Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder snow waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There was a lot of new snow in late Jan this year (and low temps as well). The skis did not want to slide in it at all. I took a wipe on general purpose wax to the resort with me but it did not help the skis much in the fresh snow.
I know that temperature and snow type mean different waxes but given that I do not want to take a full waxing kit with me whats the best way of getting skis to move in fresh snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, the best is to get a low temp wax on them, so it may mean getting a local shop to do it for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michael. You'd be surprised how helpful it is to carry a small block of general wax for rubbing into the bases when things get sticky. You rarely need it, but for new-snow days it's invaluable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I waxed my skis at home before going to Utah, using a travel iron and general purpose wax, and had no trouble (nor need for any rewaxing) on powder and then various snow conditions for the next 10 days.

He-heh, as a teenager I cold-waxed with candles and rubbed the wax in using wine corks. Most of the time it worked, too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to take a variety of waxes to rub on and have even taken irons and the whole caboodle. I bought the wax applicator to do away with all that. It is a GP wax by TOKO. TOKO LOW-FLUORO EXPRESS WAX. It says it's all temps. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I waxed my skis (with low temp) before i went to colorado and needed to get them done at the end of the first week! For me the snow conditions were the opposite to what Cedric described, it started off quite variable with a lot of old snow, and then some fresh snow fell in the second week. As soon as this happened the skis got very sticky! Sad

I'm pretty new to this whole waxing lark and would be greatful if someone could help me with the following:
When waxing skis how much wax should be scraped off?
should it be scraped off straight away or left over night?

thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go to http://www.tognar.com (I must get this linky thing going).
It tells you all you need to know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks michael, will do
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone recommend a good general all purpose wax please?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butta original i think it's called. Has the added bonus of smelling really nice and not containing fluorocarbons so is nicer to the environment too
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 14 year old thread resurrection, a new record? But then again waxing doesn't go out of fashion.

Many recommend Dominator Zoom Wax - http://www.dominatorwax.com/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WaistDeepInPow, you scrape it all off, have a look at https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Michael B, as suggested by @PowderAdict, Dominator Zoom Lime, 0C to -12C snow temperature would suit most, if its sticky you can use Zardoz not Wax over the top, which is also great for slush as well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michael B wrote:
There was a lot of new snow in late Jan this year (and low temps as well). The skis did not want to slide in it at all.

Hard snow, hard wax. You need some of the blue stuff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Michael B wrote:
There was a lot of new snow in late Jan this year (and low temps as well). The skis did not want to slide in it at all.

Hard snow, hard wax. You need some of the blue stuff.

I think he may have it sorted by now Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy