Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Toll Roads - Sanef Automated Toll System

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning to drive for our ski trips this season (at least 2 in France), we now have too much gear for flights Very Happy

Looking at checklists for driving in France (its been a while!) I came across the Sanef web saying it now offered the Automated Toll Payment Service for UK drivers for various fees + tolls (not discounted).

We aren't good at waiting in queues when we could be looking at snow but wonder if the additional cost is worth it, there will be 2 of us in the car so no problem with right hand drive/toll booth handing money across.

We'll be driving on Saturdays, not in February though.

Does anyone have any recent experience with French tolls and thoughts whether this is worth it or not? Any experience using the automated toll system, does it work OK?

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq/support-Faq.List/#1.0.

Thanks
Mac
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depending on the time of travel you may sail straight through, but i know what you mean......i ve spent probably best part of two hours queueing at various tolls both ways..........although that was the boxing day week a few years back.

I always now start early to get ahead of the crowds
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowMac, there are loads of discussions about this on Snowheads. The short answer is yes, it is worth it, given that it costs next to nothing extra, but don't expect to dodge queues entirely. On Saturdays, even outside the mid-Feb/mid-March French school holiday period, you still might encounter queues (if there are two miles of solid traffic the whole thing will be jammed up). And you definitely would encounter some queues on the main New Year travel days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we have had one for years and the convenience of not having to get out a card or money is great as well as skipping the queues at busy times ( still get odd looks when a RHD car goes to one of the telepeage lanes ) brings a smaile as you pull up the barrier raises and you are on your way

think theres a €30 euro deposit against the doofer for the windscreen but on balance i'd keep mine as it is good in case the passenger is asleep or you are on your own

we use ours if we fly into gva too, in case we havent change or a card to hand
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have one its fab, did half term last Feb and loved waving at brits who passed us sat in a que...
Also good for summer holls and you get the bill a month later Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowMac, went for this last year and is well worth it IMHO - while we were travelling at quiet times, you still get through quicker than other methods. The 30KPH tolls are fab, although a little unnerving the first time!!!

There is also a pause at first one out of Calais while your tag registers.

I also find it mildly amusing to have French drivers flashing at beeping at the idiot UK driver in the wrong lane.

We also used it this year with the caravan on and still works, just head to the far right and go through the lorry lane. You get charged as Class 2

We can also get through the 2m barriers in a MPV withbox measuring 2.4m in height.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Call me stupid, but where does one acquire such a doofer whilst actually resident in France?...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Piehole, Generally see them being promoted just after tolls on some of the larger toll booths, usually a little SANEF office. Otherwise I would assume that SANEF have online website for them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the responses, seems its comes highly recommended. I've seen previous threads on this but was curious to know just how reliable it was. I've worked in transport for a long time in the UK and have had regular problems with similar units for some of our toll roads which did not work out of the box and which was discovered at the toll plazas. I didn't want to spend time when we should be driving trying to get a unit to work/using my poor French to explain it wasn't working to some bemused toll assistant!

I like the idea that it is transferable (between ski buddies?) and thanks for the suggestion cheztichot, about using from GVA, not even thought of that one wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I like the idea that it is transferable (between ski buddies?)

providing whoever gets the bill will be happy....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Laughing

wouldn't be buddies any longer if they didnt pay Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saw them at the London Ski show, about time they did a UK version, especially as I drive down to the Alps by myself, always a nightmare paying the toll out the passenger window rolling eyes

Done signed up lets see how it works out on the Pre Season Bash run Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski wrote:
saw them at the London Ski show, about time they did a UK version, especially as I drive down to the Alps by myself, always a nightmare paying the toll out the passenger window rolling eyes

Done signed up lets see how it works out on the Pre Season Bash run Very Happy
I got one a couple of years ago by visiting one of their sales offices at a peage station (just after Reims on the A26 IIRC). Used a UK credit card for the payment (although I've now switched to direct debit from a French account) and it makes travelling down by myself much less hassle than it used to be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its a bad idea, why pay more when ther is no extra charge for using cash or credit cards?

We dont want the Telepeage lanes getting blocked up.

wink wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Boredsurfing, Oh yes and it will stop my other half trying to feed the credit card slot with Euro coins Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Boris,
Quote:

livetoski, what do you mean by a UK version?

Well the stand at the London Ski show was a UK based operation still all the same company I know Confused Probably wrong phrase to use!
ski holidays
livetoski, yeah sorry I realised what you meant and deleted post, you must have just copied as I was doing so Embarassed
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, I got one from the APRR website. There was a one-off charge of 10 Euros, then they charge 1.60 Euro for each month you actually use it (so no charge if you don't use it in any given month). The toll charges are the same, but for convenience and queue jumping it is well worth it.

There are different options if you are a more regular user - I have the Liber-T Balade subscription

http://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr/particulier/toutes_nos_offres
ski holidays
Quote:

There is also a pause at first one out of Calais while your tag registers.

Useful to know.

Quote:

I also find it mildly amusing to have French drivers flashing at beeping at the idiot UK driver in the wrong lane.

Looking forward to that already
snow conditions
Mr Piehole wrote:
Call me stupid, but where does one acquire such a doofer whilst actually resident in France?...

In your case the AREA office at Annecy nord.
snow conditions
And just rember the new lanes are 30KPH not MPH

Just saying Embarassed
ski holidays
SnowMac, Highly recommend getting the electronic 'tag' from Sanef, I think its called a LiberT, I didn't pay for the actual tag. You order it online and it arrives the next day. Saves all that faffing around getting change at the tolls, especially if you are driving on your own and have to scrabble over the passenger seat to pay.
snow report
Boris, Laughing

Ordered mine yesterday at 2.30pm Tag arrived in the post today, pretty good service so far, just got too stick on my windscreen and head for the Alps on the 29th of Nov yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ski holidays
livetoski, Make sure you stick it in the blacked off area beside the rear view mirror, it wont work if you have a heated screen and you just plnk it anywhere....not hat I would have done such a thing... Embarassed
latest report
Boris wrote:
And just rember the new lanes are 30KPH not MPH

Just saying Embarassed

and a lot of them have now been removed Sad I think so could be wrong, that they are now only on the tolls that have subways for the staff to cross. Or the 30k lane doesn't require staff to cross through it.

AND the new toll plaza leaving Calais has neither dedicated TP lane Or a 30k lane Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Quote:

a lot of them have now been removed

ah, have they? I vaguely thought there were a lot fewer of them, when I drove up to Calais in August. And I'd not managed to do more than about 25 kph....
latest report
They've just added a 30kph lane on the toll plaza that didn't have one previously between Geneva and Chamonix, so now both toll plazas have them, which will be great this winter
snow conditions
livetoski, don't forget to register it online.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:

AND the new toll plaza leaving Calais has neither dedicated TP lane Or a 30k lane Sad Sad Sad

It was there when we wen through mid September, when did they remove it?
snow report
marcellus, We went through late October, it was gone Sad
There is one coming back Smile
ski holidays
And with one Les Flics have less chance to stop you and go through the palava of triangles, breathalysers ad nauseam, especially if you are doing 29.99kph!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy