Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are skis boots prohibited in hand luggage in Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Are skis boots prohibited in hand luggage in Geneva airport, or is it OK to bring em thru

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had no problem carrying them through in hand luggage last season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No. I used GVA last month with boots in my hand luggage and security didn't care.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on the airline - I've taken my boots (in a boot bag) in hand luggage to/from GVA with BA every year for the last few years. There's certainly no airport-enforced policy stopping you.

Have heard mixed reports about budget/charter airlines though - there was a story on here last year about someone wearing their boots on the flight as a check-in clerk for EasyJet (I think) wouldn't allow them as carry-on baggage.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems not to be a problem for the airport, it is the individual TO or airline that shuns boots in the plane. If your boots are in a bootbag they notice them, if they are in ordinary wheely cases or a rucksack that of course is of correct dimensions rolling eyes they don't see them. Your luggage gets x-rayed by airport staff not the airline or TO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dublin2, As said elsewhere, no problem at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Put em in a rucksack, no-one will notice. Security is employed by the airport not your carrier. Make sure they fit the gauge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dublin2, If you are with Aerlingus, no hassle at all. With or without Bootbag. Budget airlines are different but as above just use a non boot bag carry on and you will be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just happened to read some Easyjet small print which says "Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage ". Quite probably one can get away with it but they have it in print if they choose to get stroppy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
took boots in bootbag as hand luggage with ba to innsbruck yesterday. no issue at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Farley Goode, how are they going to find out?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was flying BMI Baby (now defunct) from East Mids to Geneva with a pair of plastic mountaineering boots in my hand luggage in February this year. The check in staff were not aware of them because my hand luggage was not a boot bag. The security staff spotted them on xray, and told me that if I was flying BMI Baby I would not be able to take them as hand luggage. I was aware of the 'no ski boots' rule, so I quickly explained that they were mountaineering boots, not ski boots, and they let me through.

So it is not always true that the security staff don't care about ski boots in your hand luggage. However I have flown from Luton and Geneva several times with mountaineering and ski boots in my hand luggage, and never had a problem.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 16-12-12 12:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oceanic, wear them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would you want to????
Boots in suitcase, simples
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
Why would you want to????
Boots in suitcase, simples

Because suitcases go missing more often than hand-luggage. No skis, no clothes = hassle. No boots = disaster.
snow report
shep wrote:
No boots = disaster.

I used to carry my boots in my handluggage, but now I've started putting them in my hold bags, and simply carrying my custom insoles with me on the journey. Sometimes I switch them with the insoles in my trainers and carry them on my feet!

I figure that hire boots wouldn't be so bad if I had my custom insoles inside them.
snow report
I've gone to putting my liners in my hand luggage and my boots stuffed with socks, gloves goggles etc in my ski bag, Into my liners goes all the misc loose crap that usually gets lost in the bottom of my pack . . . chargers, cables, camera, batteries etc.

It keeps stuff together and protected in both cases.
latest report
Oceanic, you clearly don't have feet like mine then.

A great deal of time and effort gets spent getting my boots to fit properly.

Rental boots just don't even come close.

As Shep says, if you are heading on a holiday, especially f'rinstance an expensive one, you don't want to have to compromise on boots.

Skis however, you can probably hire adeqiate.
snow conditions
There was a guy getting on an EJ flight at GVA last week when I was there with his boots hung around his neck.
ski holidays
Why on earth would anyone object to putting ski boots in hand luggage? If the size of the bag is acceptable then whats the issue? Are they some kind of new terrorist weapon that can bring down a 737? I'm going with Thomson (Well..Crystal actually!) and it was my intention to take them as hand luggage in a boot bag, starting to think twice now, dont want to be "That guy" swearing, red faced and unpacking his undies at the check in desk.
ski holidays
sted wrote:
Why on earth would anyone object to putting ski boots in hand luggage? If the size of the bag is acceptable then whats the issue? Are they some kind of new terrorist weapon that can bring down a 737? I'm going with Thomson (Well..Crystal actually!) and it was my intention to take them as hand luggage in a boot bag, starting to think twice now, dont want to be "That guy" swearing, red faced and unpacking his undies at the check in desk.

I'm guessing it's the risk of 6kg+ of metal and plastic falling out of an overhead locker and clonking someone on the head. Mine go in my hold luggage - never lost them yet. Darn I've jinxed it now Toofy Grin
snow report
I've never heard of people having trouble taking skis as hand luggage. The only thing is, at size 13, I worry that mine might not fit easily into an overhead locker...!
snow conditions
Hi,
I flew back from Geneva with easy jet this weekend. Plenty of people were carrying boot bags as hand luggage on the flight. I paid for ski carriage and was able to check in a ski bag and a boot bag, which made life a lot easier. They don't seem to advertise the fact that ski carriage actually includes a boot bag too.
ski holidays
cps26 said
Quote:

I've never heard of people having trouble taking skis as hand luggage.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
cps26 said
Quote:

I've never heard of people having trouble taking skis as hand luggage.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy

Good spot! I think we'd all struggle to get skis in the overhead lockers!! snowHead
snow conditions
sted, It's quite simple: most people on the GVA route will be skiers/boarders and so they can charge a premium for this. They either go in your hold baggage allowance, or go separately as sports kit. It's just way of making money. Sleazyjet has no hand-baggage weight restriction, and many hand cases/bags are hardshell so it's nothing to do with hazard.

Sometimes the airport staff pick up on airline rules, sometimes they don't. I once (and never again) flew Jet2 to Chambéry with ski boots as hand-baggage, no problem. On return, they were "not permitted". They wouldn't let me add them to my case - saying they were sports equipment and needed to be charged as such. I put my shoes in my hand baggae and wore them. Not much they could say. They weren't impressed. (I swapped back to shoes once on the plane).
latest report
Stumbler wrote:
sted, I put my shoes in my hand baggae and wore them. Not much they could say. They weren't impressed. (I swapped back to shoes once on the plane).

Haha! Brilliant solution, not sure I'd have the nerve though! Very Happy
snow report
sted wrote:
Stumbler wrote:
sted, I put my shoes in my hand baggae and wore them. Not much they could say. They weren't impressed. (I swapped back to shoes once on the plane).

Haha! Brilliant solution, not sure I'd have the nerve though! Very Happy

BTDT Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand wrote:
I'm guessing it's the risk of 6kg+ of metal and plastic falling out of an overhead locker and clonking someone on the head.

Indeed. 6kg of ski boot weighs a lot more than 6kg of booze, laptop and coat, for example.
snow conditions
We're flying Birmingham to Geneva Jan 5th with Monarch and boot bags as hand luggage is not allowed...

Size restriction on hand luggage of 56x40x25cm, 5kg. Hold luggage 20kg max.
ski holidays
It really seems to depend on the staff you come across - Ive seen people on flights with ski boots slung around their necks, who just throw them into the overhead locker without a bag. But Ive also heard stories such as the ones above. My tour operators words were 'Easyjet are pretty good' about allowing boot bags as hand luggage. I was tempted to take my boot bag as carry on and only check in skis (only go for three days so not as many pants needed as for a week) but now I think Im going to take a small suitcase to check in, with boots packed inside. Will save all the stress of wondering if I can get away with it! Definately cant check boot bag, ski bag, suitcase and carry on ruc suc - I wont be able to carry it all by myself! And boot bag and ski bag count as one if they are under the weight limit, so if packed with other stuff and over weight its double the charges. need to find some scales!
snow report
Quote:

need to find some scales!

Just ordered these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Weighing-Luggage-Suitcase-Fishing/dp/B002MUS34Q?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Brilliant - at that price how could I not? Now I won't worry about packing the extra items that I might just need every time I go on holiday. Thanks!
snow report
Security guard, "excuse me sir, would those be ski boots in your executive case?"

Foolish snowhead, "I don't know what you mean, I was only asked to take it on board by a nice looking Afghani chap who smelled rather liked my old dorm room. Is there a problem occifer?

No, of course that stuff that looks like old bisto cubes isn't mine!"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy