Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan, 1st week of December snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just got words we had to take 10 days off (no pay) before the end of the year! Sad

My Dad had chosen to live in Hong Kong post-retirement. As his health isn't the most robust, I get the occasional nag of "when are you coming to visit?". It's a long way and the summer is steamy over there. This is a more pleasant season to go over anyway. I might as well make the trip now.

But with the late notice, all the cheap flights are gone between mid-December and New Year. I can head over there between now and end of November but I had to come back before the Christmas price hike.

With the weekends and a holiday coming up in late November, the 10 day off actually add up to be nearly 15-16 days holiday. So I could potentially hop over to Japan for a week of skiing! That is, if there's decent chance of good snow to play with.

I know there're a few snowheads who're winter residents in Hokkaido. I hope some of you could chime in with what the snow condition is typically like. Is it pretty decent most years? Or borderline & too iffy to bother? (this is a trip I will be making once every few years, I could wait for another year when I can plan more ahead and hit the height of the snow season if early December isn't too reliable)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Typically the Hokkaido resorts have an earlier start than the Nagano and Niigata resorts.

Niseko Resort Area snowfall recorded at approx 300 m asl

November = 40 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 110 cm (7 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 25 cm)

November = 177 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 118 cm (7 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 26 cm)

November = 109 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 49 cm (3 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 34 cm)

November = 82 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 18 cm (2 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 16 cm)

November = 49 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 12 cm (2 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 10 cm)

November = 125 cm
01 Dec - 07 Dec = 99 cm (6 snow events; biggest 24 hr snowfall of 26 cm)

Most of the pisted runs are open at the start of December.

The off piste can be no go or all time depending on what's fallen in October and November.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Mike Pow. That looks promising!

Looking at air fare. Hope to find a flight that is stopping over at Narita on my way to HKG. That would be ideal, practically a free detour to have me landed in Japan. Then I'll still have to hunt down either an internal flight, to take the bullet train, whichever is cheaper to Hokkaido. This is looking a bit tight in time to make all the necessary arrangements...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd definitely recommend flying up. Especially if limited for time. Air Asia are offering some cracking deals on Narita - Chitose. There are a number of other low cost airlines too. Also worth noting that Cathay fly direct to Hong Kong from Chitose. The Shinkansen is great, but it only goes as far as Aomori. Beyond that you're on normal trains up through the tunnel and through southern Hokkaido to Sapporo, which takes time and usually a couple of changes.

Early December is always going to be a gamble. So far, the autumn hasn't been great. Raining and warm now, with another warm spell forecast next week. Hopefully beyond that the temperatures will drop and we'll get some snow. You'll certainly be able to ski but I wouldn't bank on the Hokkaido you see in the movies!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skymark is another low cosr airline between Tokyo and Chitose.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed, Skymark are really good. Their best prices will probably have gone now for Decemer flights. (they're released exactly 2 months before)

Also worth making sure your flights are from Narita (if that's where you'll be flying into) The transfer from Narita to Haneda adds a couple of hours and a couple of thousand yen. Skymark, Air Asia and Jetstar are all worth checking. Also, don't rule out JAL, they sometimes come up with some good prices, although they have a very limited number of Narita - Chitose flights.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say go for it, but be aware that it can be pretty hit and miss, I've been in Niseko for the last 4 winters and only 2 of them had skiing the first week of December.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, my plan to get a "free" flight into Narita is definitely not happening. Flights stopping at Narita cost more than the direct flight by quite a bit. I'll look into Cathay flight straight from Hong Kong to Chitose. Depending on the flight cost, I might wait till I can see the snow condition better. I'll definitely bookmark all the information about cheap internal flight on this page for future use though.

What's the transport option from airport to mountain like? (I've been to Japan twice on business, so am comfortable to use train/bus/taxi)

Lodging?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buses straight from airport terminal to Welcome Centre in Hiarfu at the foot of the mountain. Takes around 2 1/2 hrs

Lodging, how long's a piece of string?

Duration?
Budget?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:

Lodging, how long's a piece of string?

Duration?
Budget?

Actually, I'm more on just getting an overview of lodging options available. I'm assuming this being low season for the area, availability is not an issue. So it's just a matter of how much of cost for what one gets.

I don't have a strict budget. Duration can be tailored to suit the budget too.Wink No more than a week. Might be shorter if the condition is less than great.

The last time I toured Japan (tagged on after a business trip), I somehow found a list of some sort of small family owned lodge/pension/B&B, and stayed in a few of those. It being also in the dead low of tourist season, one or two of the family places I stay I was the only guest! I quite enjoy the opportunity to have a conversation with the owner. Though that was over 10 years ago, I'm not sure if such a "program" still exist for English speaking owner of small family owned lodging to attract foreign visitors.

I don't mind sleeping on the floor (actually quite enjoyed it). But the squatting toilet part... totally different story! Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a look here for starters

http://www.powderlife.com/niseko-accommodation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, Welcome to the World of Washlets! Even certain Japanese airlines now have them. If you do stay in a 'Minshuku', family run guest house, you may end up squatting, but just remember how many breaststoke champions Japan has produced, not to mention great ski jumpers.....folding up one's futon in the morning, then lifting it into the closet followed by a good squat.....great for those lower back/thigh muscles! Mike Pow, ohisashiburi etc Am I right in thinking that buses now depart Chitose later than 15:30 for Niseko.....the old Chuo/Donan timetables?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes. Not sure how late they run, but definitely later than 15.30

Think the last bus is 21.00
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Isn't looking too likely to happen at this point. The flight from Hong Kong to Hokkaido is higher than I had in mind. With snow potential somewhat on the borderline, I can't justify the cost of the flight. So unless I stumble upon a big discount in the next week or so, I'll give it a pass for this year. Save the money till the next trip when I can plan it better.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be keeping the information in mind next time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy