Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

choose one ski resort you WOULDN'T go back to

Poster: A snowHead
Obergurgl and Hochgurgl. Stayed in a 5 star hotel last year for a pre season 3 night splurge with friends. Had the worst room with an ensuite shower and barely enough room to throw up with the door closed. I got the Noro virus.....900 euros for 2 including fab dinner for 3 nights, I managed to keep one of them down, and decorated the piste with my breakfast before retiring to my bed for most of the 3 days. Least value for money I have every experienced even without the barfing.
Thought the skiing was bleak, limited and disjointed. Did enjoy the night skiing though- I managed to recover on the middle night before heading to my bed again the next day.... Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine, it's a sort of Keighley in the Alps. Our holiday there was further enhanced in shiteness because we went with Crystal.
I would also add L2A, it was like Jeremy Kyles waiting room.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Interesting analogy, I've only just stopped giggling after 5mins!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Quote:

First time I went to Chamonix, I hated it - mainly to do with having to take crowded buses up and down the valley in bad traffic.

then

Quote:

The next (and subsequent) times I have been, I have absolutely loved it. The difference? Rented car from Geneva airport.

Does the traffic suddenly part when you are in a hire car Puzzled

No - but you are not stopping ever 300m at every bus stop, nor standing up in an extraordinarily crowded environment fr the whole journey.

Admittedly, using a car can mean parking problems, but I'd rather thesethan the bus, anytime. I'd usually drive to the lift and drop off passengers and gear, go find a place, and do the 5 minute walk back to where everyone was waiting. Still better than the Buses Of Death.

In other resorts, using a bus isn't such an issue at all. In Chamonix, the fact that a) you drive through a working town to get anywhere and b) the ski areas are disjointed and often some way from each other/where you are staying makes it a bad option.

Explained to your satisfaction?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Oh, I forgot Cervinia, good snow but terrible winds meant lots of lift closures and links to Zermatt closed all week. Did fall in love though. It didn't last.

[quote]
Corky, I am not picking on you but this is a splendid example of one of my pet peeves.

Not going back to Cervinia I can understand, it doesn't light my wick (unless a heli drop onto a glacier is involved) - but surely, making a judgement on an entire ski area based on it beeing a bit breezy on the one unlucky week you were there is irrational? [quote]
Sounds just like the week we were in Cervinia, so windy that you had to don full goggles, face mask etc just to get from hotel to pub and that's no exaggeration, we actually did it, when we got to the pub, the whole building was shaking, then some people started diving from one area of the bar just as a 10' x 6'high window crashed down on the table they had been sat at.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria, it's shoite
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So it seems to me La Plange and L2A have cropped up the most in this thread with notable mentions for Chamonix and the PDS area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in Cortina I think 2002. There was no snow whatsoever and it was the most expensive ski holiday we ever had. I doubt we would risk it again even though it owes us big time. For fear of that happening again, we only pick snow sure high resorts like Solden or Obertauern although the latter is very small.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't exactly have a list of resorts "not go back to". Because if it's so bad, I wouldn't have gone in the first place! If I were paying anyway.

But there're quite a few that I've been to because I got a freebee in some ways. And almost all of them I would go back to as long as I don't have to pay for it.

The rest of them, there're good ones I'll pay more to go back, less steller one I'd only go back if I got a smoking deal. But all of them are worth going back at the right price.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wayne wrote:
Glencoe = rain, wind, sadness Crying or Very sad
Val d'issere = happyness Very Happy

Yes its Scotland what do you expect, but if you can ski in Glencoe then you can damn well ski anywhere in the world. Not sure about the sadness bit, the views are amazing.

I learned my skiing in Glencoe 19 years ago and I've not looked back since, been all over the world skiing and Scotland too.

Cervinia - been many years ago, very windy and cold. Too many drag lifts, not sure what the lifts are like now.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have only ski ied in Aviemore is Glencoe a better resort? mind you that was years and years ago.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
biddpyat wrote:
I have only ski ied in Aviemore is Glencoe a better resort? mind you that was years and years ago.

I think this thread shows pretty well that there is no such thing as a better resort, just one that people prefer for whatever reason.
Glencoe to many who have skied it is quite simply a great place. It is not always great the weather and snow can both be a little inclement, however when the snow is good and the sun is shining the views are fabulous ,the skiing entertaining and varied and the smiles on your fellow skiers combine to give an unbeatable atmosphere whatever your level.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anywhere in France for me, too many Brits up their own backside, no nightlife and outrageous prices
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No doubt - Vallåsen- the snow is a kind of bownish. Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good point T Bar, to be honest I would ski anywhere, when off the skis for a while I get a yearning to ski, so while there are some resorts that really are more about partying than ski ing, and of course you will hit bad weather, skiing in a whiteout is not as much fun as a clear dry bright day , the resort isn't to blame for that. What I should have asked is it a wider spread area with more lifts. I have gotten to a snotty stage where I bloody hate TBars, and slow two man lifts, you know the ones that take you ages to get anywhere then you discover it is a small run that brings you onto the same run as a four man that was much faster. Sorry I am waffling. I had when we booked Aviemore thought that it had more skiing, it was fine for a weekend, and we did lots but the wind and damp was something else. However we had great craic while there, the people are fantastic so if you are willing to mess about and just shoot the breeze you can really have fun. ( france doesn't )cut the mustard that way)
snow report
Scotland. I might go for a skin but will never ski one of the resorts again.
snow report
a skin?
ski holidays
biddpyat,
Quote:

I have gotten to a snotty stage where I bloody hate TBars, and slow two man lifts

I have to say Glencoe may not be for you, the lift system is designed with the interests of engineering historians rather than futurists in mind.
snow conditions
thecramps, Flaine is nothing like Keighley in the alps!!!! There's no Balti House restaurant, no Rossi's cafe, and no where near as many Toyota/taxis.

Flaine is a well celebrated Post-Neo-Modernist-Station-de-ski. It even used to have a (real) Picasso sculpture in Flaine Forum. Keighley is a dingy Victorian mill town with a substantial number of "offcumdens" from further afield than Lancashire. Keighley is therefore a reet gradely place, wit' salt o' t'earth, lad.

BTW, big up for Keighley..........................Tim Taylors Brewery.......................Ram Tam is the winter brew made specially for Yokshire skiers, tha knos.
snow conditions
For me the worst place I've ever skied is Fopollo. Skullie
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:

Flaine is a well celebrated Post-Neo-Modernist-Station-de-ski. It even used to have a (real) Picasso sculpture in Flaine Forum.
Post-Neo-Modernist? Designed by a famous early modernist architect (Marcel Breuer)?
It used to have several sculptures by famous modernist artists. (probably friends of the architect), No doubt they made a lot of money selling them. It still has a big Dubuffet sculpture which was probably impossible to move( http://www.flaine.com/UserFiles/Image/dubuffet_flaine.jpg )

Chamonix is one of the best resorts but only if you are into off-piste. It does have too many off-piste skiers now though, so I tend to go to smaller places that aren't so well known. For skiing convenience you are better off staying in Argentierre (and the village is sunnier because the valley isn't so hemmed in by steep slopes).
latest report
skimastaaah,
"post-neo-modernist-station-de-ski"?????????????????????? You must be from Ilkley.
Keighley is a dump, so is in that respect exactly the same as Flaine, and as a proud Lancastrian, i'll leave the bigging up of Keighley to you, Timothy Taylors or not, and I'll stick to my Lancaster Red and Thwaites Lancaster bomber
snow conditions
thecramps, How'd I know you were from across the Pennines??!!?? AND not a Boddington's fan??!!??

As regards the debate on Flaine, yes Keighley is a dump, should be bombed, but I quite like Flaine, and wished it could replace Keighley!
latest report
skimastaaah, how would replacing Keighley with Flaine be any good??? We need Flaines climate, but as for the town, may as well keep Keighley.
How did you know I was from the right side of the pennines? Can't be my natural charm and tact, I don't really have any.
snow conditions
[chokes] "right side of the pennines[/chokes]........................ because you think Keighley is a place worth keeping, what about Accrington, Oldham, or indeed Bury? Skullie
ski holidays
Fair play, Lancs has some proper dumps too. I don't think Keighley is worth keeping, but no point swapping it for Flaine. Better to be lancs or yorks than a southerner though.... Agreed?
BTW, WE WON.
latest report
26 years skiing and I've not been to any resort that I wouldn't go back to - (only one apartment........)
snow report
thecramps wrote:
Flaine, it's a sort of Keighley in the Alps. Our holiday there was further enhanced in shiteness because we went with Crystal.

How very true. Not I think about it L2A was the Jeremy Kyles show on snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisb wrote:
thecramps wrote:

How very true. Now I think about it L2A was the Jeremy Kyles show on snow.
snow conditions
Montgenvre in France! - limited slopes rubbish village...overrated to say the least...
snow conditions
jez508 wrote:
Montgenvre in France! - limited slopes rubbish village...overrated to say the least...

Montgenevre has some superb skiing esp when linked to Claviere and Mont da la Lune area. Great runs from the Roche de' Aigle on or off piste. Admitted its not Espace Killy or 3vallees standard.

I've been lucky to have good snow there and good times. Agree that nightlife is crap tho !

My personal least favourites would have to be Chatel (nicknamed shitole) and Sestriere .
Could probably go back to either in better conditions and time of year and think they where fantastic.. Not convinced tho !
ski holidays
Loads of les deux alpes hate, and i can see why, we went there it was -20c at the top in the freezing wind lifts barely moving and boring slopes...all in all pretty dreadful for the price!
snow report
Les Deux Alpes is great. Loads of terrain, La Grave on the doorstep, an amazing glacial snow magnet, great home runs.
ski holidays
Obergurgl - bland skiing, apart from the trees at the top of the resort but you cant ski them all week

Mayrhofen Ski Area - Only for then poor uplift I chose to stay at Finkenberg, right next to the Gondola in the Village. A slow old gondola to half way followed by a great high speed detachable one to the top, then the reverse to get back to the valley. Hence long queues
snow conditions
Spyderman, I agree it is awful
snow conditions
MJB wrote:
death defying slope to return to La Plagne 1800.

Hmmm? Nope doesn't ring any bells and I have skied there loads of times. Unless you count the little unpisted red under the '1800' lift from 1800 up to Aime La Plagne which can get sporty in the right conditions
latest report
Vail. Flat, soulless, horribly overpriced. Went because family were there and it was just as bad as I feared.
latest report
Flaine for me. Pistes were boring, off piste f**king scary, apres dead. Still rather be going there than to work tomorrow morning...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy