Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Baqueira anyone? (or 'Some off-piste for softies'!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, anyone interested in a trip to La Baqueira? Heard it’s got masses of do-able terrain between marked runs (personal ability/snow conditions-dependent of course!) plus a vastly under-reported amount of piste skiing, so thinking a trip combining the two would make for a good week.

I’m a competent red/black run skier who’s dabbled in a bit of off-piste, enjoy it when conditions are right, certainly no expert. Thinking it would be good to have an instructor/guide initially for the off-piste, then mix that up with some on-piste cruising.
End the day with a few beers, good meal and wine, perhaps after-dinner drinks if we’re not too knackered! Could be tempted into a cheesy disco if there is one, but would ski a bit slower the next day!

Don’t have any dates/accom in mind yet, open to ideas, but do know BA flights London-Toulouse are £70 each way in Jan!
Send me a message if interested in any/all of the above(!) and, if you know the resort and have any recommendations/advice, please post!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Baqueira ? Do you mean Baqueira Beret, in Spain? It's a nice little resort, the only one is europe that I'm aware of that follows the US-style "in-bounds / out-of-bounds" approach rather than the more usual piste / off-piste. That's probably becuase they teamed up with Intrawest for a few years. Ski Miquel have a nice catered chalet there and there are a few others, in fact if you search the forum there are a few trip report knocking around

Might have a see about price in march, but getting there from manchester is a bit harder Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a good British run ski school in Baqueira, and they also run a very nice catered chalet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes nbt, that's the one. Had discounted the Pyrenees until I read some of the good reports that are out there! Be good to go somewhere not overrun with Brits. Thanks for the pointer to skinspired rob, met them at the London show, they seem a good outfit (and doing free transfers on Sundays!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baqueria Beret is a great resort, skied there earlier this year and even though they hadn't had much snow the pistes were all in fantastic condition and the off-piste looked great, need to go back with more snow and check it out.

All of the staff we encountered were genuinely friendly and helpful made for a really nice experience.

There's a bigger town (Vielha?) at the bottom of the valley with much more amenities, probably a better place to stay. (We were driving from further afield everyday as my dad has a house). If you hire a car for transfers you can drive up in the mornings or I'm sure lots of the hotels do a shuttle service if not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jude1, I'd second rob@rar's suggestion. They are good guys and have also started to offer self catered accommodation. They can usually offer resort hotel accommodation if you would prefer that. They also run transfers from Toulouse.

We often stay in Salardu, the next vallage down in a nice B&B. The food in the valley is superb and excellent value so eating is not a problem. In the past we've driven down at half term and it works out excellent value for that week.

I spent a season Instructing in the Valley a few years ago and get back most years. A lovely place.

A trip report with pics showing some of the terrain is here. We caught it after a big storm so life was good for a couple of weeks !

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1494016&highlight=baqueira#1494016
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for all the info. Great trip report and photos - looks amazing! Haven't had any interest for the trip so think I'll get a car and go exploring the valley, the villages look lovely. Did you need snow chains most of the time when you were there for the season AndAnotherThing, or do they keep the valley roads pretty clear? Let me know the name of that B&B if you have it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jude1, The roads are usually pretty good although the last time we were there I had chains on the car for most of the week, but it just snowed and snowed. The bus service is pretty good if you don't fancy mucking about with the car. I tended to use that for work so that Mrs AAT could drive up later.

The web site for the B&B is here. The lady who runs it is called Nuria and speaks English, better than my Spanish and they are all very nice.

http://www.hostalvaldaran.com/#

claverola (at) hostalvaldaran.com
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I/we ski there quite a lot and it is great. Very modern, high quality, not normally too busy. Not cheap. We have a house just over the border in France and there is always the option to ski there as well if you get a hire car.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bazerd, roughly where abouts is your place ? I keep browsing the property sites hoping to find somewhere reasonably affordable over that way.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good thread, I had not heard of Baqueira Beret, sounds interesting
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are there any other resorts close by worth visiting for a few days?
I am thinking of DIY trip Baqueira - maybe for 4 or 5 days + some other Spanish or French resort within easy drive for another 3 or so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom W, On the French side to the West you have Superbagneres and Peyragudes, the closest is maybe an hour away (although I've yet to drive it.)

To the East on the Spanish side, over the col is Espot which I have skied and is a nice little resort. To the South through the tunnel is Boi Taull with Cerler further west.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.., Thanks. It will be nice to mix it with the resort on the French side. Some good representative of Pyrenees Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom W, Have a look at the guys in this thread as well:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92702&highlight=

plus the guys in Baqueira I work with now and again:

http://baqueira.co.uk/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy