Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking into this years ski trip. Four 30 year old men normally head to the three vallies / tignes are looking to venture out to Austria. I've been to Mayrhofen 3 times and that makes me the most experienced Austria ski resort guide. We have been looking at St.Anton and Soll, but I'm not convinced on the resort height of Soll, am I correct in my thoughts?

Where in Austria would you recommend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitz, Zell or Kaprun, but it depends on when, what level of ski/board you are and what you plan to do when not skiing (party hard or chill out).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton without a doubt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would short list Ischgl and St Anton and see which fits better. More piste - Ischgl, more Off Piste - St Anton, although each has the other as well. Together with Lech they are the best 3 resorts in Austria by some distance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick-o,
Quote:
but I'm not convinced on the resort height of Soll, am I correct in my thoughts?
No.
Two reasons:
- Austria is a lot further east than France. Temperatures are generally more continental.
- Söll and similar resorts such as Kitzbühel or Saalbach are generally grassy pasture meaning you need a lot less snow to ski on that in places like Tignes, which is a rock strewn moonscape in summer.

Don't worry about snow coverage in Austria. It almost always works!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick-o, have a look at Solden too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick-o,
As mentioned check: Ischgl, St Anton, Solden, Saalbach.
Out of the lower ones - definitely try Saalbach.
I liked everywhere I've been in Austria Gastein, Obertauern, Schladming, Flachau etc..., but above should be a good start.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You don't need to worry about the hight of Soell, but St Anton and Ischgl are vastly better. Ischgl if you prefer pistes, St Anton if you prefer offpiste (though Ischgl also has great offpiste). Saalbach is definitely worth a look too, it's cheaper than the other two, not quite in the same class skiing-wise though (generally a bit more cruisy).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick-o, when are you going?

The lower resorts are to be avoided early & late in the season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, surprised you've not said Westendorf
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:
clarky999, surprised you've not said Westendorf

I love Westendorf personally (partly nostalgia probably, partly I know lots of stashes that rarely get tracked) and like to get there a few times a season, but if I were paying for a holiday, it'd be St Anton every time. I'm also happy skiing the same (relatively) few great runs over and over - I assume after those big French places the OP is looking for lots of kilometres of great skiing, and I'm not sure the rest of the SkiWelt really provides that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where looking to go the second week in January.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang, good summary of resort height in Austria!

Nick-o, we're still available that week, click the link below for more info.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another question, is St. Anton am Arlberg the same as St.Anton?!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick-o wrote:
Another question, is St. Anton am Arlberg the same as St.Anton?!

Good point... There are other St Antons. There's one in Montafon for a start, and probably others. But when people say St Anton they normally mean St Anton-am-Arlberg.
ski holidays
Haha, yup, we had guests phone us up saying they are at the train station and couldn't find the chalet. They couldn't see any of the landmarks we were telling them about. Turns out they were in St Anton am Montafon...
ski holidays
Nick-o,
Quote:

we're still available that week, click the link below for more info.

DITTO
However, it must be conceded that Saalbach is 'cruisy' - 200 km of mainly reds and blues and fully interlinked, therefore good for intermediates who like long itineraries, but only 6 black runs for those who hunger after the steep and the deep.
ski holidays
Final question, what's the name of the main lifts in St.Anton?
snow conditions
Galzigbahn. But to be honest if you're within an 8 iron from that or the nassereinbahn or even rendlbahn (very close to galzigbahn) your accommodation will be perfect.
latest report
Cheers all for the knowledge share. Much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy