Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest Car hire at Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just booked an Easter break, flights into Munich. Wondering if anyone has a good car hire firm. Driving to Pitztal, 2.5hrs
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I booked through www.carhire3000.com based on recommendations on here. Have not used them yet but I did seem to get a decent deal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two years ago I used one of the agencies - autoeurope or similar (it may not have been autoeurope - I'm not certain) - and they sent a voucher which you hand over at the airport desk.
We had to wait for something like 2 1/2 hours to sort it all out. We had prepaid for Winter Tyres and they tried to charge us again. With one thing and another it was a mess.
Last year I used Avis. It may not have been the cheapest - I don't know, but it was smooth and efficient. I was sorted out within 5 minutes at most.
If anyone else has specific recommendations for Munich Airport I would love to read them as I go there at least once a year.
I tend to per-book via the internet. I also use quidco (a cash back website) to get a bit of extra discount.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do not use Terstappen ( a rental partner of Dollar / Thrifty )

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90889
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive just done 2 hirings for Munich with Auto Europe, who have put me with Enterprise. I must go through munich 20 times a year and have never found any of them any problems. The only one a couple of weeks ago when I booked using holday autos put me with somone who was off site, so had it changed immediately.
I always use carrentals as the intial search engine.
I dont understand why you would have had a problem with the winter tyres scenario. Everytime I book with winter tyres, it has it on the voucher. If for some reason it hadnt, then ring them, dont wait until you get to the airport.
If youd booked sat nav/baby seat etc, you wouldnt wait until you get there, youd make sure before surely?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jafa, It all got a bit complicated as I was arranging three cars for three drivers and looking for the best deal. The e-mail did say Winter Tyres included - and paid for - but the staff behind the desk said their copy didn't show that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This page lists the car hire firms in the main building (between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2):

http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/anab/mietwagen/anbieter/index.jsp?visit=visit_27164414

If you want to pay peanuts, expect to get monkeys serving you! Apart from the recent experiences of Timberwolf with Terstappen, any of the other firms have good reputations. Holiday Autos and their "bargins" seem to have a pretty poor reputation and an awful lot of sharp practices going by the complaints I have read here. The companies in the main building may not be the cheapest, but they will deliver what was booked and you do not have to travel far to collect the cars (all in underground car parks attached to the Terminal buildings).

I use Sixt a lot when I travel on business and have never had a problem. They are not the cheapest, but one of the most reliable which in the end counts for far more. Europcar I will never use again having been given a smaller car than booked with illegal tyres (I landed late at night and could not check them), but was very lucky to arrive at my hotel in one piece considering they were bald! They then had the temerity to charge me for the replacement I demanded as well as for a tank of fuel when I know we had fill it to the gills before leaving it in the Terminal car park as directed. As I kept copies of everything they eventually refunded everything and offered me a voucher for a weeks hire, which I declined as I have no intention of ever using them again.

If you check with your motoring organisation you may have discounts - I know I do with the ADAC for Sixt and Hertz.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used www.carhire3000.com for rental out of Munich last winter, they put me with Avis at a very competitive rate. No problems, quick collection and very slick return in the muti-story car park, guys with handheld gizmos waiting for you as you drive up, they print off "all clear" receipts in seconds. Winter tyre option much cheaper pre-booked rather than at the counter.
Seems though that all rental vehicles are fitted with winter tyres during the winter, I assume that if you didn't want or need them you got them anyway! Question- could you therefore turn up without taking the winter tyre option and have them anyway for no extra or is it mandatory on car rental?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for www.carhire3000.com. They were by far the cheapest and best when I hired 12 months ago.

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Timberwolf, advice re Terstappen. got done big time by them. I have a post in the link which Timberwolf, give you .Samerberg Sue, you have me a bit worried now as I have booked a 9 seater for jan with enterprise which I think are much the same as europcar. found a code online which gave me about 50eur off and they were already cheaper than anybody else. I will try to find the code again if anybody wants it. but if they are a bit dodgy I would rather go with somebody else and pay a bit more.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beware the off-airport hire partners through carhire3000 though. HA now state clearly which of the choices presented are on-terminal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we always use carhire3000 but we always ring to check who the hire company is and make sure they are on site. One year we got Sixt through carhire 3000 and they were a night mare, so slow and had no interest in dealing with prepaid vouchers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy