Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mondo sizes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know its been done to death, and i know i will get loads of flaming, BUT

I have looked at Mondo size charts and the difference is huge

some say a Mondo 28.5 is a UK 10, some say a Mondo 29 is a UK 10, some say a Mondo 28 is a UK 10.

Oh and before you flame me, i am booking an appointment with a bootfitter, BUT why all the difference.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timbobaggins, Got your fire extinguisher ready! Toofy Grin

It can vary by manufacturer so really you have to go by fit not figures...

Read the following link and click on the chart...it will show you how much they vary!

http://m.norfolksnowsports.com/node/2401

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 6-11-12 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a UK 10.5 foot measures to 29 mondo, tried some scarpas on today, nice fit in a 30. I guess the only way to see if a boot fits is to put it on your foot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Instead of converting just measure the length of your foot in centimetres. Use a convenient wall and a ruler with the zero at the end.

Now, do you round up or down or stand on your footbeds - a whole other story.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Size 10, Mondo 28.5 does me snugly once the feet warm up. As to why the difference - UK shoe size is based on barleycorns. Google that to be confused Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Size 12 and I use mondo 29.5!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Based on that chart my size 9s should be a 27.5 or 28, I'm in 27s and if anything they are a little loose however I can't get my foot in a smaller boot without putting my back out! My previous boots were a 26.5 but were murder to get on/off I lost track of the days lost through boot injury. I would benefit from old fashioned rear entry boots.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok to try and dispel the myth

10-15 years ago if you measured a 26.5 and put your foot into a 26.5 shell you would normally have 15mm of shell space, absolutely perfect BUT most boots are not fitted, they are tried on in the size you measure and 15mm when you do this simply feels too tight, so you would go and try another brand... the manufactures have added extra space over the years so that the boot feels great out the box when you put it on, now if you go back to the same 26.5 foot in the 26.5 shell you can have anything from 20mm (generous) to 30mm (massive) where they used to have 15mm (ideal)

all this does is tell us that shell sizing the boot is critical to get the fit you are looking for

example, i measure between 28.5 and 29.0 on a brannock measure, i use a UK11 in all my shoes, my head raptor race boot (which is a short internal size) is a size 28/28.5 shell,(which on the conversion chart is a uk 9.5), at the start of the season i put on the new salomon X Max 130 in a size 27.5 (yup 8.5 uk on the chart) and i could have skied in it without any work on the toe box at all, all the boot models are different even between models from the same brand, head raptor has an external length in a size 26.5 of 303mm where the head edge has a 309mm length in the same size

so, i am size 11 uk but fit comfortably into a size 8.5 ski boot...go figure..

shell check is key, don't trust the numbers on the sticker on the box, the measured numbers are simply a starting point, they tell the fitter more about the elongation and change of your foot size between seated and standing and help with boot and footbed selection, and can gauge tolerances around the foot based on what you measure and what size shoe you buy, for example if someone measures 27.5 and buys a size 11 shoe it is fairly obvious they do not like (or for some reason cannot tolerate) pressure around their foot, the same 27.5 foot may buy a size 7.5 or 8 and be comfortable with that...so there is no easy answer

hope that helop answer the question (a bit)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM,

Thanks, answers confusion very well thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, thx for post, have wondered a bit about this. Do you or CEM know if this is info from manufacturers?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, I'm not sure but it's the only chart I've managed to find like it? I would say it does tie in with my daughters feet though, she was in a Salomon 22.0 for nearly 2 years and once she grew out of them she went into a Nordica 22.5 for another 18 months!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM,
Interesting. I want new boots and went to S+R a few days ago, tried a few pairs recommended by fitter, I was advised that 26.5 (Equates to size 7.5 UK in S+R brochure) in Salomon Impact 120 CS was best option even though my feet are Size 9 UK. I was concerned about difference and left without buying to "think about it". He was quite clear that "Boot volume" match to your foot is the key factor to start on the route to a good fit. Your comments are giving me food for thought to return and trust fitters recommendation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy