too. They also look great as he has the head boots too! He seems to have slotted right into them; but his first race is sat so he hasn't really got enough miles on them, but still better on those than on his slalom. He's on 144s!! His Sl are only 130. He is a great technical skier, the best in his u12 group really, but he's not the best racer. Hopefully the length and extra weight on the skis may get him a little more speed. He only ways 61lbs, so quite few boys are packing 40lbs on him. Sadly for him both me and OH were late growers, but OH ended up as ^ 6 1 1/2, so he will grow but not until 15 I reckon.

Racing sounds about the same as here then. There always seema lot of kids but then most live in Clagary which is a very large city. Again I think C is the only one in his grade racing competitively.

Hockey is the biggey here that outpunhes anything else, but with soccer having a huge participation base too
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

dryland strength and conditioning training at Performance Hertfordshire contribute too!

And a credit to the Hemel Ski Race Club he is for embracing fitness training at his age, wish we could get more to do it. ps Dan is no slouch either !!

Not to steal Gillians thunder but Rob took 2nd in the Czech national champs representing GB well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Thanks for your support Scott! .......Would you like to be my PA? LOL!! Yes indeed... Very proud Mama Poth. Robert had an exceptional race result today skiing for GB in the Czech Republic. All his fitness work all year round is paying off!

Just wish we could either win the lottery or find a very nice sponsor for him so he continue into FIS next year!! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gillian,

Great news! I thought there was a slight possibility of GB funding for some juniors?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gryphea, No idea? You seem to know more than me all the way over in Calgary!! Would be nice though if you're part of the some?
ski holidays
Gillian,

Plugboy has always said some of the juniors are currently being funded. Do a search, there's loads of posts I think. SOmething to do with David Gower's nephew!.
latest report
gryphea, Only the Junior girls (FIS/EC team) are having their coach & his expenses paid for. The rest of the juniors are all funding themselves. All the boys are on their own private programmes or with an academy of some sort. None get any funding from BSS. Just like the Senior mens/womens WC speed teams. TJ, Dougie & Chemmy are all fundsing themselves without anything from BSS (apart from the team clothing & use of an old team van in Europe)
Gillian, Well done to Robert in all his results. If you want to stay in the British system in Juniors then don't let him be any good at Speed events, BSS dont want to know! Even in Tech there isnot much help either. Big private sponsors are the only way to be able to carry on, or be megga wealthy!
snow report
Plugboy,

So why only the girls?
ski holidays
Not a bad day yesterday at the 51. Ski Inter Kriterium in the Czech Republic! Competing for Great Britain Robert WON both runs of u16 Slalom and won the race overall by 0.43 secs.Robert has made GB ski racing history! There is a nice press release on the BSS website but I don't have the link on my fiddly phone!
Happy
ski holidays
Gillian,

Very impressive. Congratulations to him,
snow report
Gillian, That's a great result. You must be very proud.
ski holidays
Almost did the double today with his results in the Giant Slalom at the Ski Interkriterium, Czech Republic. Robert zoomed to 2nd place overall and posted the fastest 2nd run time. Ricky in the Czech Republic has been fantastic. The top of the mountain resembled Narnia!
latest report
So the boys are back from provincials in Jasper and had a really fun if tiring weekend. The roads were good, so it was about 4hrs 15 to get there. It wasn't too cold (Jasper can be in Jan).

The race run was tough with a really tough pitch that took out some skiers and it got pretty rutted (slightly too high percentage DNFs, OH said there were lots of tears), as there were around 240 kids (maybe 140 boys) , all in U12 category (ie 10 and 11 year olds), pretty much most clubs in province took part (including Pano who are based in BC but race in Alberta) with maybe far south ones being exception.

Son is 10 and it was fairly tough as he was competing with 11 year old boys (first year of no age medals) , he is small anyway and some of them are giants (girls too).

He did well. Sat was Kinder Combi and he seems to have been 38 overall and 56 overall (two different courses). Both equate to around 10th in his age category for boys. Apparently the courses were pretty much like a GS course, which is shame as they raced it on their slaloms and his are small (as he is small).

Sunday was GS Sunday morning he had a really good race , came 9th of the all the boys, 19th overall. That equated to 2nd in his age category for boys.

Sunday afternoon we don't know how he did as the results aren't up and live timing didn't seem to work at all. Clearly not in the top ten for all boys, but we'll see how he did against his age category and overall when the results come out.

The girls in the province seem to rock, but some are enormous too.

Overall he was really pleased to be consistently in the top ten for boys his age (gien the field) and a top ten for boys overall (2nd in age) is really great.

Red Deer next in 4 weeks; this will be slalom and KK. Slalom may be more his thing as his weight counts agaisnt him less, and even makes him more agile.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
And a credit to the Hemel Ski Race Club he is for embracing fitness training at his age, wish we could get more to do it.
It's not always easy to get a programme aimed at skiing even if you want to. oski does fitness training (focussing more on agility) with his tennis coach, and more stamina focussed training with cross-country running and now triathlon. But its more a case of finding complementary sports which cover all angles than a specific ski programme.
latest report
gryphea,

Sounds like a great weekend. Well done to your lad.

Harald didn't race this weekend and won't next weekend either. Of course, he was skiing with his mates Friday evening and both Saturday and Sunday, but I just drive them there and let them get on with it. Lots of kickers and boxes and big jumps and step ups as far as I can tell. Next weekend there is what I guess you call a KK, but based on experience the course will be very boring, easy backwards and forwards, going from very tight to slightly less tight and back again - Harald's not especially keen and his buddy is away for the weekend, so maybe we'll do some family stuff instead.

SL training tonight, and there should be a GS course for veterans/adults/parents/old farts, like me.
snow report
squawker,

GS for oldies sounds great. I often wish our club would provide a coach occasionally.

KK is suddenly big here follwoing Alberta Alpine's restructuring. Not entirely sure why. Its really combo SL and GS.

C's club have a SkiCross training day on friday as most of the schools are off. I haven't really decided whether C will go. Ski Cross scares me, anything with more than 1 kid is scarey, so we will see.

The coach announced his team did well at the weekend following digestion of th results. Its true in that most kids were in overall top 100, ie first half to a third of the pack. He has announced they need to take more risks to podium Risk doesn't sit well with my son, so we'll see how he responds.

Its a chilly one for training tonight:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0049

The U10s don't ski if the predicted high is less than -20. The U12s are hardcore, arm themselves with warmers, masks etc and still go.
ski holidays
gryphea,

We had a skicross camp this weekend, with Hedda Berntsen (former WC skier and Norway's best female skicross racer). Harald and Kristoffer got a couple of runs, even though they were on their twintips. Our hill actually staged the Norwegian skicross championships last year, which was quite a feather in their cap. It is of course utter madness - four lunatics on GS skis going hell for leather against each other.

We're going through a warm patch, but at least this evening it looks like we'll be on the cold side of freezing and no rain/snow...

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Akershus/B%C3%A6rum/Kols%C3%A5s_skisenter/
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:
squawker,

GS for oldies sounds great. I often wish our club would provide a coach occasionally.

KK is suddenly big here follwoing Alberta Alpine's restructuring. Not entirely sure why. Its really combo SL and GS.

C's club have a SkiCross training day on friday as most of the schools are off. I haven't really decided whether C will go. Ski Cross scares me, anything with more than 1 kid is scarey, so we will see.

The coach announced his team did well at the weekend following digestion of th results. Its true in that most kids were in overall top 100, ie first half to a third of the pack. He has announced they need to take more risks to podium Risk doesn't sit well with my son, so we'll see how he responds.

Its a chilly one for training tonight:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0049

The U10s don't ski if the predicted high is less than -20. The U12s are hardcore, arm themselves with warmers, masks etc and still go.

Funny you should mention KK courses.

I set one on Saturday. The kids really thrive at that age on them. They learn a lot. Great if you have a slope with various rollers and pitches to work on.

If anyone is not sure what they are, this is what they look like...

http://youtube.com/v/XlHZ2Jps87o

The Philosophy behind it is that it meets developmental needs for this age group, creating a tactical
awareness by blending sections of different gates in a flowing, rhythmical, constantly changing pattern.

It certainly creates confidence.

I then move the more aggresive and confident kids onto SL and GS.

Seems to be working and they are all skiing with a smile on their face Razz

As for weather... it's minus 24 today with a windchill up top of minus 41... not so nice. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As for weather... it's minus 24 today with a windchill up top of minus 41... not so nice

Yup tonights training has been cancelled. Coach felt he had to as U14 coach cancelled!

Its the wind thats the killer.
latest report
spud,

I'm sure KK is great for the youngsters if the course represents a fun challenge to them, the way you describe it. We haven't seen it much over here to be honest.
Our rationale for dropping this particular race is that past experience points at a course which is aimed at getting all the 8-9 y.o.s down the hill, rather than challenging U12s who cross block SL gates at will and race GS on 165s. Anyway, its the mother-in-law's birthday on Saturday, so we won't have to rush from the ski slope to the restaurant via the shower Very Happy

We just came through a cold snap - training SG in speed suits in -20C was a chilly affair, but right now we're bobbling around freezing with fresh snow again overnight.

gryphea,
Only got in three runs in the GS gates last night, but that was plenty to feel it in the legs and get the heart and lungs pounding. What fun - wish I was a kid again and could learn to do it properly. Even when I feel fast I know I don't stand a chance against Harald!
ski holidays
squawker,

Here KK is a big feature on the U14 circuit as well as U12. I kind of feel slightly like you. Its the two styles of gate thing and the different turns on the same skis. Here the SL gates are stubbies at U12 anyway as they don't race full SL gates.
snow conditions
First race for U10s tomorrow. Dual slalom at Sunshine. Its going to be quite warm as it has been here recently. I volunteered so I'm finish referee which I've never been before, not even really sure what I have to do!
snow report
gryphea wrote:
squawker,
Just as a matter of interest what % kids ski race from the genreal population? IS it one of the top winter sports?

I was chatting with a guy yesterday who sells Head race gear, among other products, and he reckoned there were about 5000 active racers in Norway, in all age groups. Approximately 5000 skiers who need race gear. That's from a population of almost exactly 5 million. Which by my reckoning is 0.1% of the population. A fairly meaningless number I suppose but there you go.

Also, I was counting up the number of ski clubs in and around Oslo where we live and compete, and came to 19. There may be a couple I've forgotten too. Assuming they have an average of 100 active racers each, which is a very conservative guess for some, but may flatter a couple of the smaller clubs, then at least 40% of the racers (probably >50% in reality) are centred around the capital. We're spoilt by the number of small local ski centres, but its quite a drive to the real mountains.
ski holidays
squawker, Intersting, thanks for the update

So the Sunshine race was OK, daughter got a good time in am , but missed a gate in pm which ruled her out of anything. Also new this year were no age ribbons, which is pretty tough age 8. So only 1 8 year old girl featured in top ten and she was 9th. A little disheartening when you are that age. Also there were way too many kids, last year they got 4 runs and 2 best counted. This year two runs and they both counted. Not a great format.

This weekedn REd Deer for the U12s . Second provincial race, KK and SL. So a new expereince for us River Valley skiing , which is apparently boilerplate and cold.
snow conditions
River valley skiing was interesting. It was tough, steep pitches and giant rollers. The hill was better than I thought, but it was weird getting there. You sort of drive through flat farmer's fields on gravel roads and you come to this ranch type sign saying ' Canyon ski resort', then suddenly you descend very steeply into the river valley and the runs are down the side of there, pretty much ending at the river.

Red Deer , the local city, is obviosuly a place between other places that get lots of sport tournaments etc, I bumped into a friend at our hotel breakfast there for 'cheer'

So Sat was 2 KKs and Sun was 2 SLs. The conditions were very tough, especially for the boys, who go after the girls as it was warmish and the ruts got giant, kind of like moguls. The first KK was set to be really tricky and only 50 of the 95 boys made it down

Son did OK, he came 11th , 1th, 22nd and 31st overall which equated to 2nd, 2nd, 5th and 6th for boys his age. So his age results were good, but he was disappointed he didn't make an overall top ten.

Onwards. We have a race at our hill this weekend, its just a zone race and so our U12s are only doing the first day which is timed runs on SX. They have opted to miss the Sunday dual KK to train GS as the next provincial (final of 3) is in a couple of weeks (GS and SL). Here they are very aware of the ratio of training days to race days and they don't like to have too many race days. U10s will race the dual KK on sunday too. Daughter is excited, especially as unlike her last race, they will give age ribbons.

Any more updates from over the pond?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy