Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Shockwave - sizing question for a lower intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys! I need to get my first pair of skis, and can get brand new K2 Shockwaves with 250 dollars in 170 or 177 cm. The problem is, i've only skied 2 weeks in my life, all last year. I seemed to progress pretty fast, especially in Bansko, Bulgaria where I managed to ski all the blue and red runs (including a FIS Women World Cup Run, which was pretty steep). Not ventured into the blacks though, they go up to 73% degree (Tomba slope).

I can parallel, (without much style), and felt the ski rail in on a carve but not linking more than hybrid skidded towards carvish turns. No proper carving yet. I can vary turns but lack high speed confidence and technique. Started using the poles especially on steeps.

Would the Shockwave be a nice ski to make me advance and enjoy? I've learned on Elan Flow 4.1 168 cm skis. They were very maneuverable, but a bit trembeling when having 40 mph+ speeds (on straights any way).

Would the 170 cm Shockwave feel more stable, or should I go full 177 cm. Will it be hard to edge?

Thanks a lot!

Tudor
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? I get to choose between the Shockwaves in 170 or 177 cm or the Atomic Nomad Smoke Ti in 171 cm!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dovil, Post your height and weight. If your 5'2 and 8st or 6' and 13st you need very diff length skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry about that! I really thought I posted it! I'm 6'1 (185 cm) and 190 lbs (85 Kg).

Thanx a bunch!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I were you I'd go longer to the 177cm. Shorter skis are easy to turn and fun but longer skis are more stable at speed. At your height and weight you should have no problem initiating the turn and as your taking lessons to learn how to carve you may well outgrow a shorter ski quickly. At this stage in your skiing 7cm will probably not be noticed.
If the choice is buy skis or lessons I would definately get lessons and continue renting for a while. While it is nice to have your own skis it is not always cost efficient unless your going skiing at least a couple of time a year, remember your not just buying skis, you have to get the bindings mounted and the DIN settings done at a shop (I assume as a self confessed amateur you will get this done by a professional) then you have to pay for air carriage and get them serviced now and again.
If you have to budget for your holiday I would hold off on buying skis for a while and concentrate on lessons and getting a few more weeks under your belt. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are definitely buying, I'd go for 170s. You are a fair way off pushing the length of your skis to get stability at speed - and to get rid of the speed judder just get a stiffer ski or lean into an edge a little.

The question I have to ask is what you are doing at 40mph+ (is that measured, or from a GPS?) when you haven't mastered parallel turns - how would you stop if you encountered an unexpected hazard, even if you saw it from some distance away?

What I would suggest is that you spend the ski money on tuition. You'll get massively more out of whatever skis you end up buying once you've had a few more hours of coaching to get your turns nailed, and a whole world of skis will be opened up to you that simply wouldn't be appropriate at this point. A week on snow with that kind of focus could take you from the skis you are looking at into a completely different stiffness, length and width choice than you are making now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dovil, Properly fitted boots should be your first purchase, then as lilywhite, states more lessons, rent skis, then try different skis on holiday when you have improved. what you need now to help progress will not be what you need even in a few weeks of skiing time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the input you guys! I searched for ski levels and I look a lot like this : http://vimeo.com/insideoutskiing/level-6-early-intermediate

Had an Elan Flow 4.1 168 cm which was borrowed from a friend, now wants it back. Monium, the speed was on a straight line for sure, measured by an Android application using the mobile phone's GPS and other sensors. I did notice that I was among the fast blue run skiers, and slow towards average on the red slopes I skied. I tend to skid the end of turns to loose speed, and I can do a fairly ok hockey stop. I mean, I don't use the snow plow anymore at all. Also started using the ski poles to try to emulate some rythm, but sometimes when I feel confident on a gentler slope, and try some longer turns with more speed (at least for me) I start spreading more and not really touch the ground with the stick, just point it where i want the next apex to be.

I know about renting, and have thought about it, but the K2 Shockwaves are brand new for 200 euro, which I think is a very tempting price. I plan on 2 ski trips this season (French Paradiski and Bansko Bulgaria) and some week-ends on the local resort of Poiana Brasov Romania.

Will the video posted in the first line help clear the picture? Thank you so much for all your trouble!

Tudor
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately the video won't play !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowheads auto embedded the video but vimeo won't work embedded. Just click on the vimeo link below it, it will work!

Or use this link : http://vimeo.com/45249720
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, what do you guys think? Would the K2 shockwave in 170 or 177 be a better suitor?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy