Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winterberg and the area around it

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post here so please be gentle Smile

I'm arriving on the ferry at Rotterdam boxing day and want to go skiing for new year.

I'm a decent skier, but for my 4 year old it will be the first time so I just want somewhere with a decent nursery slope (ideally not far from the accomodation or car park!).

I see Winterberg is only about 3 hours from Rotterdam, but the snow is not guaranteed, especially at new year! Do they have snow cannons on the nursery slopes? Will they be on at that time normally?

Or should I forget this area altogether and travel further to get a decent resort?

Thanks for any advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hiaudi321, Welcome to snowheads. I have never been to Winterberg but have Dutch friends that go there. I think there are 2 problems with the area for you - height and crowds. The area is very low and as you surmise, snow cover at
That time of the year is unreliable. Not sure if they have snow canons but if they do it does of course need to be cold enough to operate them. And because it is so near Netherlands and the populated Ruhrgebiet in Germany it can get very crowded at peak periods. My mates see it as a place to go to at a weekend when they need a ski fix but would not want to take a week there (although I remember another snow heads poster a while back saying that they had a ball there). My advice would be to keep on driving to the Alps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
audi321, I skied in Winterberg many years ago when in the RAF and based in Germany.
It was various areas that are fine for spending a few hours on but I agree with pjd, not a place for a weeks sking. I was very much a beginner and it was ideal for that. We used to go up there just for the day when they had just had some new snowfall.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys, I don't care much about the quantity of runs, I'm purely going to teach my 4 year old to ski, so as long as there's a nice wide nursery slope I don't really care about the others. What I am bothered about is the lack of snow, hence my question about snow cannons.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
audi321, the general rule with that area is - you go at very short notice i.e. when there is actually snow!

(if that's a weekend don't - as half the Netherlands and virtually the entire NRW skiing population will be heading there).

Longest lift in the Sauerland area is found in a village called Boedefeld.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterberg is the best known area in Sauerland.
They have massive amounts of snowcannons, just because they can't rely on natural snow.

Problem in most Sauerland slopes is that WHEN there is snow, they are extremely overcrowded with people who think they can ski, but in reality they can't. Unfortunately (shame shame) most of those are... dutch.

So for teaching your 4 year old it's not ideal because he/she could be intimidated by hordes of out-of-control skiers.

Going to the massive indoor slope at Landgraaf, near Aachen and Maastricht.
http://www.snowworld.com/78/Indoor-skipiste-Landgraaf

Try to read this article, even though machine translated
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wintersporters.nl%2Fweblog%2Fbericht%2F2064%2FHoe-sneeuwzeker-is-het-Sauerland%253F%2521
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy