Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Austrian resort for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all thinking of going to Mayrhofen in Austria in early January and taking my partner who is a complete beginner at ski ing. I picked Mayrhofen as I think it would be a good place to learn, especially on the Ahorn side with it's slowboarding chair lift and blue runs...
Just wondered what other people thought and also recommend
Looking for gentle long blues served by chairs rather than drags and a bit of lively night life would be a bonus!!
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
without any doubt Zauchensee
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon Saalbach is a great place for beginners - the Kohlmais area has a lot of suitable slopes, and there's a lot of good ski schools (not working there this season, but I'll still reccommend Fuerstauer Ski Schule).

Very up-to-date lift system, most of the drags have already been removed (plans for the rest to be removed too). Ticks your nightlife box too wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kabby, lots of good places. Seefeld seems to be a favourite. The Ski Welt has a lot for beginners. Saalbach, Kitzbühel, Zugspitz Arena, all good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seefeld does have a very good ski school for kids and enough skiing very close to the town for the first week. Second week adults might want to go elsewhere (Gschwandtkopf is a bit steep for learners & Rosshütte is a bit of a trek), but it is a very nice resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Simples - any resort with snow Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with Mushers advice about Seefeld. I took the wife there on her first ever ski holiday earlier this year. As a slow learner she spent the whole week on the learner slopes on the Geigenbuehl lift. Whilst she was ok on the slopes there I do think she would have struggled to progress to most of the slopes on the Gschwandtkopf and Roshutte hills. I've skied several red slopes in the Dolomites which were less steep than several blue slopes in Seefeld.

And I personally thought that the ski school was poor for both me and the wife. I wasn't impressed with either of the Austrian instructors I had and the wife wasn't impressed with her Welsh speaking instructor. Two other groups who both had English instructors did seem to learn and progress very well though. Just goes to show that getting a good instructor is a real lottery even in a well renowned school such as Seefeld.

Hope I have better luck this winter in Wagrain
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all so much for all your advise and replies. Mulling over a few of the recommendations, but think it's gonna be Mayrhofen after all.... Thanks everybody
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rohrmoos - Fantastic learner slopes, served by a gondola and or slow loading chair. When she improves she can uplift on a chondola! and quite cheap!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, what's a chondola?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/K-TAAhFgfLM
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
darn those queues and crowds! Ange Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Looking for gentle long blues served by chairs rather than drags "

Doesn't Mayrhofen still have quite a few T Bars on both the Penken and Ahorn slopes or have these been replaced by chairs now?

And if you do choose Mayrhofen and the queues are too long for the Penken gondola, you can catch a bus to the next village of Finkenberg and get the gondola from there which should be much quieter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmybog, IIRC there are a few on the Penken side, though avoidable, often. I don't remember any at Ahorn, though to be fair didn't spend more than a few hours there.

It wasn't quite so much the uplift in the mornings, but the download in the afternoons that slightly irked. As mentioned, though, other options available.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Erm. Was the opposite for me (but I've not been for a long time). Couple of T-Bars on the Ahorn (maybe they've been replaced?), don't remember seeing any on the Penken at all (but it was many years ago, and memory a bit hazy now).
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

That's WEIRD!! What's the point? Same speed as a chair (slower than normal gondola), but still have to take the skis off..?
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:

That's WEIRD!! What's the point? Same speed as a chair (slower than normal gondola), but still have to take the skis off..?

Quite a few of them popping up, there's one in Lech (Wiebermahd) and Mayrhofen (Penken combibahn). Two seperate queues so you can either take the chair (keep skis on) or the gondola which IMHO is better for beginners.
snow conditions
Saalbach would be superb for both of you, There is a small nursery slope where she can learn the basics in safety. At the top of the nursery cross the road and you can get various lifts to miles of great skiing, some vry easy blues for your girl to join you on later in the week. There are also some of the best Après bars I've ever been to at the top of the nursery where you can meet.
snow report
Quote:

I reckon Saalbach is a great place for beginners

I do agree (well, I would, wouldn't I?), but seriously folks, there are a couple of good village-level beginners' areas (so, unlike Mayrhofen, no need to queue for cable cars to go up and down the mountain, or to invest in a lift pass until it's time to progress).

The Turmwiese nursery slopes are served by a quite new, slow-loading chairlift that is only 400 meters long (70m vertical therefore non-daunting), for which a relatively cheap 'pay as you go' points card can be purchased.
The smaller Kreuzkappelle nursery area is ideal for complete novices, and (as far as I know) there isn't any charge for using the little drag lift that serves it.

When it's time to progress, the points card can also be used for the Kohlmaisgipfel gondola or chair, both of which take you up to the mid-point on the Kohlmais mountain, from where blue piste 52 provides an ideal, quite gentle and meandering 4.5 km descent to the village, ending at the Turmwiese nursery area. An added bonus is that there are some really nice restaurants and apres-ski venues on the way down, which provide some welcome relief for tired legs, empty stomachs and parched throats (especially if the weather's bad) as well as being ideal rendezvous points for beginners to meet up with the others, either for lunch or around 4pm when 'the party starts'.

Once piste 52 has been mastered, the novice skier can choose from the whole array of blue runs on the Kohlmais and Bernkogel mountains (all of which end up down in the village, so again no scrumming for lifts). (The piste map is downloadable from www.saalbach.com)
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Quite a few of them popping up, there's one in Lech (Wiebermahd) and Mayrhofen (Penken combibahn). Two seperate queues so you can either take the chair (keep skis on) or the gondola which IMHO is better for beginners.

Gondolas and detachable chairs run at the same speed ~ 5mps
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy